PDA

View Full Version : d8oe vs e7te

tayzoid1
10-29-2009, 10:19 PM
which is the better head with mild port work. i have a set of both and dont know which to use some post say to use one other say to use the others. let me know just say e7 or d8oe thanks!!

thanks!
taylor

MeZapU
10-29-2009, 10:21 PM
Both are about the same as much as flow possibilities. Depends on what valvetrain you want to use.

tayzoid1
10-30-2009, 01:10 AM
i have a f-303 cam going with an rpm airgap intake. and i have already finished the porting of the exhaust ports and about to start on the intakes. i was worried about the size of the combustion chambers dude these things are huge and i think they are the 74 and up heads because they have about the same valves as my e7's (i think!!) just eyballin it. i was worried about the compression loss. but if i can gain more with the flow capabilities i can deal with it. im just wondering found alot of mismatched stuff on other websites. some say their ok some say they suck. others curse and throw hissy fits.

coupe
10-30-2009, 07:53 AM
The big chambers aren't gonna help you. I would scrap them and get the money from recycling. E7's are not really so bad with some work, but it's very difficult to hand-port iron heads without at least letting a machine get the bowls bored out some.

Why not buy Preston's Edelbrock aluminum heads with all the rockers on for $900? That's a steal!

tayzoid1
10-30-2009, 12:24 PM
if i had the money i would have already snached his arm off. i have a set i got for free that came off a 306. the guy i got them from said they were portmatched e7 that were ported to match my f303 cam. well i set my stock e7's down to compare and then figgured out they were compleatly diffrent heads and i figgured the combustion chanbers would hurt me. but yea and im doin all the port work myself.
if i had the money i would have already bought the heads from preston i just cant afford it right now

coupe
10-30-2009, 01:04 PM
So... someone told you some D8 iron heads were "ported to match an F303 cam" ??? First, you should probably not deal with that dude anymore regarding cars and second, just have a cylinder head shop do your E7's with a valvejob and some better valves and springs. Then you can grind the EGR bump off the roof of the exhaust port and run the heads until you can afford others. E7's are not worth going after with a burr bit and grinder unless you have to have STOCK heads for class racing...trust me I've done them.

TheJeanyus
10-30-2009, 02:21 PM
ported to match my f303 cam
Please ask him to join this forum and explain to us how a head can be "port matched" to a cam. :think:

EHardy1971
10-30-2009, 04:36 PM
Please ask him to join this forum and explain to us how a head can be "port matched" to a cam. :think:
:werd::popcorn:

93cobra1928
10-31-2009, 08:30 AM

:ignorant:

tayzoid1
10-31-2009, 05:20 PM
made to flow with the cam. get the cam specs and port and flowbench to the cam specs make the heads flow to the cam flow specs... is this not port matching to a specific cam?

TheJeanyus
10-31-2009, 06:24 PM
made to flow with the cam. get the cam specs and port and flowbench to the cam specs make the heads flow to the cam flow specs... is this not port matching to a specific cam?
Ok, so explain to me what a "cam flow spec" is. All the cam does is affect how long the valve is open and how far it opens. It has nothing to do with how the air flows.

Port-matching, as I understand it, is matching the ports of a head up to the ports on an intake.

tayzoid1
10-31-2009, 11:17 PM
im just relayin what the dude has said.dont kill or flame the messenger. im using my e7's anyway!!

thanks!
taylor

EHardy1971
10-31-2009, 11:24 PM
im just relayin what the dude has said.dont kill or flame the messenger. im using my e7's anyway!!

thanks!
taylor
Joseph nailed it. We're not flaming you bro, just making sure you don't get scammed is all.;)

TheJeanyus
11-01-2009, 06:11 AM
Joseph nailed it. We're not flaming you bro, just making sure you don't get scammed is all.;)
:werd: If anyone was really being flamed at all, it was the guy who was trying to tell you all that stuff about porting heads to match a cam.

EHardy1971
11-01-2009, 09:47 AM
:werd: If anyone was really being flamed at all, it was the guy who was trying to tell you all that stuff about porting heads to match a cam.
:yup: If there truly was a way to match a set of heads to a cam by porting, people like Jay Allen, Ed Curtis, and Buddy Rawls would be out of business!

tayzoid1
11-01-2009, 08:31 PM
:yup: If there truly was a way to match a set of heads to a cam by porting, people like Jay Allen, Ed Curtis, and Buddy Rawls would be out of business!
call me ignorant but i have no idea who those people are.

coupe
11-02-2009, 11:54 AM
Normally, the routine is: Pick the heads that will support flow for your power, then choose a camshaft that will allow the heads to work in favor of your RPM, type of racing, powerband, poweradder, etc... Getting a cam and then making the heads flow to the "cam-specified" lift, duration, etc.. would work, but it would be a bit drawn-out.

And an F303 is beyond what a D8 or an E7 is capable of doing anyway... A B303 is about the most I would use since the lift is conservative but the duration allows the heads to breathe more in each given cycle.

tayzoid1
11-02-2009, 12:10 PM
aluminum heads are in the plans anyway but the porting is free and simple so i might as well to my e7s while their off the motor. thanks!

taylor

coupe
11-02-2009, 01:27 PM
Taylor, just make sure you wear a dust-mask and have a fan blowing across the part to blow the iron dust and chips away from you. And Safety Glasses!

89five0Gt
11-02-2009, 04:38 PM

Ignorant

:jester:

tayzoid1
11-02-2009, 11:21 PM
Taylor, just make sure you wear a dust-mask and have a fan blowing across the part to blow the iron dust and chips away from you. And Safety Glasses!
done!

QWKSNKE
11-03-2009, 07:07 AM

All of those guys are custom cam grinders. They are very well known in the pushrod world

tayzoid1
11-03-2009, 11:16 AM
All of those guys are custom cam grinders. They are very well known in the pushrod world
damn maybe i should start makin moremoney so i can actually think about looking at possibly, maybe, but very unlikely get a cam ground lol

93cobra1928
11-03-2009, 05:31 PM
damn maybe i should start makin moremoney so i can actually think about looking at possibly, maybe, but very unlikely get a cam ground lol

You would be surprised at how affordable a custom cam from one of those guy's are and at how much difference it would make.

EHardy1971
11-04-2009, 05:28 AM
You would be surprised at how affordable a custom cam from one of those guy's are and at how much difference it would make.
+1. Just make sure that you're not planning on changing too much in your combo if/when you get one ground.

tayzoid1
11-04-2009, 10:14 PM
lol then im gonna have to wai till i get some more "goodies" before i get a cam ground