PDA

View Full Version : 95 cobra

rj95svt
04-16-2010, 08:13 AM
I figured that I would post some pics of my slow ongoing project car. I bought the car about 3 years ago. The car had a small underhood fire caused by a brittle old fuel hose that goes from the passenger side strut tower to the fuel rail. The fire burned up some of the engine wiring harness but other than a burnt hood liner and some warped melted small plastic pieces the car was really unharmed otherwise. I bought the car from someone who had already replaced the engine harness and got the car running again. The car has never been wrecked and had 67,000 miles. The front bumper cover had been recleared at some point but the prep work was bad as the clear is pealing off the bumper. The only mods done to the car was welded in flowmasters and tinted windows.

Here it is as it sits today, The engine short block is out of a fox body but has a lifter tick that I cannot seem to get rid of (I broke some lifters and had to pull the crower 15511 cam that I did have in it that was my fault). I done some slight port work to the factory gt40's and installed some good valve springs purchased from thumper460 on corral, ported the lower intake, put some mac shorty headers, off road X pipe, bassani catback, 3.73's, CAI, and a tweecer RT.

I am getting a very good running 60,000 mile 95 gt engine out of a friends wrecked car. I am just gonna install my heads, intake, roller rockers, and probably a TFS 1 cam. I may hide some wiring, powdercoat the front brackets and clean up the engine bay some if I can as money is tight due to my newborn baby and my wife not working at the moment. I will post some pics of the engine when I go pick it up. Progress will be slow but I will update it when I get into it better. Sorry for the long post but I figured I would give the story about the car.

rj95svt
04-16-2010, 08:20 AM
Here is the current engine and a pic of the 96 tail lights (stockers were faded badly) that I used VHT niteshade on.

I also still have all the factory parts except the mufflers and h pipe

BLOWN95GT
04-16-2010, 07:45 PM
That is a sweet looking cobra!:metal: If you can get it to run as good as it looks it is going to be an awesome car. Oh and if you ever want to get rid of it I call dib's just let me know!

coupe
04-16-2010, 09:36 PM
Nice... pretty rare car too! Keep an update going! :nice:

rtusnake
04-16-2010, 11:21 PM
Nice looking car. Should be a good project

SlowJoe
04-17-2010, 02:58 AM
nice ride!

rj95svt
04-17-2010, 05:10 AM
Thanks guys, the pics make it look better than it actually does. I have some big plans but it will take me awhile to get much done to it. I should have the engine ready in the next few months though. My plans include a single turbo for about 400-450rwhp at some point. It should be pretty easy to get that kind of power out of it with a turbo.

Anyone here of on 3 performance turbo? They are currently working on a turbo kit for 94-'95's but it includes a offshore built turbo. Although they offer upgrades to mp t70's for about 300. Their fox body kit is only $1495.

93cobra1928
04-17-2010, 07:21 AM
Thanks guys, the pics make it look better than it actually does. I have some big plans but it will take me awhile to get much done to it. I should have the engine ready in the next few months though. My plans include a single turbo for about 400-450rwhp at some point. It should be pretty easy to get that kind of power out of it with a turbo.

Anyone here of on 3 performance turbo? They are currently working on a turbo kit for 94-'95's but it includes a offshore built turbo. Although they offer upgrades to mp t70's for about 300. Their fox body kit is only $1495.

Read up on them on theturboforums, the materials are crappy and most everyone has fitment issues with their stuff. B&G custom turbo makes some good stuff and isn't that much more expensive plus you get a warranty on the piping.

rj95svt
04-18-2010, 06:55 PM
Read up on them on theturboforums, the materials are crappy and most everyone has fitment issues with their stuff. B&G custom turbo makes some good stuff and isn't that much more expensive plus you get a warranty on the piping.

I have read up on there but the people who actually bought the kits never complained. They are no longer a sponser over there because several forum members gave the owner a hard time and a moderator of the forum decided to let it go to get rid of all the drama. The moderator also stated himself that there was never one single complaint from people who bought the kits. That's all I really know about them.

I have no doubt that B&G would be a great option but until I see someone that has a on 3 kit complain I am gonna consider them.

SlowJoe
04-18-2010, 07:19 PM
they dont complain because they dont want to hear i told you! i just read some on them and seen pics of headers and piping. i would stay away from that kit. you would come out better to flip some shorty headers around and do it myself and get with coupe (Matt) on here for a turbo. you will come out better in the long run IMO

And we also need all the money in the USA we can get:jester:

rj95svt
04-18-2010, 10:06 PM
they dont complain because they dont want to hear i told you! i just read some on them and seen pics of headers and piping. i would stay away from that kit. you would come out better to flip some shorty headers around and do it myself and get with coupe (Matt) on here for a turbo. you will come out better in the long run IMO

And we also need all the money in the USA we can get:jester:

That may very well be the case but several people on corral are starting builds with their kits but I agree that we need to keep the money around in the US:american:
I am just looking right now trying to figure out what is best for me and my financial situation because unfortunately my budget is nearly non existent. It may be a few years before I can afford the turbo kit though so I have plenty of time to figure out what I want.

rj95svt
04-28-2010, 08:39 AM
update, I picked up a low mileage 95 engine the weekend and pulled the oil pan off of it to see what it looked like and it is extremely clean on the inside. I did see that the harmonic dampener was coming apart so I am going to check the main bearings and make sure everything looks good there. The engine had very low mileage and the cylinder walls look like the engine was just put together. I think this will be a good starting point. My plan is to drop on my gt40 heads and intake along with a decent cam. I have not decided on the cam yet but I have changed my mind on the turbo and decided to go N/A. If I need more I'll just put a small shot of nitrous on it. So that leaves me looking at the Anderson N-21 cam which seems to have been designed for combos such as mine.

I have always wanted a turbo car and I do want to build a turbo car at some point but after more thought I may just save that project for my 70 mustang fastback. That car has no A/C, P/S, or P/B's and the shock towers are gone to make way for a mustang II front suspension which leaves me plenty of room for a custom turbo build. I believe that will make a more unique car............ I have to many projects to work on!!!!!!

Here is some pics of the engine as it sits now

Craig K.
04-28-2010, 09:22 AM
Glad to see another '95 Cobra on here

rj95svt
04-28-2010, 03:26 PM
Glad to see another '95 Cobra on here

I forget how rare 94-95 cobras are due to seeing one every day when I get home now but I see 96-98's nearly every day.