PDA

View Full Version : few question about 351w swap

dropemlow
03-06-2010, 08:36 PM
ok i been lookng into doing a 351w swap into my 90 fox. so far i seen that i can use top stuff off the 302 for the 351w like heads intakes. im not going to do the swap to this coming winter. but i would like to start buying stuff little at a time.
i need to know what block should i look for. i want to stay with a roller block. and also want to stay with a efi stuff.
i was thinking about getting the trickflow track heat intake and matching heads or afr 185's. not sure on what cam to look into yet. the power goal im lookng for is around 400rwhp. from what i read shouldn't be to hard to get out of a 351w swap.
i know i will need a oil pan swap kit and headers. i have a cowl hood so i can use the 5.0 motor mounts right? im hoping to beable to do this for around 4500 bucks.

im still researching this trying to get a list going to know what to start buying. so any info would be nice.
thnaks alot.

93cobra1928
03-06-2010, 08:41 PM
Can't use the 302 lower intake on the 351 it's too narrow.
Will need a 351W dizzy also. Motor mounts are the same.

dropemlow
03-06-2010, 09:02 PM
Can't use the 302 lower intake on the 351 it's too narrow.
Will need a 351W dizzy also. Motor mounts are the same.

didnt know about the lower intake so i guess i will have to go with a r series from trick flow. and i was counting on a new dizzy.

thanks

grabbinandstabbin
03-06-2010, 09:43 PM
you will need new headers and if you are going with power steering and a/c you will need the outer metal bracket for the 351w. you will also need a double hump oil pan for 351w and a 28oz flywheel and harmonic balancer. the 5.0 is 50oz.

dropemlow
03-06-2010, 09:50 PM
you will need new headers and if you are going with power steering and a/c you will need the outer metal bracket for the 351w. you will also need a double hump oil pan for 351w and a 28oz flywheel and harmonic balancer. the 5.0 is 50oz.

thanks i have that on the list. and i will be using the air and ps. alabama gets to hot in the summer.

EHardy1971
03-07-2010, 10:17 AM
You can get the oil pan from either an 80's model Crown Vic PI, or an E series van with the 351W. Try to find a '94 and up truck/van block if you want to go with a roller cam block. The one to look for is the F4TE casting, which will be by the starter mount.

dropemlow
03-07-2010, 05:15 PM
thanks eric! im going to make some calls this weeke and see what i can find. also going to go to pullapart to look to.

SlowJoe
03-07-2010, 05:19 PM
I have oil pan and pickup. and other parts

grabbinandstabbin
03-07-2010, 09:50 PM
also if you use the convertible mounts it will set the engine lower in the engine compartment but you may not need them with the cowl hood.

04350Z
03-08-2010, 03:08 AM
Damn Jason..... Just put that 4500 into that 302 and boost it!

dropemlow
03-08-2010, 11:08 AM
also if you use the convertible mounts it will set the engine lower in the engine compartment but you may not need them with the cowl hood.
yea i was reading that somewhere but didnt know if it was true.

Damn Jason..... Just put that 4500 into that 302 and boost it!

that would be to easy and i dont want boost on this one. im going to build this with room to grow. might be some juice down the road with this set up.

2Fas4ya
03-14-2010, 09:24 PM
If you already have some bolt on parts on your 302 that will just fit on the 302 you have already and the motor is in decent condition why not just buy the heads your wanting and the intake you are wanting then why not just get a stroker kit for the 302 you already have. For $4,500 and decent 302 to start with (if thats the case) and if you already have some of the basic bolt on parts anyways that want swap over then should be able to get close to what you are looking for with maybe less of a headache looking for things needing for swap and having to do away with any bold on parts assuming you have some that will not be able to use on the 351 block. The just have compression setup for the nitrous you plan on down the rd.

yea i was reading that somewhere but didnt know if it was true.

that would be to easy and i dont want boost on this one. im going to build this with room to grow. might be some juice down the road with this set up.

dropemlow
03-15-2010, 12:30 PM
If you already have some bolt on parts on your 302 that will just fit on the 302 you have already and the motor is in decent condition why not just buy the heads your wanting and the intake you are wanting then why not just get a stroker kit for the 302 you already have. For $4,500 and decent 302 to start with (if thats the case) and if you already have some of the basic bolt on parts anyways that want swap over then should be able to get close to what you are looking for with maybe less of a headache looking for things needing for swap and having to do away with any bold on parts assuming you have some that will not be able to use on the 351 block. The just have compression setup for the nitrous you plan on down the rd.

the only parts i have on the 302 that want swap over is the headers.
the 302 i got now is in good shape except for it having 143xxx miles on it. the motor is stock except for the underdrive pulleys,cai,and the exhaust.