PDA

View Full Version : Foxbody Dyno Tuning/Chip burning & battery

Dale McPeters
09-21-2010, 10:24 AM
Well I talked to a member of the forum last night at length about an issue with tuning a foxbody mustang and using a chip to take control of the calibration console...

When doing DIY tuning or having someone else tune a foxbody on the dyno always make sure that the battery is disconnected before plugging or unplugging any kind of chip module to/from the EEC processor.

Make sure that the dyno shop understands and complies with this and add it to the waiver that you have to sign. If the shop owner does not want to do this then find another shop or tune it yourself.

I do not know how many times I have seen people destroy the EEC, chip or both by not doing this or by static electricity.

Even if you turn the ignition switch off you still have power to the EEC as the keep alive memory has to have voltage to the EEC at all times.

I know that most shops will tell you that this does not need to be done but IMHO it is extra insurance against destroying the EEC, chip or possibly both..

coupe
09-21-2010, 01:19 PM
Thanks Dale. I still need to do something with mine. :(

Dale McPeters
09-21-2010, 01:52 PM
Thanks Dale. I still need to do something with mine. :(

Did you ever get the catch code off of the EEC box that you currently have?

coupe
09-22-2010, 12:43 PM
... no, but I will.

SvoBrown
09-22-2010, 06:55 PM
Wish you had your shop close by and had the time. Mine could be better!

coupe
09-22-2010, 09:28 PM
Kerry...close by your place is like saying the Earth is "close by" the Sun. :jester:

SvoBrown
09-23-2010, 06:59 PM
That is why they are still looking for me!!!