PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust for my Coupe

Blown54
10-25-2009, 07:28 PM
lookin for some exhaust for my '90 Coupe. its a 363ci (SVOr block, TF twisted wedge 205 cc heads, etc...) and it currently has shorty headers, high flow catted h-pipe, and factory mufflers/tails.
its kinda got that sleeper sound to it. it would be real quiet if it wasnt for the cam...but i wanna add some long tubes, off road x-pipe, and a catback.
not sure which headers i want...probably get a VRS x-pipe, and not sure on the catback??? probably get a flowmaster kit and add some Borla Pro Xs mufflers or somethin different if i dont like the flowmasters. really wanted the 3" kit that flowmaster sells since the tips look better from the rear. i would run the MAC catback but i have never had any luck with the fitment of the rear section of any of my kits or any that i have ever installed. Some people dont have that issue but its always that way for anything of mine for some reason.
anyhow, just wanted to see what everyone thought about a setup for me?
thanks

SilverBack
10-25-2009, 07:56 PM
My buddy that has a hatch w/ a 331 in it is running a full 3" setup. BBK 1-3/4 LTs w/ 3" to a Bassani X and Super 44s and Flowmaster tailpipes. He said the 3" tails give lots of tire clearance as well. Not sure on power yet as he's still putting the car back together. Said it sounds similar to my car, but deeper.

coupe
10-27-2009, 11:26 AM
:drool: Sounds like an awesome car! Please get us some pics. I'm itching to see it!!!

If you still want custom 3" from mufflers back, it would be $70/hr plus the materials. We can get 3" SS for a pretty good deal.

More expensive than a kit, yes...but we won't count "standing around and bullshitting" on the ticket. That part is free. :D

Italian LX
10-27-2009, 11:56 AM
I got lucky and found a used 3" MAC cat-back locally. I'm not a fan of the MAC sound so I basically just used it for the tail-pipes because I like the way they have the joint above the axle... makes it easy to remove/install and gives a bit of adjustment at the back.

I then bought some 3" fow tubes, 3" Pro-XS mufflers, and a 3" VRS stainless X-pipe. Although my system isn't 100% stanless,it fits great, sounds awesome, and I got it done relatively cheap (no outside fabrication).

Btw, I know what you mean about MAC fitment -- it sucks. I was able to fix all of that on my set-up since I was putting new mufflers in the cat-back.

EZ SPEED
10-27-2009, 12:03 PM
Here are some pics of Brad's new ride

coupe
10-27-2009, 12:18 PM
:drool: :drool: That is just plain sick. Love it. :metal:

TheJeanyus
10-27-2009, 12:46 PM
:drool:

Wall96cobra
10-27-2009, 01:58 PM
That is a nice lookin ride, I always loved those wheels!

coupe
10-27-2009, 02:18 PM
+1 on the wheels.

Would ditch the big 'n littles in a heartbeat for those! :D

SilverBack
10-27-2009, 03:20 PM
Nice coupe! It's funny how a set of wheels and the right stance can make a car look so nice.

Blown54
10-27-2009, 03:48 PM
thanks for the compliments guys. alwaya wanted a coupe. its not perfect but its pretty good for a '90. i kinda like it havin some rough edges...it gives me more incentive to DRIVE it. if you know me then you know i always build somethin the way i want it then i dont drive it cuz i dont want anything to happen to it. but thas not the case with this car.

as far as exhaust goes, i know i want long tubes, just not sure which brand. already planned on the VRS x-pipe. and deffinately want some pro xs mufflers. the only real kicker for me is the tail pipes...i gotta have tails. i think coupes look good with pipes but i want thenm to look godd and what i mean by that is i want them to tuck up nice and close and not stick out past the bumper plus i wanna be able to take them on and off behind the mufflers just in case i need to do and work to the suspension or axle, etc...

Dale McPeters
10-27-2009, 09:58 PM
That is a very nice looking car. And I really like those wheels!!

Now get us some pictures under the hood where it counts. :jester:

Blown54
10-28-2009, 04:18 PM
note...also gotta figure out if i want 2.5 or 3 inch

Blown54
10-29-2009, 08:09 PM
here is what i have come up with...this is if i build the kit myself. Coupe has offered to get me setup with a 3" kit but im not sure how much the SS pipe is gonna be so i dont know where we are at on that yet...

3" kit = BBK 1 3/4 LT headers, VRS 3" off-road x-pipe, 3" flowtubes, 3" Borla Pro XS mufflers, 3" Flowmaster tail-pipe kit.

2.5" kit = BBK 1 5/8 LT headers, VRS 2.5" off-road x-pipe, 2.5" flowtubes, 2.5" Borla Pro XS mufflers, 2.5" Flowmaster tail-pipe kit.

then i gotta figure out which gaskets, hardware, etc... and where to get the best deal on everything...

i hope if i piece the kit together, everything will bolt/clamp rite up so i dont have to weld or fab anything. i want it to come apart as easy as it goes together...

so what does everybody think???

SilverBack
10-29-2009, 08:25 PM
It is unlikely that it will all just bolt together if it's a bunch of different brands pieced together. My buddy bought an extra straight section of 3" in case he would need it....sure enough he had to add several inches to the flowtubes to make it all work. If you are not able to weld or don't have access to a welder, then you're limited by choices based on that.

rtusnake
10-29-2009, 08:25 PM
3" exhaust just sounds so much better imo. Gives the car a deep tone

Blown54
11-02-2009, 06:57 PM
Got my 3" tails and mufflers. Just need headers, x-pipe, and flowtubes. Lookin at mac and bbk for the headers...not sure what else to look at? I want 3" collectors that way my whole kit will be 3". Seems like overkill for a 363ci in my opinion but always room for the upgrade to a big inch motor.
Where do I need to buy the headers from also??? I'm ready to get it all installed!