PDA

View Full Version : 03 Wheel hop

TRMN8R
11-27-2010, 06:30 AM
I have a 2003 Cobra with the IRS. Motor has some work, and is putting about 500 hp to the wheels. I recently put a Spec Stage 3+ in the car, and it is a real PITA to launch at the dragstrip. I've got about 600 break in miles on the clutch, and it now has good street manners (it was real ugly when brand new, but they do break in good).

Matt at Spec suggested checking with all of you re how to get a good launch at the strip. The IRS has urethane bushings, not the stock rubber, but factory shocks.

He also suggested I look for RTUSNAKE at this site for suggestions.

ANY ideas, RTUSNAKE or anyone else? I appreciate the help!

TheJeanyus
11-27-2010, 07:59 AM
Welcome to the forum. :jeanyus:

Stickier tires, stiffer springs, and adjustable shocks all help with the wheel hop. A differential brace will help prevent the diff cover from exploding when it does hop. :D I had a brace, H&R springs, drag radials (for a little while), and urethane bushings on mine, and it didn't hop too bad...but it was still really hard to launch. The truth is, it's just going to be tough to drive on street tires with 500hp regardless of what you do.

TRMN8R
11-27-2010, 09:35 AM
Where did you get your H&R springs? I have a differential brace cover, and am running Nitto drag radials. I think Mickey Thompsons next spring may be a good idea. Did you run the stock shocks? I have not been able to find adjustable shocks for the IRS.

qkjuicedpony
11-27-2010, 10:12 AM
Put a solid axle in it and be done....or spend a lot of money of halfshafts

QWKSNKE
11-27-2010, 11:33 AM
Moved to the proper forum.

Look into the stuff from Full Tilt boogie

http://fulltiltboogieracing.com/index.htm

I have bought a couple of items for my wife's 01 cobra and plan to buy more since most of her bushing are shot

rtusnake
11-27-2010, 05:43 PM
If you run at the strip alot, don't run drag radials. Subframes are the best mod imo to help with wheel hop. I had subframes, adjustable shocks and irs brace on mine. Didn't hop on slicks or street tires. I would get a et drag to run at the track. I went a best of 1.48 on my irs and usually mid 1.5s when I had a ported eaton

TRMN8R
11-27-2010, 06:37 PM
Thanks, all.
I am going to keep the IRS, and the 6 speed. I have a 26 spline (Liberty) in the transmission. I have urethane bushings in the IRS, but will serioulsly look at the alternative to MM parts. I also have full length subframe connectors welded in.
I have Level 5 axles, so no worries about that, although I think they made a mod that affects how they fit, but not how they work. I recommend them for racing, but if you try them and they look like they don't fit right let me know. I can save you some hassles.
I do my own wrench turning, so if you run into a problem installing parts on or in your IRS let me know. You do not need to completely pull the IRS from the car to install any bushing, or to pull the pumpkin(regardless of what you read). I've done it myself, singlehandedly, in my garage.
I am looking for advice or mods that will let me launch with the Spec Stage 3+. I like the grip, but don't know what additional mods or launch technique I need to get it to work real good at the track. I ran 7.4s in the 1/8 with the stock clutch with 40K on it, and finally toasted it last year. I want to get quite a bit faster with the Spec. I plan on new track tires next spring, so advice there is also wanted. I am running 17 x 10.5 rims.

TRMN8R
11-27-2010, 06:39 PM
What adjustable shocks, and what tires were you running, rtusnake?

darkside
11-27-2010, 06:47 PM
i don't have anything to add here, but welcome to the forum fellow northern alabamian.

TRMN8R
11-27-2010, 07:02 PM
Thanks. Darkside. Would like to see your ride. My Cobra is black, with dark grey ghost flames, in Decatur, usually run at Huntsville and Moulton, occasionally Steele.

rtusnake
11-27-2010, 07:10 PM
What adjustable shocks, and what tires were you running, rtusnake?

I ran hbh adjustables. Not sure if they are still available anymore. I always ran a 28x10.5 et drag on 15x10 wheels. I ran a 26" tire with my eaton setup.

Btw here is my level 2 dss axles after 3 passes lol
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h85/rtusnake/127.jpg
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h85/rtusnake/128.jpg

TRMN8R
11-27-2010, 07:46 PM
I heard Level 2's could do that, so that's why I went with 5's. So far real good, but they don't seem to be familiar with all the dimension changes from Ford. Otherwise real happy with the axles. Let me know if you hear of some good adjustable shocks. What rpm did you launch, and was it hard or soft off the pedal?

TheJeanyus
11-27-2010, 09:02 PM
I forgot about subframe connectors. Those made a HUGE difference.

I think my springs came from Lethal Performance, but that was a few years ago now lol...

EHardy1971
11-27-2010, 09:35 PM
Just wanted to say :welcome: to the site! When you get a chance, post up some pics of your ride in the studio sub-forum so we can check it out.:nice:

rtusnake
11-28-2010, 01:01 AM
I usually left around 5500-6000 letting the pedal out really quick. When you go back to steele let me know, would like to check the car out

QWKSNKE
11-28-2010, 08:05 AM
I forgot about subframe connectors. Those made a HUGE difference.

Yeah, since that is the first mod done (or should be) to any car pre-S197 era, it is easy to assume that has already been completed

EHardy1971
11-28-2010, 12:15 PM
Yeah, since that is the first mod done (or should be) to any car pre-S197 era, it is easy to assume that has already been completed
:werd: They made a noticable difference on my coupe.

TheJeanyus
11-28-2010, 01:37 PM
I usually left around 5500-6000 letting the pedal out really quick. When you go back to steele let me know, would like to check the car out.

On a street tire? :eek:

QWKSNKE
11-28-2010, 02:00 PM

LOL. Depends on your definition of street tire

yellowSVT
11-28-2010, 08:13 PM
welcome 17x10.5 wheels and 315's here!

rtusnake
11-28-2010, 08:57 PM

I drove on the street with them :jester: