PDA

View Full Version : Using Methonal Injection for Blower/Turbo Cars

Dale McPeters
05-06-2010, 10:20 AM
Who all on the site is running a methanol injection setup in their blower or turbo setups?

I just bought an AFM Mr. Freeze setup to put on the '93 cobra. I know that there are supposedly better systems on the market but the AFM units are so simple and you do not have to worry about any activation switches etc. etc.

So with that out of the way what are you guys using and what kind of results are you having?

yellowSVT
05-06-2010, 11:04 AM
none yet still dont know much about them!

BLOWN95GT
05-06-2010, 02:13 PM
Who all on the site is running a methanol injection setup in their blower or turbo setups?

I just bought an AFM Mr. Freeze setup to put on the '93 cobra. I know that there are supposedly better systems on the market but the AFM units are so simple and you do not have to worry about any activation switches etc. etc.

So with that out of the way what are you guys using and what kind of results are you having?

I was running a snow performance stage 2 water methanol kit on my car with a vortech s trim up until about two weeks ago and never had any problems. I had it to cool the intake charge and richen my a/f curve I was running the snow performance premix boost juice as a mater of fact I sold the suprcharger and methanol kit and still have three gallons of boost juice left if you want to come pick it up you can have it I couldn't ship it with the methanol kit.

BLOWN95GT
05-06-2010, 02:49 PM
I just read up a little on the mr freeze kit on the Anderson website you say it has no switches to activate the kit how does it hook up and introduce the water methanol to the intake. Remember just because it's simple and easy does not mean it's better in other words you get what you pay for. Just wondering how it worked because you don't want water methanol leaking into the intake after you get out of boost or turn the car off because it can hydro lock the motor.

Dale McPeters
05-06-2010, 02:50 PM
I was running a snow performance stage 2 water methanol kit on my car with a vortech s trim up until about two weeks ago and never had any problems. I had it to cool the intake charge and richen my a/f curve I was running the snow performance premix boost juice as a mater of fact I sold the suprcharger and methanol kit and still have three gallons of boost juice left if you want to come pick it up you can have it I couldn't ship it with the methanol kit.

I know a couple of people around here that run a snow kit. Seems to work very good...

The Mr. Freeze kit works off of vac/boost pressure. No switches or activation devices needed....

I am afraid that it would be way out of my way to drive over and pick up just three gallons.........I would have to pick up enough to fill up my 18' car trailer so I could sell it and pay for the diesel that I would use to get there and back.....:D

Hey and I just noticed somebody moved my thread.......:lol:

ncontt
05-06-2010, 03:31 PM
buddy of ours had the Snow kit on his V-2'd vert and LOVED it!!! was able to run LOOOOW 10's (10.20's) in a full weight/full interiored/fully optioned 93 vert, stock hood, stock ponies etc, etc.

BLOWN95GT
05-06-2010, 03:43 PM
Yea I picked up 4 degrees of timing, about 20hp, 30ft lbs, all the way across the chart and the a/f ratio went from 12.7 to 11.3 on the top end. I had the controller on mine so the meth kicked in at 6psi. But I also had a solenoid that opened when the kit activated and closed when you got out of boost to keep the methanol that was left in the line from leaking into the intake. Just a couple of questions about the Anderson kit? If the kit runs off boost vacum pressure does the boost pressure push the methanol in to the intake and if so what keeps the vacum pressure or the flow of air through the intake tube from sucking methanol in while not in boost?

Dale McPeters
05-06-2010, 04:46 PM
It is setup old school with vac. diaphragms .... there is no pump to go out..
And it spray's in before the blower. The diaphragms open and close just like a switch...think old school. We used them for years before all this electrical/electronic stuff came about..........:D

And besides that if Rick and Brian both tell me it will work like a charm that is good enough for me....

I am looking for opinions on the actual improvement on the meth injection side of it anyway not which system is better than the other....

Brad how much did it cool the intake charge or did he say and was this on a stock type engine?

Dale McPeters
05-06-2010, 05:46 PM
By the way blown95gt what were you using to tune the car with when you saw those gains in hp & tq?

BLOWN95GT
05-06-2010, 05:48 PM
It is setup old school with vac. diaphragms .... there is no pump to go out..
And it spray's in before the blower. The diaphragms open and close just like a switch...think old school. We used them for years before all this electrical/electronic stuff came about..........:D

And besides that if Rick and Brian both tell me it will work like a charm that is good enough for me....

I am looking for opinions on the actual improvement on the meth injection side of it anyway not which system is better than the other....

Brad how much did it cool the intake charge or did he say and was this on a stock type engine?
I wasn't trying to say one was better than the other I just had to know how it worked without electronics. I've never seen anyone with one of these kits but if it works good I would
like to know I may end up getting one myself for the turbo project I'm fixxing to install on my car instead of paying over $300 for another snow kit

93cobra1928
05-06-2010, 05:55 PM
...for the turbo project I'm fixxing to install on my car...

What kit are you going to use?

93cobra1928
05-06-2010, 05:57 PM
Double post :doh:

Dale McPeters
05-06-2010, 05:59 PM
Yep the snow kits are high dollar for what you actually get...
The AFM kit I bought was bought by a friend of mine and never installed.
He can not use it in the new mean streat class so I bought it as I do don't run in any particular class. If I go to the track it is more of a t&t time anyway.

I just could not see spending that kind of money for the snow or ais kits when the afm kit is so simple in design.

I was hoping someone on the site had actual data from datalogging like air temp timing etc. Oh well I guess I will be the tester for this as I can datalog all that info when I get it all setup and installed. :D

BLOWN95GT
05-06-2010, 06:11 PM
As far as where I got the numbers from I went to walker dyno and had the car tuned without the kit about a year ago then when I installed the kit I took it back to Blake again so it was on the same Dyno but keep in mind when I went without the kit it was like 90 degrees outside and when I went with the kit it was only 20 degrees so you should see a lot better gain Blake said that the correctin factor in the Dyno was taking about 15 percent of the power away because it was so cold. As far as the turbo kit it's going to be custom built by a friend I will post some pics in the project section sometime this weekend.

Dale McPeters
05-06-2010, 06:20 PM
Well from what I have heard Blake seems to know what he is doing.
And that is a big difference in outside temps to get any idea of what the true gains were....

Did he datalog the iat temps when the meth kit was installed to see what the intake charge temps actually were?

BLOWN95GT
05-06-2010, 06:37 PM
No We didn't keep track of the intake temps we were more concerned with getting the a/f down to a safe level and it did great. Let me know how the kit works for you when you get to test it I am very interested.

ncontt
05-06-2010, 09:23 PM
I want to say he got intake temps down to almost ambient air temps!!! and this was with a 347+ (started as a 347 and bored it out even more) with AT LEAST 10.5:1 compression motor (used to be a nitrous motor) and then went with the V-2 SQ running 13-15#'s (motor did 440+HP on dyno) so no....it wasn't stock...lol

Dale McPeters
05-07-2010, 09:14 AM
I want to say he got intake temps down to almost ambient air temps!!! and this was with a 347+ (started as a 347 and bored it out even more) with AT LEAST 10.5:1 compression motor (used to be a nitrous motor) and then went with the V-2 SQ running 13-15#'s (motor did 440+HP on dyno) so no....it wasn't stock...lol

Yeah I didn't think it was a stock type motor....

That is a very good reduction in air temps to be able to get it down to almost ambient..

I have been reading some of the threads on the corral about using meth injection but their numbers seem to be all over the place as far as how much it really cools the intake charge even when running an inter-cooler...

The octane boost will help in my situation though when I am winding the motor a little tight...

And here is a picture for blown95gt showing the kit >

coupe
05-07-2010, 09:24 AM
:rofl: :lol: :lol:

Dale McPeters
05-07-2010, 09:28 AM
Oops that is Lee F. trying to take my walnuts...:jester:

Here is the correct one....take a close look at how the kit is actually actuated/deactivated then you will understand how it works...

EHardy1971
05-07-2010, 10:22 AM
I've been kicking around the idea of one of these kits for my coupe, as they can be used for high compression N/A, and nitrous setups. From what I've read, the only drawback to using a meth kit, is that you tend to get rust on steel/cast iron parts after awhile. But the benefits of being able to run higher timing and pump gas seem worth it to me.

Dale McPeters
05-07-2010, 11:58 AM
I've been kicking around the idea of one of these kits for my coupe, as they can be used for high compression N/A, and nitrous setups. From what I've read, the only drawback to using a meth kit, is that you tend to get rust on steel/cast iron parts after awhile. But the benefits of being able to run higher timing and pump gas seem worth it to me.

Well I went an looked at a guy's car the other night that has been running a meth kit for about 25,000 miles and there is no rust anywhere....
He has the upper half of the motor off to change out the springs and it was all as clean as a whistle.

And he showed me some of Fast XFI datalogs from before and after the meth kit installation along with the dyno sheets. The actual gains that he had was pretty impressive and the inlet air temp dropped from about 220 to around 100 or so, with a gain of 75hp and about 110ft/lbs of torque. Ambient temp was 92 degrees on both dyno runs so that is a constant.

I did however learn one good thing I need to add another IAT sensor before the meth injection point and move the factory IAT to about 6" in front of the TB. That way I can datalog both sensors.

EHardy1971
05-07-2010, 04:42 PM
Well I went an looked at a guy's car the other night that has been running a meth kit for about 25,000 miles and there is no rust anywhere....
He has the upper half of the motor off to change out the springs and it was all as clean as a whistle.
Aluminum heads?

Dale McPeters
05-07-2010, 06:23 PM
Aluminum heads?

Yep Afr 225's

EHardy1971
05-07-2010, 09:23 PM
Yep Afr 225's
Makes sense. I've seen pics of iron heads with very light rust in the combustion chambers, but IIRC, they were running a 50/50 meth/water mix.

Dale McPeters
05-11-2010, 06:55 AM
Makes sense. I've seen pics of iron heads with very light rust in the combustion chambers, but IIRC, they were running a 50/50 meth/water mix.

I don't know what percent of each that the "Boost Juice" is that I bought with the mr freeze unit......but I got 4 gallons of it.....

I think it originally came from Snow?

EHardy1971
05-16-2010, 09:20 AM
I don't know what percent of each that the "Boost Juice" is that I bought with the mr freeze unit......but I got 4 gallons of it.....

I think it originally came from Snow?
Yep, Snow makes the boost juice. When I get my new toy after I get back from Kuwait, it will probably get a meth kit thrown at it too.

ncontt
05-16-2010, 09:26 AM
And he showed me some of Fast XFI datalogs from before and after the meth kit installation along with the dyno sheets. The actual gains that he had was pretty impressive and the inlet air temp dropped from about 220 to around 100 or so, with a gain of 75hp and about 110ft/lbs of torque. Ambient temp was 92 degrees on both dyno runs so that is a constant.
That's pretty impressive to me!!!

I did however learn one good thing I need to add another IAT sensor before the meth injection point and move the factory IAT to about 6" in front of the TB. That way I can datalog both sensors.

Very interesting!!