PDA

View Full Version : Which is better? Supercharger or Turbo?

csewell878o
05-25-2010, 07:42 AM
I have a 89 coupe with a v-1 s trim supercharger, but there is a guy with a new 56mm twin turbo setup for a fox. Which would make more power and reliabilty?:banghead:

Dale McPeters
05-25-2010, 08:02 AM
Oh you are opening up a can of worms.....:D

On a street/strip car a cent. blower or a a small turbo setup

With the turbo/turbo's you will have more under hood heat. And on a foxbody the EEC-IV is not as easily tuned like the late model EEC-V's. The early EEC-IV's are rpm based not load based.

Tuning the EEC-IV's with a cent. blower works very well as you can base timing etc. on rpm instead of load.

Note all of this assumes you are keeping the factory EEC-IV. If you are swapping that for an AEM, BS3 or Fast then what I posted above is mute...

I personally like a centr. blower for street/strip use as they do not generate as much under hood heat. And that is a good thing for us desert rats...:D

Although the turbo's would probably make more overall power than the V1-S trim..

I would talk to coupe he can help on the turbo side and make suggestions on what to do about the cooling issues.

tayzoid1
05-25-2010, 09:19 AM
if you swap, lemme know i might be interested in the charger

coupe
05-25-2010, 09:57 AM
The twin 56mm turbos could probably make around 800-900hp... the most I've seen out of an S-trim is around 600hp. But... if you're only after 500-600, then I think the S-trim might be a better choice because the twin turbos might be somewhat lazy with a little 308. Ultimately, that all depends on the cam, heads, tune, converter, etc...

Now... a single 62-67mm turbo would be a different story on that 308. Just ask Blake Walker.

csewell878o
05-31-2010, 07:30 AM
I went and look at the turbo kit and it is twin t3/t4 hybrids, small piping, and a small intercooler. Dont think it is worth the trade, I think I can get more out of my supercharger.

ncontt
05-31-2010, 09:49 AM
I went and look at the turbo kit and it is twin t3/t4 hybrids, small piping, and a small intercooler. Dont think it is worth the trade, I think I can get more out of my supercharger.

don't underestimate a couple small twins.....just look at the Incon TT kit...guys are/were making silly HP numbers on Stock/stockish combos... as always this comes with the disclaimer of "YMMV"...... your mileage may vary :popcorn:

csewell878o
05-31-2010, 10:05 AM
How much hp and boost are the t3/t4 turbos good for?

ncontt
05-31-2010, 10:20 AM
I'm sure Matt will chime in at some point, but it depends on alot of factors, housings, the wheels in them, etc. But the Garrett BB turbos I had in my old coupe were .68's I believe and they were good for "about"300-400 each I "think". Of course those were high dollar ones with oil lube and water cooled and ball bearings that run/ran about 1200-1300 each as I recall (I got them with the Incon kit)

hevymtl
06-01-2010, 02:39 PM
Turbo.

QWKSNKE
06-01-2010, 07:10 PM

What do you mean more out of the supercharger? Power or money?
If you mean you can get more money, the vortech will not be worth as much as a twin turbo kit. Used Vortechs are lucky to bring $1800

csewell878o
06-08-2010, 06:52 AM
What do you mean more out of the supercharger? Power or money?
If you mean you can get more money, the vortech will not be worth as much as a twin turbo kit. Used Vortechs are lucky to bring $1800

I think I can get more power out of the supercharger than the small turbos. I think the turbo are ebay specials.

93cobra1928
06-08-2010, 07:39 AM
The twin 56mm turbos could probably make around 800-900hp... the most I've seen out of an S-trim is around 600hp. But... if you're only after 500-600, then I think the S-trim might be a better choice because the twin turbos might be somewhat lazy with a little 308. Ultimately, that all depends on the cam, heads, tune, converter, etc...

Now... a single 62-67mm turbo would be a different story on that 308. Just ask Blake Walker.

I think I can get more power out of the supercharger than the small turbos. I think the turbo are ebay specials.

Twins will definately make more power than an S-trim, but with a stock block you will never see it

QWKSNKE
06-08-2010, 10:47 AM
Twins will definately make more power than an S-trim, but with a stock block you will never see it

exactly. twin 56's is not a small setup by any means