PDA

View Full Version : i have a question for ya

97cobrasvt
11-03-2009, 12:04 AM
I have finally got my car on the road again. I went to get into it on sunday just to drive it and brake in the new motor but it would not run. I drove it the day before with no problems at all. I checked the coil and nothing so I break out the meter and the coil seems to be fine but to make sure I had a new coil so I tryed it still nothing. So I pulled the I M on the distributor and had it checked and it was good. So I thought for a while and checked my 6al and it checked out good. I checked all the wires that go to the dis and has power were it should and a good ground. I have power from the switch and when I turn the key to run and turn the engine over it has power on that wire as well. The pip wire I am not sure as I dont know if I checked it right. I got to thinking that I have not been smelling gas even though I have been turning it over alot so I checked the injectors with a light I bought from the part store for injectors and they are not working either when I am turning the engine over. So the question is what is the common thing between the injectors and the coil. Would it not be the PIP sensor in the distributor. Sorry for the long post any help would be appreciated. Steven

SlowJoe
11-03-2009, 05:12 AM
I had a broke wire on the injector harness that done the same thing to me.

EHardy1971
11-03-2009, 05:23 AM
Check your 10 pin connectors. They're bad about having crappy connections. But to answer your question, yes, the PIP sensor is the common thing, considering it triggers the injectors.

yellowSVT
11-03-2009, 05:54 AM
Check your 10 pin connectors. They're bad about having crappy connections. But to answer your question, yes, the PIP sensor is the common thing, considering it triggers the injectors.
agreed! but like joe said as well ive had the wire on the injector harness be broke but couldnt tell cause the plastic was good had to check til found the break, youll have power til the break then cut and repair!:metal:

QWKSNKE
11-03-2009, 07:04 AM
Do you hear the fuel pump prime when turning on the key?

97cobrasvt
11-03-2009, 09:26 AM
Do you hear the fuel pump prime when turning on the key?

Yes, it primes up but I am getting no power to the injectors.

tayzoid1
11-03-2009, 11:15 AM
my entire computer went out in my 91 model threw in a used one form the junk yard and she fired right up no idea what mad it go bad. never had a leak or anything spilt on it

97cobrasvt
11-05-2009, 07:42 PM
Does anyone know where I can find a wiring schematic from the eec to the engine. I looked on this site because I thought I saw one before but I could not find it. Thanks Steven

97cobrasvt
11-05-2009, 08:53 PM
I found one site but I still have not found exactly what I am looking for http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/

QWKSNKE
11-05-2009, 09:02 PM
Does anyone know where I can find a wiring schematic from the eec to the engine. I looked on this site because I thought I saw one before but I could not find it. Thanks Steven

We some links here in the pushrod room but I just noticed that the original poster cleared out his post for some reason

97cobrasvt
11-05-2009, 09:06 PM
We some links here in the pushrod room but I just noticed that the original poster cleared out his post for some reason

Yea I noticed that as well thats why I was trying to find out if anyone knew a site I could go to. Thanks Steven

Italian LX
11-06-2009, 04:42 AM
my entire computer went out in my 91 model threw in a used one form the junk yard and she fired right up no idea what mad it go bad. never had a leak or anything spilt on it

Yep, I'm with Taylor on this one.

When the ECU goes out, a lot of time it gives no warning and just stops working all of a sudden. When mine went out last year, the coupe drove fine all the way to Mellow Mushroom. When we went to leave a few hours later, it just wouldn't start. Fuel pump primed, fuel pressure was normal, coil was good, MSD was working, etc. I finally got a used ECU from Lee and it fired right up.

What you are describing is exactly what I went through. I even made the same "no fuel smell" observation that you did. The bottom line is, the ECU get's taken out and is not telling the injectors to fire at all.

I would tens to rule out a broken wire because that would normally cause an erratic condition at first and usually gives some warning before it just stops working.

coupe
11-06-2009, 08:51 AM
:stupid:x2

The injector drivers are "onboard" the computer and most likely the problem. Autoparts stores have them and I think they are refurbs... so maybe they take the broken ones as cores?

97cobrasvt
11-06-2009, 10:12 AM
Yep, I'm with Taylor on this one.

When the ECU goes out, a lot of time it gives no warning and just stops working all of a sudden. When mine went out last year, the coupe drove fine all the way to Mellow Mushroom. When we went to leave a few hours later, it just wouldn't start. Fuel pump primed, fuel pressure was normal, coil was good, MSD was working, etc. I finally got a used ECU from Lee and it fired right up.

What you are describing is exactly what I went through. I even made the same "no fuel smell" observation that you did. The bottom line is, the ECU get's taken out and is not telling the injectors to fire at all.

I would tens to rule out a broken wire because that would normally cause an erratic condition at first and usually gives some warning before it just stops working.

I was thinking that as well Brian, I sat down a few nights ago and pulled the harness out to check for broken wires and found none. I was to the point of just buying a new ecu or finding one to try. Thanks Guys