PDA

View Full Version : My Sons turbo project..

Wickd GT
08-13-2010, 08:52 PM
Guys here is a link to it. Converter will be here and we will start once I put the motor in.

Edgar

http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=142372.0

coupe
08-13-2010, 09:37 PM
:metal: :metal:

waypastcrazy
08-14-2010, 08:54 AM
Should make more than enough power for a street ride. Nice!

rtusnake
08-14-2010, 06:23 PM
Car should run pretty good with that combo.

Dale McPeters
08-16-2010, 01:25 PM
Nice job Edgar.....:nice:

What are you going to use to tune it with?

Wickd GT
08-17-2010, 05:14 AM
Nice job Edgar.....:nice:

What are you going to use to tune it with?

I'm taking it down to XXX Motor sports in Pensacola. He is the guy that always comes to our track day and he is a pretty good tuner. We want a safe tune with probably around 450-475hp and torque some were the same. Then again the AOD sucks most of it on the dyno.

Edgar

ncontt
09-23-2010, 07:09 PM
Edgar, what did you guys do as far as the header bolts? Mine is the ponydown stage 3 kit and has 1 3/4 tubes coming off the header flange (1/2 thick) and I'm catching hell trying to get it to seal up right....going to try some header studs tomorrow, at least on a few of the bolt holes, to try and get it lined up right.

My problem has been mostly with the pass. side as there isn't much room to work over there. My downpipe goes under the manifolds where as your guys' goes over I believe.

This will be the 3rd time I've had them off, trying to get em to seal up right. I'm using the ultra copper RTV.....BTW, what's the proper technique with that stuff? Some say let it sit for 10 mins to skin over and some say put it right on there....:dunno:

ncontt
09-23-2010, 07:42 PM
also, what size exhaust are you guys running on there? Mine has the 3 1/2" downpipe, then into a single 3 1/2" race bullet that is too loud for my taste....

Wickd GT
09-23-2010, 10:23 PM
also, what size exhaust are you guys running on there? Mine has the 3 1/2" downpipe, then into a single 3 1/2" race bullet that is too loud for my taste....

I did not use RTV on the header flanges because mine came warped. So had a hard time to seal them so had to take them to the machine shop and take as much as we could in a belt sander and bought a set of Mr. Gasket ultra seal header gasket, the ones that are oval type. The bolts are ARP with a 5/16 head 1" long and worked perfect. The down pipe is 3" into a Y 2.5 pipe with ultra flow mufflers from Dynomax and tail pipes. Right now we are having electrical issues and making the motor misfire but at cruise only not at wide open throttle. Tomorrow taking the tranny out, it is hurt, some how in the dyno, is shifting rough and don't want to down shift when coming to a stop and when it stops it hangs in 2nd gear. This damn car is pissing me off, ready to put a match to it and get it over with.

Edgar

BLOWN95GT
09-24-2010, 06:25 AM
Let me know before you do, Im coming over for some parts first, It never hurts to have a couple extra!
Nah j/k don't let that thing :whip2:you.
Do you think the electrical problem has anything to do with the tune or what was used to tune it?

ncontt
09-24-2010, 03:03 PM
Thanks Edgar. Ya, I also tried the ARP's with the 5/16" head and they worked well, but some of my bolt holes are a bit "tired" and the 1" length makes them a bit "iffy" when tightening them.

Thanks again...I am on the right track but it's these little things that piss you off like you said! Hang in there, hot rods can't all run like your stang!! :-)

Wickd GT
09-24-2010, 03:55 PM
Thanks Edgar. Ya, I also tried the ARP's with the 5/16" head and they worked well, but some of my bolt holes are a bit "tired" and the 1" length makes them a bit "iffy" when tightening them.

Thanks again...I am on the right track but it's these little things that piss you off like you said! Hang in there, hot rods can't all run like your stang!! :-)

Well we took it apart, 2-3 servo was junk and the hard plastic went through the valve body. The overdrive servo had the half of the snap ring out of the groove and the pin of the servo broke off, how??? We don't know. The planetary drum and what ever gear is that joins were both welded to each other, this tranny got REAL hot to do that. The Kevlar overdrive band is fried, but most of the clutches were fine not burn just a bit hot. We are freshening it up completely and the Throttle control cable was crack at the throttle mounting bracket at the throttle. This the reason of the car jerking back and forth. Had to order the the tranny cable which Ford does not sell anymore. So had to call MPS in GA to get a use one which cost 100.00 bucks!!!!

Edgar

ncontt
09-24-2010, 06:23 PM
Dammit!!!! That sucks for sure. If i'm not mistaken those snap rings are notorious for coming loose and wrecking all kinds of hell inside the trannys. I hate dealing with MPS, they absolutely rape folks on parts, but if you need it you need it ya know?

I have just come in from taking my headers off for the 3rd time....looks like I'm going to have to put heli-coils in some of the holes b/c they're just not going to hold. I guess I just muscled up on them too much trying to get them tight so they didn't leak. Oh well!

Wickd GT
09-25-2010, 11:02 AM
Dammit!!!! That sucks for sure. If i'm not mistaken those snap rings are notorious for coming loose and wrecking all kinds of hell inside the trannys. I hate dealing with MPS, they absolutely rape folks on parts, but if you need it you need it ya know?

I have just come in from taking my headers off for the 3rd time....looks like I'm going to have to put heli-coils in some of the holes b/c they're just not going to hold. I guess I just muscled up on them too much trying to get them tight so they didn't leak. Oh well!

Take them to the machine shop and see if the flanges are straight. Ours did not come straight from pony down and I told Jeff about it too.

Edgar

ncontt
09-25-2010, 04:22 PM
going to try and band-aid them for right now. I got this kit "used", it didn't have all the parts (didn't know @ the time), so it's been nickel...well $25'n me to death here lately. I took a belt sander to them LAST time I had them off, but the passenger side is such a bitch to try and get fasteners into that I am considering taking the motor out to helicoil the bolt holes in my heads and put in a new rear main seal that has been weeping a bit of oil (drops here and there).

Going to use the studs to line em up when I put em back on, ASSuming I have enough room in there!

Thanks again.
Brad

ncontt
09-25-2010, 04:23 PM
oh, btw, what kind of numbers did Cheo's car put down? I can't remember if I saw it somewhere or not.