PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to upgrade?

93cobra1928
02-10-2010, 04:50 PM
I got a quote from TMOSS to port my lower intake (says it's all I need now) and was wondering if I need to upgrade teh MAF and TB or will it suffice as is?

QWKSNKE
02-10-2010, 05:34 PM
Still running the stock cobra MAF and t/b? If so, they should be fine. Have you ported your MAF or does it still have the bar in the middle?

86GTPONY
02-10-2010, 06:53 PM
If it's for the car in your signature, then you should be fine.

coupe
02-10-2010, 07:16 PM
Port the lower, yes... but I'd also install a box-upper on it (Downs, cartech, etc...). It will really wake up the 306 especially with the X-303 cam and the Windor Sr. heads. :nice:

93cobra1928
02-10-2010, 07:33 PM
Still running the stock cobra MAF and t/b? If so, they should be fine. Have you ported your MAF or does it still have the bar in the middle?

Yeah all stock Cobra stuff and no I have not ported the MAF...does it make a big difference?

93cobra1928
02-10-2010, 07:35 PM
Port the lower, yes... but I'd also install a box-upper on it (Downs, cartech, etc...). It will really wake up the 306 especially with the X-303 cam and the Windor Sr. heads. :nice:

Tmoss said only the lower for this combo so that will be all. I have looked for a Downs before but had no luck. I remember you suggesting that before.

QWKSNKE
02-10-2010, 07:53 PM
Forgot to mention, if the tmoss porting is still as expensive as it used to be, I wouldn't do it. I would set that money aside for another intake. I don't think you will see any gain whatsoever from the porting.

Something along the lines of RPM II would work nicely

93cobra1928
02-10-2010, 07:58 PM
PM'd you his quote. what do you think?

QWKSNKE
02-11-2010, 06:34 AM
responded :D

Italian LX
02-11-2010, 10:09 AM
Forgot to mention, if the tmoss porting is still as expensive as it used to be, I wouldn't do it. I would set that money aside for another intake. I don't think you will see any gain whatsoever from the porting.

I would agree.

Paying to port a stock intake (Cobra or not) is only good if you want to keep the stock appearance. Otherwise, the money is better spent on a higher flowing aftermarket unit.

Dale McPeters
02-11-2010, 11:52 AM

x3

Even though Tom does excellent work I have to agree the RPM-II or a box upper would be better and give you a lot more room to grow. The upper cobra intake is the bottle neck anyway.....unless you are running boost then all bets are off...:D

93cobra1928
02-11-2010, 04:40 PM
x3

Even though Tom does excellent work I have to agree the RPM-II or a box upper would be better and give you a lot more room to grow. The upper cobra intake is the bottle neck anyway.....unless you are running boost then all bets are off...:D

I wonder why he would say only the lower needs ported then? Everything I have read tech wise that he has posted seems like he knows his stuff. :shrug:

I don't doubt what you say, I think you and the others are pretty sharp too. I just want to maximize my combo with the heads and cam I have now.

QWKSNKE
02-11-2010, 09:07 PM
I wonder why he would say only the lower needs ported then? Everything I have read tech wise that he has posted seems like he knows his stuff. :shrug:

I don't doubt what you say, I think you and the others are pretty sharp too. I just want to maximize my combo with the heads and cam I have now.

Dale is right, the upper is what holds these things back. Trust me, I was partial to my cobra intake because it was one of two places on the whole car that said cobra. On my last combo, I ported the piss out of my lower and received no gains. Before I made the decision to sale, I was looking to purchase a good intake

The cobra intake is a torque maker though but for higher rpm cam such as what you have, you would benefit from the shorter runners of a RPM II while maintaining decent daily driving power.

I can tell you that the cobra intake likes 14 psi though :D:D

89StangRompt
02-12-2010, 02:22 AM
is what i would do

Dale McPeters
02-12-2010, 11:05 AM

Tom is pretty sharp and I will not take anything away from him on that....but everyone has an opinion and most of the time all of them will be a little different.

The RPM-II or a box upper will maximize your combo better than a ported cobra lower IMHO. At least that is what I have found from my years of experience....:D

I can tell you that the cobra intake likes 14 psi though :D:D

:rofl:
Not anymore as it likes the NA route now....
The TFS-R that is taking it's place will like the 14-15 psi of boost....:D