PDA

View Full Version : trans. problem

stock94
06-20-2009, 06:43 AM
My car is an 05 GT with an automatic trans, last night while driving on the freeway the OD/OFF light in the dash started flashing, I turned the OD off on the shifter all it did was make it drop out of overdrive, I turned it back on and it went back into overdrive with no problem. At this time it seems to be acting ok, anybody have a clue what that means? Oh yeah the light is still flashing.:confused:

qkjuicedpony
06-20-2009, 06:50 AM
Check the fluid?

93cobra1928
06-20-2009, 06:53 AM
Definately have an issue with the OD, on the older cars when that happened and you disengaged the OD and the problem went away, the lock up solenoid was bad, the newer cars I'm not so sure.

Get it scanned at a parts store or a shop that you have a hook-up with and the trouble code will point you in the right direction.

QWKSNKE
06-21-2009, 12:38 AM
Check the fluid?

Can't check the fluid on a 5r55 tranny unless you modify it and put a dipstick in.

I agree with 93cobra, have the codes scanned. It should have stored a code

qkjuicedpony
06-21-2009, 05:49 AM
Well I's jus be guessing at dys shit you knowz?

I have 5 service trucks and they all blink the OD light when the fluid gets a bit low:D

stock94
06-21-2009, 08:46 AM
I'll see about getting fluid checked and any service codes. thanks for direction

QWKSNKE
06-21-2009, 08:53 AM
Well I's jus be guessing at dys shit you knowz?

I have 5 service trucks and they all blink the OD light when the fluid gets a bit low:D

:rofl:

Wasn't disagreeing. Just don't know how you can check or add fluid since it is a sealed tranny

TheJeanyus
06-21-2009, 08:56 AM
Can't check the fluid on a 5r55 tranny unless you modify it and put a dipstick in.
Somebody should kick the shit out of the engineer who thought that was a good idea...and this is coming from another engineer. :shake:

qkjuicedpony
06-21-2009, 11:38 AM
Somebody should kick the shit out of the engineer who thought that was a good idea...and this is coming from another engineer. :shake:

Since we can't find THAT engineer....Will you be his substitute?

:jester:

QWKSNKE
06-21-2009, 12:40 PM

Go to Mercedes. Same company that makes their trannys makes the mustang one

TheJeanyus
06-21-2009, 02:41 PM
Go to Mercedes. Same company that makes their trannys makes the mustang one
I never thought I'd forget who made them after all of the sorts we had to do on them...but I can't remember. :doh:

QWKSNKE
06-22-2009, 06:51 AM
seems like it is a company in South Africa

93cobra1928
06-22-2009, 04:58 PM
If I remember I will look tomorrow and see what is on the id tag or ask the process engineer, all I know is they ship from Germany as do the engines and transfer cases.

jah81592
06-26-2009, 05:27 AM

I agree with 93cobra, have the codes scanned. It should have stored a code

You can check the fluid! what you have to do is look on the pan there will be a large hex and a small 1/8 plug. The large hex is the drain and the small plug is the filler hole. start the car up get it to operating temp then put fluid into the tranny from the middle (1/8 plug) once the fluid starts coming out with a slow drip put the plug back in and roll. It takes some time but is do able. I have done this on many trans I have serviced. I made a tool with a 1/8 pipe to my hose and I use a small pump to put the fluid into the tranny. I will remove the fitting to see if the level is correct (dripping slowly).-j

RTGreen
07-13-2009, 02:09 PM
Sounds like a solenoid issue, but pull the codes first. I know that in 2004+ Explorers when the OD was flashing the solenoid was going out.

waypastcrazy
07-13-2009, 03:51 PM
You can check the fluid! what you have to do is look on the pan there will be a large hex and a small 1/8 plug. The large hex is the drain and the small plug is the filler hole. start the car up get it to operating temp then put fluid into the tranny from the middle (1/8 plug) once the fluid starts coming out with a slow drip put the plug back in and roll. It takes some time but is do able. I have done this on many trans I have serviced. I made a tool with a 1/8 pipe to my hose and I use a small pump to put the fluid into the tranny. I will remove the fitting to see if the level is correct (dripping slowly).-jkey thing here is (I made a tool)

GIJoe
07-18-2009, 07:26 AM
Its low fluid. The O/D light blinks when the fluid level is low!. Put about 1/3--1/4 quart in the dip stick hole. Start with 1/4. Then clear the computer. Problem will be fixed.
Dave

93cobra1928
07-19-2009, 07:23 PM
Its low fluid. The O/D light blinks when the fluid level is low!. Put about 1/3--1/4 quart in the dip stick hole. Start with 1/4. Then clear the computer. Problem will be fixed.
Dave

See post #4 :rolleyes: