PDA

View Full Version : 5.0 Questions

darkside
11-27-2009, 06:29 PM
Okay, this car I'm about to buy ( hopefully) has a 5.0 out of a Crown Vic, which is not a HO correct?

The only difference would be the heads/cam/intake from a HO and non-HO, right?

So, if this non-HO motor was left in the car, if i did H/c/i, then it would be as if i had modded a ho motor right? Just a little confused as to what the differences are.

Also, i was looking at LRS and they have the " budget" 5.0 Short blocks for 699.99, but it says Aluminum pistons, when i first read that, i thought, That can't be worth a damn, but what do you guys think?

QWKSNKE
11-27-2009, 07:31 PM
only difference in a ho and non ho is the cam and the intake sitting opposite as it does in a mustang. Everything else should be the same

darkside
11-27-2009, 08:14 PM
So then the stock 5.0 wiring harness probably wouldn't work with that, since the throttle body and such is on the other side? Just curious as to the car's current state.

I would like to stay EFI, but i may end up going carburetor if the stock harness has been hacked up and such.

EHardy1971
11-27-2009, 08:28 PM
it says Aluminum pistons, when i first read that, i thought, That can't be worth a damn, but what do you guys think?
They're ALL aluminum pistons, whether forged or hypers.

only difference in a ho and non ho is the cam and the intake sitting opposite as it does in a mustang. Everything else should be the same

Nope. Different heads, upper intake/TB, injectors, and exhaust manifolds. As far as the pistons go, they could be either forged or hypers.

darkside
11-27-2009, 08:41 PM
Then these that are in that 5.0 Resto short block are not forged because in small print under it it says " Not recommended for Nitrous or Boost applications"

EHardy1971
11-27-2009, 08:44 PM
Then these that are in that 5.0 Resto short block are not forged because in small print under it it says " Not recommended for Nitrous or Boost applications"
Meh you can spray with hypers. I'm shooting 100-125 on mine with them, and it does fine. It's all in the timing, and octane.

darkside
11-27-2009, 08:48 PM
I've about decided to just use the block that's in this car, and do a 347.

But, I wonder what the wiring harness situation is with the car, since the intake is to the other side and all.. Still waiting for engine bay pics from him, so I guess I will know more when I see those.

EHardy1971
11-27-2009, 09:41 PM
I've about decided to just use the block that's in this car, and do a 347.

But, I wonder what the wiring harness situation is with the car, since the intake is to the other side and all.. Still waiting for engine bay pics from him, so I guess I will know more when I see those.
I'm not 100% on the CV wiring harness, so I'll just say this, I know it's a different setup from a Fox, so you might be better off getting a Fox harness unless you want to do a LOT of cutting and splicing. BTDT, and it's a pain in the ass! I also forgot to mention, that the linkage on that TB is opposite from a Fox, as it faces the opposite direction, but that's a moot point, because I don't think you'll be wanting to run that tiny 55mm thing.;)

QWKSNKE
11-27-2009, 09:49 PM
I thought you could turn the upper intake around being that the intake is a 'inline port' design

-AND-
it depends on the year of the crown vic, later model ones came with E7's (as all other 5.0's) I do believe.

So is this a donor motor or are you going to beef up the crown vic?

EHardy1971
11-27-2009, 10:02 PM
I thought you could turn the upper intake around being that the intake is a 'inline port' design

-AND-
it depends on the year of the crown vic, later model ones came with E7's (as all other 5.0's) I do believe.

So is this a donor motor or are you going to beef up the crown vic?
You can turn the upper around, but the TB linkage won't work,as it would be facing in the opposite direction. IOW, it would have to be pushed to open, instead of pulled by the cable. I didn't know those came with E7's, all the ones I've seen had E5's, but they were older too.

EDIT: What I originally meant by the uppers being different, is not how it's mounted, but the casting itself. The HO upper has a larger TB opening, and also has "HO' cast into it uder the intake plaque.

darkside
11-27-2009, 11:06 PM
I guess I'll have to wait and see the engine bay pics, etc

swammi
12-03-2009, 05:27 AM
from personal use i have found those engines with only hyper pistons and two different ones at that one is flat top with small dish no valve reliefs. the second has 4 valve reliefs. easy to idenify those the first u can id they use e6se heads id on the corner of the heads is an s on one end or the other. the other had e7te heads id is t on one end or the other. assuming nobogy changed heads!