PDA

View Full Version : anybody got a cam?

tayzoid1
09-17-2009, 01:53 PM
anybody got a realy lumpy cam for a 302. i would like new with lifters but im not real picky the car is supposed to have a f-303 in it but im not sure if it does post up what ya got. just wanting to change things up a lil. wanting to run it mostly n/a but gonne be givin it the jug soon

TheJeanyus
09-17-2009, 03:06 PM
More cam probably won't do anything other than kill your low end unless you have the heads and intake to support it...just throwing that out there.

tayzoid1
09-17-2009, 04:11 PM
just lookin for a lil more thump. ive already pullin out the motor and having to separate everything so might as well try a diffrent cam to see the results.planing something big involving so non/na stuff so was wanting a nitrous freindly cam and if this actually is an f-303 i might leave it but, i dont belive it is.

93cobra1928
09-17-2009, 04:52 PM
More cam probably won't do anything other than kill your low end unless you have the heads and intake to support it...just throwing that out there.

:yup: :agree:

QWKSNKE
09-17-2009, 09:39 PM
Really need to think about combos before throwing $200-$300 cams in

tayzoid1
09-17-2009, 10:37 PM
well this is whats the deal is i cant afford to do everything at once i know i want a higher reving combo which is gonna mean taller intake than what i have(victor,funnelweb,ect,) i know the cam isnt going to help much.....right now. but, if i have the chance to do a good cam now why not.because im not just gonna throw a cam in and say...ok im done. i just cant afford to go buy everything to rebuild this motor buy al;uminum heads, better intake,nitrous, and everything lol or the car wouldnt have been sitting this long. thats all im saying i know the shorterm benifits arent that great. but, the long ones i can see turning out pretty good.....makin any sense?

rtusnake
09-17-2009, 11:49 PM
Really need to think about combos before throwing $200-$300 cams in

Man I need to build a pushrod

klu408
09-18-2009, 03:37 AM
I got a BIG solid roller (.690 lift) that'll give you that thump you want!

Wickd GT
09-18-2009, 05:21 AM
You have to consider that with the lumpy cam comes the springs to support it. Just putting a cam in that is pretty big the only thing is going to do is break springs and then drop a valve and motor is done for sure. I have a big crower Hydr roller. 522/542 lift and .250/.262 at .050 with a 114 lobe separation. This is for supercharger/Nitrous.

Edgar

QWKSNKE
09-18-2009, 06:54 AM
well this is whats the deal is i cant afford to do everything at once i know i want a higher reving combo which is gonna mean taller intake than what i have(victor,funnelweb,ect,) i know the cam isnt going to help much.....right now. but, if i have the chance to do a good cam now why not.because im not just gonna throw a cam in and say...ok im done. i just cant afford to go buy everything to rebuild this motor buy al;uminum heads, better intake,nitrous, and everything lol or the car wouldnt have been sitting this long. thats all im saying i know the shorterm benifits arent that great. but, the long ones i can see turning out pretty good.....makin any sense?

Do like most of us do. Figure out a combo you want. Buy the parts slowly and as they come in put them in a closet or in the corner of the garage until you have everything. Then assemble the new combo

qkjuicedpony
09-18-2009, 07:44 AM
Do like most of us do. Figure out a combo you want. Buy the parts slowly and as they come in put them in a closet or in the corner of the garage until you have everything. Then assemble the new combo

Yes.

Do it once and do it right.

Dont keep pulling it apart every few months just to put the latest shiny part on it

stangman
09-18-2009, 08:26 AM
I've got a XE266HR for 200.00 and a F303 for 125.00. The F was in my car for 3000 miles and I sold the short block minus cam. The XE was bought from a buddy and it looks new.

tayzoid1
09-18-2009, 09:39 AM
You have to consider that with the lumpy cam comes the springs to support it. Just putting a cam in that is pretty big the only thing is going to do is break springs and then drop a valve and motor is done for sure. I have a big crower Hydr roller. 522/542 lift and .250/.262 at .050 with a 114 lobe separation. This is for supercharger/Nitrous.

Edgar
the car has double valve springs so im assuming they have been upgraded from factory. the car has an aftermarket cam in it i just dont think its as radical as an f-303.

tayzoid1
09-18-2009, 09:40 AM
Yes.

Do it once and do it right.

Dont keep pulling it apart every few months just to put the latest shiny part on it
i got what yall are sayin and probably should just chill so nevermind. ill figure something out when it gets further down the road

coupe
09-18-2009, 09:54 AM
car is supposed to have a f-303 in it but im not sure ...the car has double valve springs so im assuming they have been upgraded from factory. Sounds liek you don't even know what you have now... so I would certainly get that squared away before making changes... Guessing on this stuff is a recipe for a poorly performing combination. Get the right parts one time...there are some already well-proven combos even on this board!

stangman
09-18-2009, 10:06 AM
Sounds liek you don't even know what you have now... so I would certainly get that squared away before making changes... Guessing on this stuff is a recipe for a poorly performing combination. Get the right parts one time...there are some already well-proven combos even on this board!
+1 once you spend the $ you don't want to look back and say wtf was i thinking!

tayzoid1
09-18-2009, 10:37 AM
i already stated i dont think the car has and f-303 in it. this is what the previous owner told me. also said it was a rebuilt motor.......and now im rebuilding it. so no im not sure what cam is in it thats why i want to buy one that i want install it. and then do my top end work so the motor deosnt have to come out again when i get the other stuff bought. nor do i have to dissasemble the whole front clip to put the cam in.but like i said in the above post i guess im gonna take yall advise like i always have and chill with the cam ive got. make sure its a f-cam and then go from there

thanks!
taylor

QWKSNKE
09-18-2009, 02:57 PM
. Get the right parts one time...there are some already well-proven combos even on this board!

Yes there are a lot of good combos that have been thrown in the Dyno room on here.

It saves a lot money in the long run if you plan everything out and then buy the parts here and there. Trust me. I have spent a lot of extra money when I was expermenting with 302 combos in the cobra. That is not something you want to do when you are on a tight budget. Each time a cam, head, or intake is pulled you can plan on spending another $100 besides your time and the part you bought because you will need gaskets, oil, coolant, and if something such as a cam swap, a timing chain set. No since in not replacing it since you are right there at it.

The biggest statement in this thread that was wrong was the fact you wanted to do a cam swap for the sound. That is a very poor reason to do a cam swap especially when you already have an aftermarket cam. Odds are your pistons won't be able to handle a cam that you would hear a noticable difference in regards to the one you have now.

With that being said, the Anderson cams I have owned have a nice sound and make great power with aftermarket heads. But their medium sized street cams (say .540 lift and up) will beat up on some springs if you don't have good springs because of the fast ramp speed.

86nu
09-18-2009, 10:22 PM
B cam 85 bucks shipped to your door

let me know

89five0Gt
09-19-2009, 08:46 AM

:bowrofl: I remeber when I lived at home, my mom was raising hell b/c I had a set of heads, roller rockers, intake and a nitrous kit in the corner of my room. She told me if that nitrous bottle blew up the house, she was gonna kill me....haha

QWKSNKE
09-19-2009, 02:06 PM
:bowrofl: I remeber when I lived at home, my mom was raising hell b/c I had a set of heads, roller rockers, intake and a nitrous kit in the corner of my room. She told me if that nitrous bottle blew up the house, she was gonna kill me....haha

:rofl:
Until early this year, you couldn't see any part of the interior of the SVO because of all the parts I had stuck in it

Pwn the Gt
09-28-2009, 03:41 PM
B cam 85 bucks shipped to your door

let me know

i may be intrested in the B cam give me a week if no one else is intrested n ill hit ya back up
:wave: