PDA

View Full Version : computer reflashing

cmylxgo
04-26-2010, 06:51 AM
got a guy that wants to sell me his 97 cobra 4.6dohc and has new motor installed,but for some reason it turns over but will not fire up..told me it needs computer flashed..is this true or could there be other issues..price of car is cheap enough even if i had to spend a bit to get it going..

QWKSNKE
04-26-2010, 06:54 AM
Is it a different computer then waht came with the car? If so, it may have something to do with the computer not recognizing the key

cmylxgo
04-26-2010, 06:57 AM
it is the same computer in the car just a whole new cobra motor..costed 4800 i seen all the paperwork on engine..but he said something like he undone the battery for some reason thus the problem then happened..i will get more info bout lunch time today..

NO2MORO
04-27-2010, 01:08 PM
If it is the stock ecu there should be no reason to reflash. It could be a bad ecu.

SlowJoe
04-27-2010, 02:24 PM
See if computer is throwing any codes. just went threw this on my 02. it was giving a p1260 code. it turned out to be my door lock. put the chiped key in door and trunk lock and turn it a few times

SlowJoe
04-27-2010, 02:27 PM
O is the theft light flashing real fast when u turn the key on?

93cobra1928
04-27-2010, 04:39 PM
..but he said something like he undone the battery for some reason thus the problem then happened....

Disconnecting the battery on an OBD2 vehicle won't do anything to the computer no matter how long it's undone.

tayzoid1
04-27-2010, 08:27 PM
Disconnecting the battery on an OBD2 vehicle won't do anything to the computer no matter how long it's undone.
on some it will erase them. we have to go through certain procedures at work involving an obd 2 connector and a jumpbox becasue of rare cases when we change batteries

QWKSNKE
04-27-2010, 09:18 PM

kills the keep alive memory which in most case is not a big deal but I have seen a stock obd II mustang that would not idle until it was limped around for a week after the battery was unhooked.

However, this is completely abnormal.

93cobra1928
04-28-2010, 05:09 AM
on some it will erase them. we have to go through certain procedures at work involving an obd 2 connector and a jumpbox becasue of rare cases when we change batteries

kills the keep alive memory which in most case is not a big deal but I have seen a stock obd II mustang that would not idle until it was limped around for a week after the battery was unhooked.

However, this is completely abnormal.

Ok, I stand corrected, but....other than clearing KAM, I
have never run into one that would erase the memory
by leaving the battery disconnected. I sold parts for years
to commercial customers and worked on them myself and
haven't ran across this personally although anything is
possible.

cmylxgo
04-28-2010, 06:07 AM
thanks for the headsup guys..should be getting car today..hope all goes well and what does it usually run to have this procedure done at dealership or independent shop..i havent made any calls yet till i have car in hand..

SlowJoe
04-28-2010, 07:17 AM
You wont like price!

NO2MORO
04-28-2010, 08:11 AM
OBD II computers do have to complete a learn cycle if they lose the keep alive memory. Cycle time is usually 5 times of hitting 45 and then coming to a stop.

He might want to make sure that the ecu is grounded and that the engine block is grounded. That would cause the same symptoms.

cmylxgo
04-29-2010, 08:43 PM
O is the theft light flashing real fast when u turn the key on?
tried cranking car again today but turns over and theft light is flashing constently..

SlowJoe
04-29-2010, 09:15 PM
It is not reading the key. let it quit flashing and get the code it will be like flash pause 3 flashes or some like that.. u can have the PATS turned off by a turner