PDA

View Full Version : Oil

Blown54
02-25-2010, 07:10 PM
fixin to change the oil in the coupe and im not sure what oil/filter i wanna use.
the build sheet says it has 20w50 in it but im not sure. what does everybody think i should run. its a daily driven, high revvin, 10.5-1 compression
363 stroker

QWKSNKE
02-25-2010, 07:14 PM
20w50 for real?

Why do people want to run a thick ass oil like that... The build sheet you refer to, is it from an actual engine shop?

coupe
02-25-2010, 08:03 PM
If you have the actual engine build sheet, what are some clearances like mains, rods, cylinders, rings, etc...? Might say 20w50 for a reason. :nice:

I've been happy with WalMart Supertech filters...cut several filters open a few years back and they are nicely constructed inside. And made in the USA which is a plus!

Blown54
02-25-2010, 08:42 PM
i will have to get the sheet to look. i dont have it by the computer.

Blown54
02-28-2010, 02:56 PM
found the sheet, doesnt list the clearances... just a parts list and engine dyno results and variables...

any opinions on a good oil and filter???

QWKSNKE
02-28-2010, 05:01 PM
I have always ran Motorcraft filters. Pretty sure all of those blocks are based on the FL-1A filters. In my 93, I always ran Havoline 10w30 soley because that is what I grew up around. Brian always runs Penzoil. (Also 10w30 I believe). Personally I would never run any 50 weight oil in any engine I build but someone may have built your motor with the tolerances not near as tight as Brian and I have done on the 5-6 engines we have built.

I swapped my 08 to Royal Purple. Probably will run it from this point forward (for extended mileage in between oil changes. But I don't know of anyone that sells that in 20W50.

Honestly Brad, it doesn't matter what brand you run as long as it changed as it should be (3k-5k miles). If the motor has the neoprene valve cover and oil pan gaskets, I would run a synthetic if it doesn't then don't as synthetic will kill cork gaskets over time. Although Brian and I ran two different brands of oil, both of our high mileage motors looked really nice and clean on the inside because of normal maintainence