PDA

View Full Version : ProM has gone out of business!

93Cobra#2771
03-22-2005, 07:47 AM
http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?p=4582663#post4582663

Evidently, the rumors circulating last week were true...

CrazyInBlack
03-22-2005, 08:08 AM
damn that sucks, i was gonna order one with my blower for my cobra

QWKSNKE
03-22-2005, 08:17 AM
that does suck. to bad other MAF manufacturers are not nice enough to provide you with a flow sheet

93Cobra#2771
03-22-2005, 08:40 AM
There are a couple of other things in the works as well:

• Former employees of ProM are attempting to restart the company, doing their bread and butter - MAF's only

• AFM is getting into the MAF game to complement their PMS system.

I'm sure a bunch more rumors/stuff will hit the pipeline before the dust settles...

EZ SPEED
03-22-2005, 08:55 AM
I always thought that the ProM meters were cheezy and cheap looking. Never understood the "calibrated for xx# injector thing either.

My first experiance with fuel injected cars was in the GM world, so the calibrated for injector blah blah thing was weird to me

SCT meters have their own files that are loaded into the tuning file.

But I am still a Newbie at the tuning thing..so what do I know :jester:

QWKSNKE
03-22-2005, 09:24 AM
I always thought that the ProM meters were cheezy and cheap looking. Never understood the "calibrated for xx# injector thing either.

yeah the pro-m 'bullet' MAFs were cheap, cheesy, flimsy, etc looking but the other MAFs were made similar to the Ford casting. Univers are very well made, actually kind of heavy.

Can't remember what you had told me about the GM mafs other than they were not calibrated for injectors. I think the reason ford aftermarket mafs are done that way is so that you can install the MAF without having somebody chip/flash the PCM for you or that was the way it was suppose to be. :shrug:

93Cobra#2771
03-22-2005, 09:33 AM
Can't remember what you had told me about the GM mafs other than they were not calibrated for injectors.
That is the case with the Ford meters as well. They all use the same electronics, and the MAF transfer curve and the hi and low injector slopes handle the injector sizes...

Doug904
03-22-2005, 09:37 AM
Good riddens to bad rubbish!

C&L can provide you with a flow sheet as well but even though you can't get much better then a Ford Meter, and then a SCT if you can't get a Ford to support your Hp levels. Atleast C&L does use the ford electronics too.

Later Doug

QWKSNKE
03-22-2005, 10:00 AM
unfortunately the only good meter that ford has is a lightning meter which is not a direct bolt in for pre-94 cars. Even if it was, I am already beyond the power level that it can support.
Will SCT offer a meter that is a direct replacement for pre-94 cars?
C&L should provide a flow sheet with all their meters instead of making you request it.

I personally like pro-m because of the flow sheet that was provided to you (from a self tuner standpoint) I know Brian (Italian LX) had discussed ditching his C&L 76 and swapping over to something along the lines of a Pro-M 80 a while back.

QWKSNKE
03-22-2005, 10:02 AM
That is the case with the Ford meters as well. They all use the same electronics, and the MAF transfer curve and the hi and low injector slopes handle the injector sizes...

let me clarify. Aftermarket mafs for GM's are not ordered based off injector size like aftermarket MAFs for Fords such as pro-m, c&l, and granatelli

EZ SPEED
03-22-2005, 10:04 AM
Will SCT offer a meter that is a direct replacement for pre-94 cars?
C&L should provide a flow sheet with all their meters instead of making you request it.

Why are you worried about a direct replacement meter? The supercharger you had to fabricate to make it work...so why not splice in a SCT 2400 MAF? ;)

QWKSNKE
03-22-2005, 10:18 AM
Why are you worried about a direct replacement meter? The supercharger you had to fabricate to make it work...so why not splice in a SCT 2400 MAF? ;)

splicing isn't the issue. Its getting the big ass bolt flange ground off that plastic meter without ruining it (it looks like its plastic anyhow) so that it would fit any procharger setup or pre-94 cars. Does SCT's 'secret' forums offer files to change it to a blow thru. I am assuming not since it is advertised on their site as a draw-thru only

Wall96cobra
03-22-2005, 10:28 AM
splicing isn't the issue. Its getting the big ass bolt flange ground off that plastic meter without ruining it (it looks like its plastic anyhow) so that it would fit any procharger setup or pre-94 cars. Does SCT's 'secret' forums offer files to change it to a blow thru. I am assuming not since it is advertised on their site as a draw-thru only

I know Chris Johnson has used the SCT meter in a blowthru, the sct and LMAF meters can be used in a pre-94 car with an adapter and a step down silicone coupler. I still think the black plastic meters are ugly as hell though and I personally love my Pro M univer.

