PDA

View Full Version : New Starter Prob..

89StangRompt
02-17-2010, 09:11 PM
Ight i put the new flywheel in and it started up perfectly but now when i try to start the car now it still grinds but its not as bad as used to and when i left off of the key it act like the starter kinda keeps going or just stays enganged when i let off the key its acting like it going backwards or somthing like that any ideas this time around?

QWKSNKE
02-17-2010, 09:28 PM
Bendix is not disengaging. Need to check the wiring at the starter

89StangRompt
02-17-2010, 09:48 PM
Bendix is not disengaging. Need to check the wiring at the starter

I did what you said b4 do i need to change it back to the way it was?

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/3296/selonoid.png

qkjuicedpony
02-18-2010, 04:20 AM
Thats the correct wiring for a mini starter.

Check your ignition switch next to see if it is hanging.Ignition switches were common issues in fox body cars so I'd just replace it if I were you

89StangRompt
02-18-2010, 02:07 PM
Thats the correct wiring for a mini starter.

Check your ignition switch next to see if it is hanging.Ignition switches were common issues in fox body cars so I'd just replace it if I were you

if thats it then that sucks cuz i dont have all that much more money to put into this car i already put like 2500 in it(thats alot for me) to get it like it is but ill try soon

89StangRompt
02-18-2010, 10:08 PM
I even put shim on it and it still does it

grabbinandstabbin
02-18-2010, 11:00 PM
after it is cranked and running, check to see if the starter side of the solenoid still has fire. if it does it could be a bad solenoid. also check if it still has fire to see if the the start wire( the one on the little stud) still has fire. if so, then this would indicate a bad ignition switch, which is about a 15 dollar part. these things are notorious for going bad. hope this helps.

grabbinandstabbin
02-18-2010, 11:05 PM
just noticed that you put on a mini starter. does it have the solenoid build into the starter? if so i would wire it a little differently. this could be your problem.

89StangRompt
02-18-2010, 11:44 PM
just noticed that you put on a mini starter. does it have the solenoid build into the starter? if so i would wire it a little differently. this could be your problem.

yeah its got selonoid on the starter the pic in top of this page is how i have it wired that a memeber on the forums said to wire it

and are u talking about to the key switch or the mechanical parts? of the switch

grabbinandstabbin
02-19-2010, 01:49 AM
the electrical part inside the column. i would wire the factory solenoid just as it was from the factory and i would put a jumper wire across the two terminals at the starter. hope this helps.

swammi
02-19-2010, 05:02 AM
the jumper wire across the two terminals at the starter will cause it to stay engaged. trust me i know from experience!

qkjuicedpony
02-19-2010, 05:47 AM
the electrical part inside the column. i would wire the factory solenoid just as it was from the factory and i would put a jumper wire across the two terminals at the starter. hope this helps.

Why rig it up when you can wire it just like it came from ford in 93-95

QWKSNKE
02-19-2010, 06:57 AM
Why rig it up when you can wire it just like it came from ford in 93-95

+1......

grabbinandstabbin
02-19-2010, 08:42 AM
94 and 95 models do not have a solenoid on the apron. it is built onto the starter.

swammi: if it stayed engaged then you wired it wrong.

Italian LX
02-19-2010, 09:54 AM
i would wire the factory solenoid just as it was from the factory and i would put a jumper wire across the two terminals at the starter. hope this helps.
Nope, this will not work. If you jump them together at the starter, it will keep cycling a bit before it finally drops out.

Basically, the starter will act as a generator and supply voltage (via the jumper wire) to the on-board solenoid -- not a lot of voltage, but just enough to keep the bendix engaged for a second or so. This is why the on-board solenoid needs to be seperated from the supply voltage once the key is released.

. . . Yes, there is a reason why Ford had to change the wiring when they added the mini-starter. ;)

89StangRompt
02-20-2010, 05:11 PM
Nope, this will not work. If you jump them together at the starter, it will keep cycling a bit before it finally drops out.

Basically, the starter will act as a generator and supply voltage (via the jumper wire) to the on-board solenoid -- not a lot of voltage, but just enough to keep the bendix engaged for a second or so. This is why the on-board solenoid needs to be seperated from the supply voltage once the key is released.

. . . Yes, there is a reason why Ford had to change the wiring when they added the mini-starter. ;)

Sooooooo, what do u think i need to do