PDA

View Full Version : A/C compressor squeaking

Matt2105
06-27-2009, 05:22 PM
Ok so Ive had this squeaky noise on startup for a little while now. Today I finally had time to take off the serpentine belt and find out what it was.

It's the dreaded A/C compressor. When I spin the pully, I can hear the friction.

My question is, is this just the A/C clutch or is it the compressor. I still get cold air in the cabin which is why I ask and replacing the clutch would be much easier as well as cheaper.

BTW: The serpentine belt is not the problem. Only a few weeks old.

EHardy1971
06-27-2009, 05:59 PM
It's the A/C clutch,and yes,it can be replaced. I've done a few of them.

Matt2105
06-27-2009, 06:17 PM
It's the A/C clutch,and yes,it can be replaced. I've done a few of them.

Can I replace it on the vehicle? The main reasoning is because I dont want to deal with emptying the system and then getting it refilled, etc...

Any instructions for me?

EHardy1971
06-27-2009, 07:47 PM
Can I replace it on the vehicle? The main reasoning is because I dont want to deal with emptying the system and then getting it refilled, etc...

Any instructions for me?
Yes,you can do it on the vehicle. Disconnect the electrical connector,and take off the belt. There is a small bolt in the center of the pulley (should be 5/16" or 8 mm) that needs to come out. If it won't break loose without the pulley spinning,you might have to go rent the special tool they make for those. Once the bolt is out,the clutch should slide off. Assembly is in reverse order. If you hit any snags,PM me.:nice:

QWKSNKE
06-27-2009, 08:04 PM
yep. what he said.
Most do require shimming though

93cobra1928
06-27-2009, 09:00 PM
yep. what he said.
Most do require shimming though

+1 setting the airgap properly is the key to long service life