Scothew
03-22-2005, 10:41 AM
Tacbear has a pro-m 80mm that got great gains on my car acctually. I was impressed with it. Not really sure how it would do with the tune and setup I have now though. It was the chrome 80mm style which looked nice.

Sad to hear they are going out of biz though, now univers will be even more expensive and harder to find.

NightHawk756
03-22-2005, 11:13 AM
I'm selling my c&l 76mm to go with one of sct's maf's. I don't have to worry about the looks, since it will be in my fenderwell. ;)

NightHawk756
03-22-2005, 11:14 AM
Tacbear has a pro-m 80mm that got great gains on my car acctually. I was impressed with it. Not really sure how it would do with the tune and setup I have now though. It was the chrome 80mm style which looked nice.

Sad to hear they are going out of biz though, now univers will be even more expensive and harder to find.That was actually my Pro-m 80. I have it back now and it'll be on Ebay soon!! ;)

QWKSNKE
03-22-2005, 11:45 AM
how much do you want for the 80 Brad. What injectors is it for? I am wanting a 24# 80mm for my 88 GT

Scothew
03-22-2005, 11:47 AM
I believe its calibrated for 19's, but since 19's on a gt uses the same transfer as 24's on a stock cobra it worked fine for me.

NightHawk756
03-22-2005, 01:27 PM
Yeah it's for 19's. ;)

93Cobra#2771
03-22-2005, 01:43 PM
Don't know if you guys have seen this thread or not, but evidently AFM and Granatelli are stepping up to bat:

http://www.stangtuning.com/showthread.php?t=2418&page=2&pp=15

Italian LX
03-22-2005, 02:11 PM
I always thought that the ProM meters were cheezy and cheap looking.
:lol: This coming from someone that just bought a plastic meter? :rofl: :rofl:

QWKSNKE
03-22-2005, 03:27 PM
Don't know if you guys have seen this thread or not, but evidently AFM and Granatelli are stepping up to bat:

http://www.stangtuning.com/showthread.php?t=2418&page=2&pp=15

thanks for the site Richard. Hadn't been there before

EZ SPEED
03-23-2005, 03:56 AM
:lol: This coming from someone that just bought a plastic meter? :rofl: :rofl:

But they are not trying to hide it ;) and all I used was the electronics pack not the housing :jester:

And it doesnt have a bunch of handwritten crap all over it :rolleyes:

93Cobra#2771
03-23-2005, 06:58 AM
Handwritten = Custom... :D

NightHawk756
03-23-2005, 11:02 AM
Nevermind. Looks like I won't be selling the c&l for right now. JMS said they should be able to tune it. If not, they'll have the sct meter there to swap out. ;)

QWKSNKE
03-23-2005, 12:15 PM
I didn't know you were selling a C&L. I thought it was a pro-m

NightHawk756
03-23-2005, 12:38 PM
I didn't know you were selling a C&L. I thought it was a pro-mI have two meters. The Pro-M is an 88mm unit calb'd for 19's. The c&l came with the turbo kit and it's a 76mm calb'd for 42's. ;)

joker
03-23-2005, 01:06 PM
Change your mind about just running a stand alone system Brad?

NightHawk756
03-24-2005, 10:35 AM
Yep, when I finally decided on the one I wanted with all options I needed, It came out to over $2 grand and that's without all the dyno time I'd pay for to learn the system and get it tuned right. I decided to go with an SCT tune and a good EBC and WB. And I'm still way less than $2 grand going that route. ;)

joker
03-24-2005, 08:13 PM
Yep, when I finally decided on the one I wanted with all options I needed, It came out to over $2 grand and that's without all the dyno time I'd pay for to learn the system and get it tuned right. I decided to go with an SCT tune and a good EBC and WB. And I'm still way less than $2 grand going that route. ;)
I can definitely see where it would come close to 2k. Which model stand alone were you looking at? I started looking at some of the sds stuff this morning but still have looked into it enough to tell which verion would have all the bells and whistles I would want.

NightHawk756
03-24-2005, 08:40 PM
I can definitely see where it would come close to 2k. Which model stand alone were you looking at? I started looking at some of the sds stuff this morning but still have looked into it enough to tell which verion would have all the bells and whistles I would want. It doesn't come close, it's over 2 grand. I was looking at the AEM. Since it has electronic boost control built in, WB02 etc. The best price I got on the unit was $1495 then $350 for the WB02 then $45 for the boost control solenoid, then $150 for the 3.5 bar map sensor. That comes to $2040. And that doesn't include the dyno time it'll take to get familiar. Most guys with AEM's are also suggesting to have the first intial start up tune done by an AEM tuner since it's rather complicated. So, we're getting into some serious money here.

Don't get me wrong, I want to learn how to tune. But I'm not sure I have the time and dedication it'll take to learn a stand-alone. Plus the overall cost is another factor. ;)