PDA

View Full Version : 1st full pass in the car 1/8th mile!

TurboPete
11-20-2009, 11:24 PM
Well Ive been slowly getting things ready on my car , the tune up is good and Ive got my new Drag Radials on the car , so I went to Immokolee out here in Florida to do some test runs.
My 1st run was just to see how much boost I could leave with on the street tune 14.5 psi's , and Transbrake. Got up to the line hit TB and could only get 5 psi's , 60ft was 1.83 leaving around 3100 rpm's . Only went thru 1st and 2nd gear and let out.
2nd run turned the boost up to 19 but it would still only leave on 5 psi's . Car didn't shift into 3rd because of my shifter problems NOT TRANSMISSION.
So I figured what the hell might as well make a full 1/8th mile pass , so I stayed in it all the way down and was able to shift it into third , went a
7.13 @ 106.45 on 19 psi's and leaving at 5 psi's , 60ft was a 1.91 .

Cant believe she went 106.45 in the 1/8th with a bad 60ft .

I have a smaller a/r .81 which Im begining to think may help the spool up , but there's also sending the converter out to loosen to 3400 .
Im sure that will help boost come up faster and maybe get 8 to 10 psi's off the line.
What do you guys out there think , do you have similar set ups and what would you do or have done to help the car leave harder.

Pete

rtusnake
11-21-2009, 01:08 AM
Great mph for sure. I know some guys do some changes in the timing down low to build boost. How bad is the car bogging?

SlowJoe
11-21-2009, 05:24 AM
Got to love these mod motors! Good pass

TurboPete
11-21-2009, 06:27 AM
Great mph for sure. I know some guys do some changes in the timing down low to build boost. How bad is the car bogging?

I have a real good tune the timing is fine , my issue is that I run a Big 78mm with a .96 rear housing , the car pulls crisp and clean from the beginning . It doesnt bogg off the line its just needs more power / boost to come out harder . My converter stalls at 3000 if I could leave at a higher RPM or maybe just more boost like 8 to 10 psi's I think it would be enough to make the 60ft drop to the 1.5s .
I run a 3.55 gear in the car with a 325/50/15 DR's.

Pete

rtusnake
11-21-2009, 07:20 PM
Do you have any kind of two step on your car?

Dale McPeters
11-21-2009, 07:21 PM
Pete,

Just a thought but....
You might do like Joe Lynch did on his car and add a small 50-75 shot of nitrous right off the line. He was having a problem with 1/8th mile stuff too. His 1/4 mile times were fine at around 1.39 60 and 9.9x it was the 1/8th mile that was killing him as the turbo would not come on quick enough.

Unless of course you are class racing and are limited to one power adder. :D

TurboPete
11-21-2009, 08:04 PM
Do you have any kind of two step on your car?

Yeup I have 2 of them , 1 set on the foot brake the other on the Transbrake.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i26/ondsaus/Fuelsystem002.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i26/ondsaus/Fuelsystem003.jpg

The car builds boost just wont build more than 5 psi's some people tell me to loosen the converter to 3400 the extra RPM's will help spool the car faster. Im just curious even if it was building boost slowly, it should have boosted more than 5 pounds I would think. Tomorrow I will datalog the a/f on the Transbrake, and see how much timing is in it at the target rpm of 3000 to 3200. I was told by some good buddies of mine who all run Buick T-Type's that you want the a/f to be at 11.5 to 11.8 at the target RPM's for it to spool . This all sounds great but if it doesn't work Im going to spray it and be done with it.

rtusnake
11-21-2009, 09:04 PM
There has to be a way to get it to spool without nitrous. Its either going to be the convertor or tune. Some guys on modfords are spooling twin 76's rather quickly

QWKSNKE
11-21-2009, 10:18 PM
I could see loosening up the converter helping but it seems to me that you still should be seeing more than 5 psi at 3k rpm on the transbrake

coupe
11-21-2009, 11:11 PM
I'd play with the 2step settings... what will it get to on the footbrake? And what is the 2step at on transbrake? I'd raise it and see what it does. Are you on the floor when transbrake is on?

A 78mm turbocharger should mph a good bit more than 106 at 19psi. Something is just not working like it needs to. I'd like to see a datalog.

TurboPete
11-22-2009, 03:24 AM
I'd play with the 2step settings... what will it get to on the footbrake? And what is the 2step at on transbrake? I'd raise it and see what it does. Are you on the floor when transbrake is on?

A 78mm turbocharger should mph a good bit more than 106 at 19psi. Something is just not working like it needs to. I'd like to see a datalog.

There is still alot left in it as they say, think about it .

On the Foot brake I see about 1 or 2 Psi's before it starts to roll out.

The 2 set on the TB was set at 3200 but I didnt realize it was activated . Realized it on my last run and moved it to 3500 but didn't reach it on my last pass b/c I was next to a Z06 Vette on the jug , and I was trying to leave on the green light with him . Left with a 1.91 60ft because it didn't build enough boost before the light came on .

1 The car is not leaving with enough boost so it is not under full acceleration
from the line . Doesn't really start to move out until about 60ft out.
2. I was testing at the 1/8th and didn't have the tranny locking the converter so it was pushing thru it / slipping all the way down.
3. I did data log but forgot my usb at home so I could only check after each run , and did not save the last one . Timing was steady at 19* and Inlet temps were between 124 and 135.

Im not to worried about the MPH b/c its not BAD considering the car weighs about 4060 with me in it .

I figure with the converter in lock up and if I can leave with at least 8 psi's I should be able to run about 110 mph which will put me around 139 in the back half.

Oh my set up is a 78mm with a .96 a/r , it has a ton of mph in the back half .

Pete

TurboPete
11-22-2009, 03:38 AM
I could see loosening up the converter helping but it seems to me that you still should be seeing more than 5 psi at 3k rpm on the transbrake

I was messing around with it on the street it seems to be needing more fuel down low to spool . Im going to bump the fuel pressure up another 10 psi's in the morning and see if it spools better if so Ill need to mess with the tune to dump more fuel in at 3000 to 3400 while on the TB .

Pete

TurboPete
11-22-2009, 03:43 PM
Ok so I was able to datalog the current tune on the TB today .

I hit the TB and floored it, a/f was about 13.4 , 22* of timing and it went up to 5 almost 6 psi's at 3400 rpm's .

Really not sure what all this means but , a few people I talked to with Buicks tell me that it needs more fuel at that RPM and pull some timing out as well .
Does anyone know if this seems right?

Pete

SlowJoe
11-22-2009, 04:02 PM
Well did u out run the vette?

TurboPete
11-22-2009, 09:37 PM
Well did u out run the vette?

Yes I did, HAHAHAH, Today while I was testing I had a Grey Z06 messing with me so I let him get the jump and blew right by him , He couldn't believe it , told me to lets do it again so I said OK.
2nd time was worse b/c I brake boosted him while we were at a 60 mph roll .
He had this stunned look on his face that was priceless.
Oh yea and that was on my street boost at 14.5

Pete

86GTPONY
11-23-2009, 08:10 AM
:lol: Bet that was fun. Did you tell Joeseph "sorry"? :poke:

Wickd GT
11-26-2009, 06:25 AM
Pete that converter is to tight. It should be around 3400-3800 rpm. Are you foot breaking it after the burn out or are you going straight to the pre stage light. Foot brake it right after the burnout so you can get the turbo to start spooling. Once you get to the pre stage light give it a bit more until you stage, once stage put the TB and floor it until it hits the 2 step so the turbo is getting fuel in it and you can hear the motor in the 2 step. Another thing, what spring is in the blow off valve. To me the converter is to tight, not enough rpm to get the turbo to spool. Another thing to try, unhook the exhaust, where it joins to the dual exhaust or if you can unhook it as close to the down pipe were it joins to the rear exhaust this will take out a lot of the back pressure in the turbo and it will spool faster, just something to try.

Edgar

cablebandit
11-26-2009, 06:38 AM
set the a/f to 13.0 before it hits the 2step as it will show even leaner while bouncing off the step. The timing needs to be 30+ deg on the 2step...yes 30+
Autos need lean/more timing....opposite for manuals. Dont change the converter yet. My converter flashes to 3000...leaves at 3.5psi and 3400 rpms off the brake. I dont footbrake to boost (prestage) cause we are usually on a sportsman tree but do for a pro tree.

oh and what Edgar says...less exhaust the better for spool.

TurboPete
11-26-2009, 09:36 AM
Thanks guys those are all good idea. I do foot brake the car and it goes to 3000, but wants to start to brake the tires unless I hit the TB. Once I hit the TB it spools right away but like I said only 5 psi's . I need at least 8 to 10 and it will leave harder for sure. Im going to the track on Friday , and Sunday there's an all day event at a 1/8th mile track we go to that is fantastic. The track is Immokolee which alot of the fastest cars go there to test.

Im going to try more fuel and timing in the 3000 range see what happens , if still a bit lazy I woke up this morning and installed a little help.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i26/ondsaus/3vTurbo07GT/DSC05406.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i26/ondsaus/3vTurbo07GT/DSC05405.jpg

Pete

Dale McPeters
11-26-2009, 02:59 PM
Thanks guys those are all good idea. I do foot brake the car and it goes to 3000, but wants to start to brake the tires unless I hit the TB. Once I hit the TB it spools right away but like I said only 5 psi's . I need at least 8 to 10 and it will leave harder for sure. Im going to the track on Friday , and Sunday there's an all day event at a 1/8th mile track we go to that is fantastic. The track is Immokolee which alot of the fastest cars go there to test.

Im going to try more fuel and timing in the 3000 range see what happens , if still a bit lazy I woke up this morning and installed a little help.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i26/ondsaus/3vTurbo07GT/DSC05406.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i26/ondsaus/3vTurbo07GT/DSC05405.jpg

Pete

That is guaranteed to help. :D

cablebandit
11-26-2009, 07:35 PM
you are trying to build torque to get up on the converter ....12.8 a/f is best for torque....not rich...

Wickd GT
11-26-2009, 07:45 PM
you are trying to build torque to get up on the converter ....12.8 a/f is best for torque....not rich...

Ohhhhhhhh!!!! I did not see your signature. Waiting on me! Ok, well right now motor is down, some time by the end of Dec hopefully I'll have it fire up. Once I get her were I want I'll be Caaaalllllliiiinnnnnggggg youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!! LOL.

I saw your runs, so we are pretty close. About 3 weeks ago it ran its best in the 1/8 6.04, yours is probably a 6.02 by the times I saw in a Video. But here is a thing, I hate Steele, and Reynolds is to far for me. So we will figure out something, right jerry:

Edgar

QWKSNKE
11-26-2009, 08:42 PM
Ohhhhhhhh!!!! I did not see your signature. Waiting on me! Ok, well right now motor is down, some time by the end of Dec hopefully I'll have it fire up. Once I get her were I want I'll be Caaaalllllliiiinnnnnggggg youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!! LOL.

:rofl:
Jerry has had that in his sig for a year now

Wickd GT
11-27-2009, 06:22 AM
Jerry has had that in his sig for a year now

Most of the times I don't read anyone's signature cause they have so much crap that I don't want to read it, like your, LOL::

Edgar

QWKSNKE
11-27-2009, 05:25 PM
Most of the times I don't read anyone's signature cause they have so much crap that I don't want to read it, like your, LOL::

Edgar

:slap:

cablebandit
11-29-2009, 08:13 AM
lol yeah I actually was like "wtf" until i read my sig.....that was in anticipation of a track day last year when it was at 12psi :) I prolly woulda got whooped anyway.
Edgar it has been 6.01 so far. Im not turning it up anymore. It runs what it runs at 14 psi and thats it. I can improve on the 60' some but need a good prep day to do it. Best pass is 9.29@ 150 3960 raceweight. It MIGHT go 9.teens on a perfect pass and day but what are the odds of that. Im backing up and gonna try to run 10.5x on my street tires. Im just enjoying the car not breaking.
What are your goals for the stang? Looks like you are getting the glide worked out
how far is steele or reynolds? sdr is 118 miles for me...steele 140 miles each way

TurboPete
11-29-2009, 01:16 PM
Ok went back to the track Friday night , I bumped up the fuel pressure on the regulator to 55 psi's and I added 10% which is all the sct excal would give me between 2000 and 4000.

1st pass of the trailer went a 6.944 @ 101.37 with a 1.56 60ft and 7 psi's on the TB . It hit the limiter on the 1st to 2nd gear shift which I fixed on the next run by going into the tranny computer shift points.

My best 60ft was a 1.520 , best pass was a 6.557 @ 108.51 , and a 6.58 @ 107.9 something both were at 19 psi's .

Made a total of 10 passes in the night , made corrections on each pass and the car kept going faster . I never did use the nitrous but I can tell there is still more in it . With a bit looser converter and a bit more RPM out of the gate I wouldn't be surprised if the car goes a 6.30 same boost.

Pete