PDA

View Full Version : New style syncro's

Dale McPeters
04-05-2010, 02:38 PM
For anyone that rebuilds a TKO-500 or 600 be very very afraid of the prices on the new style Upgraded brass friction lined blocker rings for 3550, TKO, 500, 600 as they are not cheap.....:lol:

They do help slow down the rotating mass to shift at high rpm better but boy are they hard on the pocket book.....:baby:

chvyeter
04-05-2010, 03:07 PM
it's only money :)

Italian LX
04-05-2010, 03:16 PM
So, what was the financial damage?

Can you also post part numbers and from whom you purchased them?

BLOWN95GT
04-05-2010, 04:04 PM
You got my attention what kind of price are we looking at?:popcorn:

Italian LX
04-05-2010, 04:27 PM
Come on, Dale. . . Inquiring minds want to know. :D

tayzoid1
04-05-2010, 07:02 PM
im kinda wonderin too for when i have to rebuild mine

Dale McPeters
04-05-2010, 07:40 PM
it's only money :)

Yep, I could have got by a lot cheaper but opted for the good stuff...:D

So, what was the financial damage?

Can you also post part numbers and from whom you purchased them?

Well are you sitting down?

The standard brass syncro's/blocker rings are about $17 a pop. These are the ones that come standard in all 3550 & new style TKO-500 & 600's.

The lined synco's/blocker rings are about $75 a pop and greatly improve the shifting as the friction material is able to slow the rotating mass a lot better.
I am not sure who all sells them now but Bob Hanlon has them in stock and does give technical advice when needed. Well at least he does for me...:D

Brian, you will probably want to do 2nd, 3rd & 4th gear syncro's/blocker rings on your TKO-500. It will help with the 2-3 shift a lot. That is what I am going to do on the trans I got from John.
:banana2:

Although Bob did say that some people are getting by with just doing the 2nd & 3rd but why tear the trans down and not do them all? Well all but 1st & 5th as these should not need them.

And he does sell a dvd now in place of the vhs tape showing complete overhaul on the 3550 and TKO's for those that are not mechanically inclined.

chvyeter
04-06-2010, 03:39 PM
Yep, I could have got by a lot cheaper but opted for the good stuff...:D

Well are you sitting down?

The standard brass syncro's/blocker rings are about $17 a pop. These are the ones that come standard in all 3550 & new style TKO-500 & 600's.

The lined synco's/blocker rings are about $75 a pop and greatly improve the shifting as the friction material is able to slow the rotating mass a lot better.
I am not sure who all sells them now but Bob Hanlon has them in stock and does give technical advice when needed. Well at least he does for me...:D

Brian, you will probably want to do 2nd, 3rd & 4th gear syncro's/blocker rings on your TKO-500. It will help with the 2-3 shift a lot. That is what I am going to do on the trans I got from John.
:banana2:

Although Bob did say that some people are getting by with just doing the 2nd & 3rd but why tear the trans down and not do them all? Well all but 1st & 5th as these should not need them.

And he does sell a dvd now in place of the vhs tape showing complete overhaul on the 3550 and TKO's for those that are not mechanically inclined.

I didn't see if you mentioned but how did everything look inside?

Dale McPeters
04-06-2010, 05:05 PM
I didn't see if you mentioned but how did everything look inside?

Nothing that I can't fix. :D
I am replacing most all bearings and all of the syncro's.
Some of them would probably have worked but I just did not
want to take the chance based on what it is going behind.
I will take the main shaft to Pete so he can do his magic.
Will have to replace a couple of gears but I knew that going into this.....:D
Total cost should not go above $600 or $700.

With what I paid you and the extra I am planning on spending
I will still come out better than buying a new one and it will shift a lot better too. :D

chvyeter
04-07-2010, 05:09 AM
Nothing that I can't fix. :D
I am replacing most all bearings and all of the syncro's.
Some of them would probably have worked but I just did not
want to take the chance based on what it is going behind.
I will take the main shaft to Pete so he can do his magic.
Will have to replace a couple of gears but I knew that going into this.....:D
Total cost should not go above $600 or $700.

With what I paid you and the extra I am planning on spending
I will still come out better than buying a new one and it will shift a lot better too. :D

Well that's good. I'm glad it's gonna work for you. Better to go thru it now and replace anything questionable.

Dale McPeters
04-07-2010, 11:23 AM
Well that's good. I'm glad it's gonna work for you. Better to go thru it now and replace anything questionable.

Hey I forgot to ask what kind of oil were you running in this trans?
It looked like plain old ATF.

chvyeter
04-08-2010, 08:12 AM
Hey I forgot to ask what kind of oil were you running in this trans?
It looked like plain old ATF.

You are correct. I never put the GM synchro mesh cuz I never had any issues with it being hard to shift like a lot describe.

Dale McPeters
04-08-2010, 08:45 AM
Just an FYI that explains what happened to the clutch cones then.

The ATF will make them shift a little easier but it sure cuts down on the longevity of the trans. It is better to use GM syncro mesh or a very good synthetic. The synthetic will help with the shifting issue some and make the trans last a lot longer.........had that happen to the TR-3550. Had to replace the brass blocker rings & a clutch cone after I bought the blue car back from Troy.....:banghead:

chvyeter
04-09-2010, 05:28 AM
Just an FYI that explains what happened to the clutch cones then.

The ATF will make them shift a little easier but it sure cuts down on the longevity of the trans. It is better to use GM syncro mesh or a very good synthetic. The synthetic will help with the shifting issue some and make the trans last a lot longer.........had that happen to the TR-3550. Had to replace the brass blocker rings & a clutch cone after I bought the blue car back from Troy.....:banghead:

everywhere I read I never read anyone that opened the trans to see what happens with the ATF. Guess I know now.