PDA

View Full Version : turbo questions

tayzoid1
07-22-2009, 10:38 AM
ok so i have been reading up on some junkyard turbo setups and it really doesnt seem hard mechanicly im just gonna have to get some headers mount one up backwards make sure there is enough clearance for everything buy the turbo piping and sleeves and convert my holly to a blow through setup or buy an enclosure, i was wondering i know the benifits of an intercooler are undeniable but do i absolutly have to run one? also am i missing anything besides gaskets and lil things? and lastly am i thinking this is gonna be too easy? i would love to do it and i belive my fuel system is up to par for lower boost applications im just tryin to make some cheaper power because i have access to alot of the fabrication tools at school leave some input and and mixed feeling anything is appriciated!

thanks!
taylor

TheJeanyus
07-22-2009, 11:52 AM
Putting it together is probably pretty easy. Getting it to run right is probably not.

An intercooler will give you a cooler intake air temp, which allows you to run more timing. You do not need one, but you will have to retard the timing to compensate for the hotter air.

coupe
07-22-2009, 11:54 AM
am i thinking this is gonna be too easy?
Yes.

1)Flipped shorty headers will require an oil filter relocation kit.
2)The "hotside piping" (crossover pipe, mounting pipe, flange, downpipe, and connecting it to existing or custom exhaust) will probably still be somewhere between $1200 and $1500.
3)You will need a wastegate, which ranges from about $200 to $500, depending on brand.
4)With a stickshift, you will want a "Blowoff valve" for gearchanges, etc. Figure another $200 or so.
5)Converting to blow-through carb can be done relatively inexpensively if you know about carbs, but it can also cost alot of money for the big names.

An intercooler is probably not necessary for 400-500hp on about 10-15psi...I've seen cars run fine without it, just make sure the timing is set appropriately.

Oh... and then there's the turbo. Something in the 400-600hp range I would assume? Something like this new from a reputable place would run $800-1200, depending on specific size. They can be found used for half that, but often times need a rebuild, which starts at about $300 and can escalate quickly.

SlowJoe
07-22-2009, 12:07 PM
also a good wide band so u can keep a check on A/F. and a good fuel reg.

QWKSNKE
07-22-2009, 01:13 PM

An intercooler is probably not necessary for 400-500hp on about 10-15psi.

I disagree with this statement on a street car that is driven in traffic.

Personally, I wouldn't run any turbo car without an intercooler. Of course, I wouldn't run a supercharger car without one either

tayzoid1
07-22-2009, 01:31 PM
Yes.

1)Flipped shorty headers will require an oil filter relocation kit.
2)The "hotside piping" (crossover pipe, mounting pipe, flange, downpipe, and connecting it to existing or custom exhaust) will probably still be somewhere between $1200 and $1500.
3)You will need a wastegate, which ranges from about $200 to $500, depending on brand.
4)With a stickshift, you will want a "Blowoff valve" for gearchanges, etc. Figure another $200 or so.
5)Converting to blow-through carb can be done relatively inexpensively if you know about carbs, but it can also cost alot of money for the big names.

An intercooler is probably not necessary for 400-500hp on about 10-15psi...I've seen cars run fine without it, just make sure the timing is set appropriately.

Oh... and then there's the turbo. Something in the 400-600hp range I would assume? Something like this new from a reputable place would run $800-1200, depending on specific size. They can be found used for half that, but often times need a rebuild, which starts at about $300 and can escalate quickly.
i was thinking i was gonna use same style longtubes like whats on the car, will this not work? and could i not fab up the exhaust myself? i knew i was gonna need the blow-off valve and the wastegate thats a given i just didnt list it. i have alot of friends that can find me the stuff used but as far as getting it to run right, Coupe. how would i go about getting this done. i have read alot on this at turbomustangs.com and basically after you drill out your powervalve tubes its all in trying to find that sweet spot with jet changes is this incorrect? i honestly never had any exspirence with turbo's so anything i am saying is just knowing the general idea and is subject to be very wrong so just let me know. anyone who see i am going in the wrong direction

TheJeanyus
07-22-2009, 01:42 PM
I'm 99% sure you can't flip long tubes and make it work. I don't think there is enough room.

SlowJoe
07-22-2009, 02:02 PM
I'm 99% sure you can't flip long tubes and make it work. I don't think there is enough room.

+1 shorties is the best bet.

klu408
07-22-2009, 05:57 PM
I have seen alot of people make their own crossover pipe and such out of exhaust tubing and worked good for that hp range..

And about the oil filter relocation kit, you could do like I did and just get a FL-400s oil filter and it will clear the shortys flipped.

And BLOW THRU carbs dont work !!!!!!! :jester::jester::jester::jester::jester:
Just ask Joecoupe and Clyde..

