PDA

View Full Version : Rear diff bushings

93cobra1928
05-14-2010, 05:07 AM
I'm about to do a rear end swap in the cobra in the next couple
of weeks. Being that this is a street driven car that will see an
occasional test and tune, what would y'all recommend for bushings.

I will be upgrading the rear control arms in the future but don't
know which ones I will buy. Suggestions in that department
are welcome also.

QWKSNKE
05-14-2010, 06:41 AM
Only if they are bad..

If factory 5 still offers control arms, those are the best for the money. Beyond that you could look at the Steeda's, and Maximum Motorsport pieces

86GTPONY
05-14-2010, 07:03 AM
I kept the factory uppers in mine, but replaced the bushings in the housing with the Energy Suspension urethane ones. The lower control arms I used J & M - which are copies of Maximum Motorsports. I am very happy with the results! :nice: If you have the rear end out, it's a whole lot easier to replace the bushings. Good luck!!

86GTPONY
05-14-2010, 07:11 AM
Also - MM recommends that if you use their lowers, to keep the stock uppers. Reason is that the stock uppers still have some flex to them and they won't bind up, but if it were me, I would do a double adjustable upper with the spherical bushings at one end. I think UPR makes a spherical that goes in the rear end housing as well, but I don't know if I trust them... Either way, a spherical at one end should eliminate any binds should you ever wanna take a few hard turns.

Italian LX
05-14-2010, 07:28 AM
Also - MM recommends that if you use their lowers, to keep the stock uppers.
I will have to disagree with using stock uppers with aftermarket lowers. Sure, it may reduce suspension binding, but it will eventually rip up your torque boxes... especially if you do a lot of drag launches with sticky tires.

I'm sure MM says this so that customers can't complain about their binding control arms, but then again, MM won't have to reweld your torque boxes either.

Italian LX
05-14-2010, 07:30 AM
If factory 5 still offers control arms, those are the best for the money.
:agree:

I've been using a set (uppers/lowers) in the coupe for years now and love them; decent ride quality and pretty good traction. Not the best in either department, but great all-around which is a neccessity if you have a true daily-driven street car like mine.

93cobra1928
05-14-2010, 10:16 AM
The rear end I'm using is coming out of an 87-88 turbocoupe.
Being that old I would think that the bushings have seen better
days. I will find out Sunday.

I will look into the factory 5's. It's a street car but not my DD,
I use my truck most of the time. Should be interesting to
see the change from 3:08 to 3:55

QWKSNKE
05-14-2010, 11:28 AM
I will have to disagree with using stock uppers with aftermarket lowers. Sure, it may reduce suspension binding, but it will eventually rip up your torque boxes... especially if you do a lot of drag launches with sticky tires.

This is a very true statement..

Craig K.
05-15-2010, 11:29 PM
remember that MM is more of a road racing crowd, where you do not see the massive shock to the suspension like you do when drag racing, instead you push the bushing to the limit and hold it there.
I did road race with a urathane housing bushing and a spherical joint on the body side for about 5 years and did have some cases when the rear end just completly bound up and would want to snap around, I talked to several other racers who ran stock to avoid this. really the rear for road racing depends on how mush cash you have as there are a lot of different set ups you can go with.

For street and drag go with one of the aftermarkets as suggested.

Sendero
05-16-2010, 06:22 PM
Mustang Rear Lower Control Arm Tech (http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=tech_rear_susp_rlca)

93cobra1928
05-16-2010, 07:43 PM
Thank's Sendero! Good read :nice: