PDA

View Full Version : gahh more problems

tayzoid1
01-28-2010, 09:50 PM
ok so my car is running after 9 months being down. i have it out of the shop for two days. and bam it dies going down the road. long story short it wasnt getting spark. so i changed the coil to no avail. then iu changed the distributor pickup and she fired right up. i said cool, shuit it off, and put up my tools. went to fire it back up and leave. and the fuel pump stopped running compleatly. couldnt get it to work at all. so i had to stright wire it to get it home. i said no biggie wired it to the batt. and bam the original problem came back and now it wont fire nor will the fuel pump run. ive checked everything i know to check. any idea's

and just for refrence my car is carburated with vacuum advance distributor out of an 82 model i belive. the fuel pump is a holly blue and will run when straight wired to the batt. it appears to be wired into the factory harness and comes on whenever the key is in the on position. a local mech recomended me replacing the ingnition switch because of some issues i was having with my blowermotor/turnsignals and i would have to wiggle the key for either of which to work.

any ideas?

grabbinandstabbin
01-28-2010, 10:28 PM
i would start by changing the ignition switch(this is a common problem with fords) and if this doesn't stop the problem go to checking grounds. bad grounds play mean tricks on these cars. hope this helps.

tayzoid1
01-29-2010, 06:31 AM
thanks grabbin. anybody else ever have similar problems?

86GTPONY
01-29-2010, 08:40 AM
i would start by changing the ignition switch(this is a common problem with fords) and if this doesn't stop the problem go to checking grounds. bad grounds play mean tricks on these cars. hope this helps.

+1 I've had to replace the ignition switch on both my 86 and my T-bird. Gauges would go dead, blower motor would stop, turn signals would go out... but I never had the fuel pumps go out on them. The switch is easy to replace and it's cheap - then check all the ground connections. Good luck!

CrazyInBlack
01-29-2010, 11:14 AM
thanks grabbin. anybody else ever have similar problems?

I did in my Mark VII, all sorts of things would come on and go off. Replaced it and all was well....or as well as it ever was with that car. :jester:

tayzoid1
01-29-2010, 12:18 PM
ok so i just replaced it and still no fuel pump or fire to the motor. and im not sure of what all grounds need to be checked nor where they all are i know where the engine grounds are but as far as anything else im not sure. like i said above this is a carbed car. and the fuelpump is an external holley blue pump. the wires appear to be runing to a factory harness and the pump always comes on in the on position with the key. unlike the factory pump. i looked under the seat for a fuel pump relay and nothing is in the plug. but i dont think anything ever has been there since i have had the car. im kinda clueless as to what to do right now.

93cobra1928
01-29-2010, 03:27 PM
Check and see if you still have an EEC relay in the passenger kick panel, if so check it for 12v...it will have 12v constant on one leg and 12v switched on another, the 12v switched is what you are looking for, it feeds the fuel pump relay

On some cars the fuel pump relay is on the strut tower.

swammi
01-29-2010, 05:15 PM
how about the inertia switch. just a suggestion!

tayzoid1
01-29-2010, 07:23 PM
ill have to find the inertianswitch. and ill deff check the relay. but i dont think there is any computer left in it.

93cobra1928
01-29-2010, 07:30 PM
Even if the computer is gone it might be wired thru the relay.

The inertia switch is in the hatch area near the latch behind
the right tail light

tayzoid1
01-30-2010, 12:10 PM
i know the realay is missing compleatly and im justnow having problems with it. but ill throw one in there and see what happens and ill check the inertia switch

tayzoid1
02-01-2010, 02:42 PM
ok re[placed the fuel pump relay. and nothing. replaced the ignition switch. nothing. im not getting any power to the coil at all and none to the fuel pump at all. any other ideas?

EHardy1971
02-01-2010, 03:13 PM
Did you replace the switch, or the ignition lock? (the part the key goes in). The actual switch had a factory recall on them.

tayzoid1
02-01-2010, 09:17 PM
i replaced the elctronic switch not the lock cyl.

EHardy1971
02-01-2010, 09:48 PM
Ok. Go back in the steering column and double check the wiring from it. You might have a broken wire, or a bad connection somewhere.

swammi
02-02-2010, 05:43 AM
what kind of ignition systrem are u running? u can run a hot from the battery positive to the positve side of the coil.this should power both and if it does not probally a broke wire!

tayzoid1
02-02-2010, 09:04 AM
what kind of ignition systrem are u running? u can run a hot from the battery positive to the positve side of the coil.this should power both and if it does not probally a broke wire!
accel coil factory duraspark from an 82 mustang and distributor

blue90lx
02-02-2010, 06:50 PM
Did you ever get your blowermotor and turn signals to work? If not i had the same problem with mine and it was a wire connector under the steering column and it was nearly unplugged, i pushed it together and everything started to work properly.

tayzoid1
02-03-2010, 09:47 PM
yup got it to work with the new ignition switch. i believ it might be a bad connection where the previous owner bypasses the factory neutral safety switch. because my car was originally a 4cyl auto. and now a manual

tayzoid1
02-17-2010, 11:17 AM
ok ive replaced the duraspark box. and wired it to the same wires the previous owner had and still no spark. so i got a wiring diagram and still nothing. does anybody know why my fuel pump comes on when i hook up power to the coil? for some reason i went to look at it today and didnt touch anything since the last time the car was messed with and bam now the fuel pump isnt running. im running out of ideas. everything in the entire ignition system has been replaced.