Dale McPeters
07-22-2009, 06:50 PM
I disagree with this statement on a street car that is driven in traffic.
Personally, I wouldn't run any turbo car without an intercooler. Of course, I wouldn't run a supercharger car without one either

Lee,

Matt is correct about the intercooler. I will not be running an intercooler out here in the desert at 15-16 lbs of boost.
By the way you know how hot it gets out here.

It all depends on how efficient the turbo/turbo's or superchargers are.....

There is also a turbocharged '69 comaro that was running a turbo making 12lbs of boost and did not have an intercooler. And it ran extremely well. :D
It now has one on it but only because he is running the 10.5 class on a regular basis.

Now with all that being said if the car is going to be a daily driver and being driven in downtown Atlanta Ga at rush hour.....well then you need an intercooler with ice and a 50 gallon meth injection kit....:lol:

qkjuicedpony
07-22-2009, 06:59 PM
We havent ran an intercooler on the last 3 blow-thru cars and they were all 20 psi+ and ran 8's

tayzoid1
07-22-2009, 10:25 PM
ok so longtubes are out my battery is already relocated to the trunk and blow-throughs dont work so how do i run a turbo on a carbed car and not run a 600 dollar enclosure?

coupe
07-22-2009, 10:28 PM
turbomustangs.com (www.theturboforums.com (http://www.theturboforums.com)) is your best bet. There is a carb section for blow-thru and I'm not into it really so I'm the last person you'll want to talk to about it. Klu408 has made good progress with his setup though...keep that in consideration if you decide to try this.

EHardy1971
07-22-2009, 11:07 PM
There's always room........

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/staticfiles/NGC/StaticFiles/Images/Show/26xx/266x/2662_Demolition-derby-tech-4_04700300.jpg

:jester:

Taylor,you also have to take your rotating assembly into consideration. What kind of pistons and compression are you currently running? Head gaskets? Oil pressure?,etc. As Coupe said,it's not a simple bolt on,and to do it right ain't cheap. Just some food for thought.;)

tayzoid1
07-23-2009, 09:54 AM
im using factory e7's that are going to be ported. i have the factory displacment motor and gonna rebuild it and have it running and driving before anything is done about the turbo. so its gonna be a fresh 302 with ported fatory e7's as far as compression i dont know what it is factory so i am assuming its not going to be so high that its gonna hurt to run a turbo considering mine runs fine on 87(when it was 4bucks a gallon) so basically i am up against fabbing tthe exhaust, fitting the turbo, and tuning the carb. and basically everything else is making sure it will fit under the hood right?

coupe
07-23-2009, 09:58 AM
Sounds simple...but I would still set aside a $couple-thousand... just in case.

TheJeanyus
07-23-2009, 10:00 AM
Are you going to have a stock trans behind this? That's something else to consider. :bomb:

Sendero
07-23-2009, 10:26 AM

:bs: I wanna see pictures. :jester:

tayzoid1
07-23-2009, 10:29 AM
Are you going to have a stock trans behind this? That's something else to consider. :bomb: nahh already have my tko 600 and spec stage 3 behind it along with 4-10's

tayzoid1
07-23-2009, 10:30 AM
Sounds simple...but I would still set aside a $couple-thousand... just in case.
hey you know this stuff way better than i do it was just an idea. if i can get some used stuff fairly cheap im gonna try to put this in the welding shop at school as a project that will get me some "welding exspirence" so i can fab up everything there while im in school and its free and im gonna be there everyday anyway lol.

TheJeanyus
07-23-2009, 10:46 AM
:bs: I wanna see pictures. :jester:
I think it will work if you cut a hole in the front end so the turbo can stick out. :jester:

tayzoid1
07-23-2009, 11:15 AM
I think it will work if you cut a hole in the front end so the turbo can stick out. :jester: lets do it!!!! who needs headlights!

SlowJoe
07-23-2009, 11:53 AM
it will not like the 4.10s

tayzoid1
07-23-2009, 01:02 PM
its the equivalent to a t-5 and 373's its not geared as high as you would think. it worked great as my daily driver but i may still drop down but if other people can get grip with slicks, why cant i with a good set and a lil suspention and rear end work.

SlowJoe
07-23-2009, 01:13 PM
turbos love to under a load!

tayzoid1
07-23-2009, 01:27 PM
i very well may step the gearing down im just try to piece this kit together and once i get it all then it will be on to the fabrication

qkjuicedpony
07-23-2009, 08:18 PM
I can sell you a twin turbo kit with t3/t4 turbos for 900.

Sendero
07-23-2009, 08:45 PM
I think it will work if you cut a hole in the front end so the turbo can stick out. :jester:

Ram Air Intake!

tayzoid1
07-23-2009, 09:51 PM
I can sell you a twin turbo kit with t3/t4 turbos for 900. does it bolt on or what? is it for a carbed car? what all would i need to make it work? is it just the turbo's and the headers or what let me know im am interested