PDA

View Full Version : Dyno'd yesterday

QWKSNKE
04-03-2005, 08:41 AM
Drove the 93 down to Blake's yesterday and put it on the rollers. First 2 pulls showed the car was way lean (13.2 a/f) Finally got a enough fuel put in it on the 3rd run. Put down 478 rwhp/501 rwtq. :(

Not sure what is going on but the car is losing a LOT of power at 5000 rpm. Brian did see the boost drop 2 psi or so around that rpm and try to move back up. New motor is actually making less power than the old motor from 4000 rpm and up.

Here is the graph.

Green= New motor
Blue = Old motor

http://www.qwiksnake.com/dyno/old vs new.jpg

Gotta review my datalogs from the pulls and see what's going on.

On the last pull, it sounded like a rocker arm backed off. So i went to pull it off the dyno and noticed that there was absolutely no oil pressure. Brian brought me back home so that I could get the truck and trailer to go back and pick up the car. I get down there to pick it up and it has oil pressure :shrug:

Anyways, it looks like for the first time in 5 or 6 years, that the 93 will not make it to FFW :tlash: But I will bring the truck/trailer in case some one breaks :nice: May put the Focus in the Focus Frenzy class :D

slvrbullit
04-03-2005, 10:29 AM
Congrats on the numbers even tho they are lower than before they are still impressive. Sucks that you are having oil presssure issues, maybe you can get it worked out soon.

Wall96cobra
04-03-2005, 12:51 PM
Hell Lee you still have 2 weeks until FFW, don't give up that easy.

Wicked
04-03-2005, 02:46 PM
Belt slip and tight new motor. A new motor isn't gonna make the power the old one did.

When I built the motor in my 89', I felt it get stronger everyday as it gained mileage. My 02GT felt the same way, felt strongest after 4-5K miles.

Good luck getting it figured out, Bro.

QWKSNKE
04-03-2005, 04:05 PM
Hell Lee you still have 2 weeks until FFW, don't give up that easy.

Money Pit has broke the bank! Never should have put this damn supercharger on. I can only think of one motor problem I ever had with nitrous in the 4-5 years I sprayed it. About ready to go back to it.

Italian LX
04-03-2005, 04:53 PM
Belt slip and tight new motor. A new motor isn't gonna make the power the old one did.
Yeah, we already wrote the drop-off and the lower overall curve on both of those. :nice:

Wicked
04-03-2005, 05:05 PM
Money Pit has broke the bank! Never should have put this damn supercharger on. I can only think of one motor problem I ever had with nitrous in the 4-5 years I sprayed it. About ready to go back to it.

Yeah but you weren't making the power you have with the blower either.

86GT
04-03-2005, 05:57 PM
When you compare the logs look at the temps. They can really change things. It also seems as if you were still running lean with the new motor.

The oil pressure seems weird. Are you using the factory oil sending unit and guage. It might be worth changing the sending unit out. I have never heard of lossing oil pressure and then regaining it. This would lead me straight to the guage or sending unit. The only other thing would be low oil level.

QWKSNKE
04-03-2005, 07:14 PM
Yeah but you weren't making the power you have with the blower either.

made more torque than with the blower but yeah hp wise, the blower is 100 more.

Brian,
I thought that on the 478 pull there was no belt slip :shrug:

Wall96cobra
04-03-2005, 07:27 PM

Well I wouldn't blame all your problems on the blower, I really don't think it is the cause of them. With nitrous you only had the power when you turned the nitrous on plus you didn't have a tune for it, you just had the stock tune....but with the supercharger you had an entirely new tune so there were alot of learning curves plus you had the power all the time so yeah the stock motor went but it was time for it to. The rocker thing can't really be blamed on the blower either, it's just another new thing you had to play with to get right.

NightHawk756
04-03-2005, 07:35 PM
The oil pressure seems weird. Are you using the factory oil sending unit and guage. It might be worth changing the sending unit out. I have never heard of lossing oil pressure and then regaining it. This would lead me straight to the guage or sending unit. The only other thing would be low oil level.I was gonna say the same thing. It may be the sending unit. Just seems weird that you had it, then didn't, then did again. That's what had me thinking sending unit or possibly the gauge. :think:

NightHawk756
04-03-2005, 07:37 PM
Don't let the initial problems get you down Lee. I expect to have some also. It's just "new motor" bugs, as they say. You'll get it worked out and be happy. And as said before, the motor should keep increasing in hp as it breaks in. Hang in there Bro! :chug:

QWKSNKE
04-03-2005, 07:57 PM
I was gonna say the same thing. It may be the sending unit. Just seems weird that you had it, then didn't, then did again. That's what had me thinking sending unit or possibly the gauge. :think:

Well I would think that but Brian and I both heard the blower screaming when I idled it off the dyno and to the parking place. I noticed this morning when I took it off the trailer that there was some oil on the bed. I am going to try to get time to adjust the rocker arm tomorrow and drive it around the local streets and see if it acts up.

banditmwp
04-03-2005, 07:58 PM
:think:

You're already throwing out FFW? How do you expect to inspire the up-and-coming Eastsiders if you give up so soon? :shrug: :D

Go fix your car. :P

QWKSNKE
04-03-2005, 08:57 PM
definitely time for some injectors. I noticed when reviewing my datalog awhile ago that the 42's are seeing 98% duty cycle in the upper rpm which is about 25% to much

svopaul
04-04-2005, 07:17 AM

Lee, I've been there...the exact same sentiments as you but different problems. My LX was a daily driver and I beat the hell out of it for years....until I put my blower on...I was working out tuning issues and had run a 12.4 @116 on 7 cylinders....then the trans TV Bushing fell out and I had to pull the trans to fix it(this was a $3500 Art Carr trans so naturally I was not happy). Then a friend(HBH) said "Give me the heads and I'll port them while the trans is out"...so I pulled the engine and gave Hermann the heads....long story short the car ended up sitting for 3 years waiting for my heads and I started to lose interest and said the exact same thing...."Wish I had never put the blower and new engine in the car"....in the end once sorted out and right I was happy again and then got an offer I couldn't turn down...

