PDA

View Full Version : Another mid pipe question

The Rock 326
03-27-2005, 06:24 PM
I am going to a catted mid pipe. My 2 choices are Magnaflow catted X, or a Mac catted H-pipe. Both are the same price, however the guy with the H pipe is selling Flowmaster single chamber mufflers with it. What do you think as far as sound and performance?? I need to make a decision in the next few days. I could keep my cat back, or use the single chamber flows.

Thanks, Rich

86GT
03-27-2005, 06:48 PM
Just make sure you do not mix a chambered muffler (MAC mufflers) with a X-pipe. It will rattle and sound like a tin box. It has something to do with the muffler design. It was only after I called MAC and explained to them what was happening that they told me they already knew of the issue. Go figure!!!! I wish I only would have know that before I purchased the X-Pipe.

Since then I purchased the BBK H-Pipe. It sounds great (loud and the Wife Hates it). The only thing wrong with the BBK version was that it was not a perfect fit. The hanger on the drivers side was a tad to high causing the pipe to be to high. This caused it to hit the under body. I had to goto a local muffer shop to have it fixed.

Originally I ordered the MAC H-Pipe but it was going to take 6-8 weeks so I went to BBK. I also was told the MAC pipe comes in two peices. It is split at the H. This in my opinion would make it alot easier to install.

tacbear
03-27-2005, 08:02 PM
I am going to a catted mid pipe. My 2 choices are Magnaflow catted X, or a Mac catted H-pipe. Both are the same price, however the guy with the H pipe is selling Flowmaster single chamber mufflers with it. What do you think as far as sound and performance?? I need to make a decision in the next few days. I could keep my cat back, or use the single chamber flows.

Thanks, Rich

Rich I have a catted Magnaflow "X" pipe with Magnaflow CatBack and I love it! It isn't loud until you get in it good. The fit, finish and workmanship is like a work of Art (4 years and no rust or problems).

P.S. I thought you had a ProChamber, isn't it the "Mac Daddy" of mid-pipes??

QWKSNKE
03-27-2005, 09:00 PM
Single chamber flowmasters are loud Rich. They are more or less a race muffler, so i doubt you will want to run them

Scothew
03-27-2005, 09:01 PM
pro-chamber sounds awesome! but its also not catted which i think is the concern at the moment for him.

The Rock 326
03-27-2005, 10:06 PM
Yea, I love the Prochamber, but the wife is tired of all the fumes coming up through the garage. I'm just trying to figure out wich catted pipe would be best overall, out of the 2 choices.

EZ SPEED
03-28-2005, 04:06 AM
Just make sure you do not mix a chambered muffler (MAC mufflers) with a X-pipe. It will rattle and sound like a tin box. It has something to do with the muffler design. It was only after I called MAC and explained to them what was happening that they told me they already knew of the issue. Go figure!!!! I wish I only would have know that before I purchased the X-Pipe.

Sorry it didnt work out for you, but I am running MAC shorty headers, Magnaflow catted X pipe and a MAC Catback and it sounds GREAT !! (This is on my 94 Cobra) NO rattling or "tin box" sound like you describe. Maybe I just got lucky? :banana:

I have a sound clip I can email you if you want to hear it. ;)

Oh, after Wall's post below....I just realized I was sleepy when I read this and I didnt see that you were talking about an off road x...sorry. ;)

Wall96cobra
03-28-2005, 04:35 AM
Hey 86GT did you have a stainless steel o/r x-pipe with your macs? I had some macs on my car with a bassani o/r x and it sounded like you described but I have heard some with regular aluminized o/r x-pipes and they sounded fine. The stainless steel has a funky metallic sound unless you have cats then it smooths out.

86GT
03-28-2005, 08:54 AM
Maybe that is the ticket, The X was stainless. I have aluminized all the way though now. I just could not see spending the extra cash for stainless out here in California.. It does look a lot better though.

The Rock 326
03-28-2005, 09:05 AM
I know you guys have said it before, but what is the real diff. between H and X?? And would it be any noticable difference??

Also, since I am changing mid pipes, I think I am going to go ahead and get headers.

Wall96cobra
03-28-2005, 09:31 AM
Maybe that is the ticket, The X was stainless. I have aluminized all the way though now. I just could not see spending the extra cash for stainless out here in California.. It does look a lot better though.

Yeah I traded my bassani for a Dr.gas x-pipe so I'm all aluminized now too. I agree there's no since in spending the extra money on stainless.

Hey Rich the main difference in the x and h is gonna be sound, the x has a more exotic sound and will be alittle more quiet than an h. I like the x better.

86GT
03-28-2005, 10:17 AM
After all of the reading that I did the X pipe has a bit more HP at higher RPM's but the H pipe has more of a HP gain across the board. I wanted the deep throat sound, so I went with the H. The X pipe sounds more like a nascar.

banditmwp
03-28-2005, 07:47 PM
Yea, I love the Prochamber, but the wife is tired of all the fumes coming up through the garage.

Here's an idea that will solve all your problems....

OPEN THE GARAGE DOOR WHEN YOUR CAR IS RUNNING OR YOU'LL DIE FROM CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING! :slap:

:D

The Rock 326
03-28-2005, 08:01 PM
Here's an idea that will solve all your problems....

OPEN THE GARAGE DOOR WHEN YOUR CAR IS RUNNING OR YOU'LL DIE FROM CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING! :slap:

:D
It runs long enough for me to pull in and shut the car off. And when I crank it up, I back out immediately! :slap:

Besides, the wife is buying the catted pipe! :P

mustang1549
03-28-2005, 09:49 PM
Besides, the wife is buying the catted pipe! :P

wish i had someone to buy me car part