Point being that you have crossed the line so to speak....you were used to the daily reliability and beatings you had given it and now you have a new animal to deal with...it's frustrating at times. Only you can determine if you are happy with either setup but I'm just here to say that I feel your pain and have been there....it doesn't just happen to you ;)

99LS1
04-04-2005, 07:23 AM
98% Duty cycle? hell you're just now starting to work it :jester:

Wall96cobra
04-04-2005, 07:33 AM
Hell Lee just find a little s-trim to throw on there, simple non-intercooled, you'd have more room and wouldn't have to have the bigass BOV venting to atmosphere. Maybe you could find someone that wanted to upgrade and you could get alittle money out of it too. An s-trim would definatly be more streetable.

QWKSNKE
04-04-2005, 10:01 AM
Hell Lee just find a little s-trim to throw on there, simple non-intercooled, you'd have more room and wouldn't have to have the bigass BOV venting to atmosphere. Maybe you could find someone that wanted to upgrade and you could get alittle money out of it too. An s-trim would definatly be more streetable.

I think a t-62 would be also :D

joker
04-04-2005, 10:07 AM
Or a nice little direct port wet kit with about a 250 shot :jester:

Wickd GT
04-04-2005, 10:27 AM
Lee, did you find out about the oil pressure, is the sending unit or the gauge. Do this, go get a cheap oil pressure gauge and hook it right at were the oil sending unit was. Then see what is your oil pressure, if you have 30-60 psi there is not problem with the oiling system. If it drops down after it warms up below 30psi, then it probably has spun bearing. Did the gaskets work good for you? Another thing, did you found out what is the thickness of the gasket? If they are .051" you lost almost a point of compression, that is why the low hp and torque. Get a set of injectors, that huffer is big so it is pulling a lot of air, you need to give some more fuel to it too.

Edgar

Shorty
04-04-2005, 02:18 PM
Edgar said sort of what i was wondering. if the increased displacement would cause the power to decrease without an increase in boost. :shrug:

still not bad numbers tho.

Craig K.
04-04-2005, 08:08 PM
Lee if you want to borrow a good mechanical gauge, I have one in my garage, you'r more than welcome to borrow it.

You had said it sounded like a rocker was starting to get loose, do you think that you'r rockers have all backed off a little, thus not allowing the valves to open fully? Usually poli-locks don't loosen though....

QWKSNKE
04-04-2005, 08:12 PM
Lee, did you find out about the oil pressure, is the sending unit or the gauge. Do this, go get a cheap oil pressure gauge and hook it right at were the oil sending unit was. Then see what is your oil pressure, if you have 30-60 psi there is not problem with the oiling system. If it drops down after it warms up below 30psi, then it probably has spun bearing. Did the gaskets work good for you? Another thing, did you found out what is the thickness of the gasket? If they are .051" you lost almost a point of compression, that is why the low hp and torque. Get a set of injectors, that huffer is big so it is pulling a lot of air, you need to give some more fuel to it too.

Edgar

Gaskets are .040"

Tore the car apart today and replaced both pushrods on #6 cylinder. Actually broke the intake valve pushrod. Put it back together and cranked it up. Oil pressure so far is holding good. Blower has an odd sound though.

I am going to drive it around tomorrow after work.

NightHawk756
04-04-2005, 08:40 PM
Gaskets are .040"

Tore the car apart today and replaced both pushrods on #6 cylinder. Actually broke the intake valve pushrod. Put it back together and cranked it up. Oil pressure so far is holding good. Blower has an odd sound though.

I am going to drive it around tomorrow after work.Man!! Your new nick-name is gonna be Pushrod Killa!! :jester:

Craig K.
04-04-2005, 08:43 PM
Lee, have you ever checked to make sure that the geometry for your push rods is correct? are they the right lengths, no wierd angles, also you are running a harden push rod with guide-plates right?

Could the blower noise have been from a loss in oil pressure? Did you need to drain the oil to get any scrap metal out from the brake?

QWKSNKE
04-04-2005, 09:05 PM
no. I found the broken piece. Yes the rockerarms are rolling on the valve stem correctly. I am betting those broke due to detonation when on the dyno the other day. Car's a/f was in the 13's a little longer than it should have been.

either way. I will try to a oil change tomorrow or Wednesday.

ChipR4cam
04-04-2005, 09:18 PM
:tlash:STOP BREAKING PUSHRODS, FOR CRAP SAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

Italian LX
04-04-2005, 10:45 PM
El Destructo strikes again. :evil:

EZ SPEED
04-05-2005, 04:48 AM
:nono:

ChipR4cam
04-05-2005, 09:06 AM
El Destructo strikes again. :evil:
:yup:

:nono:

Wickd GT
04-05-2005, 09:37 AM
Well the only thing I can come up for the push rod breaking is, if detonated that hard then, you need to keep an eye on the oil pressure. Tell me what are the specs of your cam, it sounds to me like the valves are floating to easy and that causes this symptom. If the srpings are not matching the cam then you need to consider it, because is going to be doing it all the time.

Edgar

QWKSNKE
04-05-2005, 09:42 AM
sent you a pm on my theory.

I'll have to send you the cam specs when I get home today. I do know that the cam is a .544 lift