PDA

View Full Version : general a/f ratio question

darkhorse
12-28-2010, 11:58 AM
I have looked at many ford truck forums and none are up on eec stuff... I have a 94 bronco 5.8 seems to be speed density ...i am not shure (no maf) ....it runs way rich .... it has dual exhaust no cats which could contribute to this ... i timed it up to about 14 degrees opened up plug gap ...the regular efi small block ford junk and it runs much better....

changed all sensors (they were due anyway) it still smells like raw gas out the pipes, did ford set the ecm way rich from the factory ????? any ideas would be great....

EHardy1971
12-28-2010, 12:00 PM
I have looked at many ford truck forums and none are up on eec stuff... I have a 94 bronco 5.8 seems to be speed density ...i am not shure (no maf) ....it runs way rich .... it has dual exhaust no cats which could contribute to this ... i timed it up to about 14 degrees opened up plug gap ...the regular efi small block ford junk and it runs much better....

changed all sensors (they were due anyway) it still smells like raw gas out the pipes, did ford set the ecm way rich from the factory ????? any ideas would be great....
Yes, it's speed density if it has no MAF meter. What did the plugs look like when you pulled them out?

darkhorse
12-28-2010, 12:03 PM
brown ,replaced with motorcraft standard copper plugs

86GTPONY
12-28-2010, 12:22 PM
Speed density systems don't take too kindly to a bunch of big mods like heads & cam. Switching to a mass air set-up would be ideal, but you could probably get by with a a/f ratio gauge and an adjustable fpr to lean it out.

darkhorse
12-28-2010, 12:34 PM
i dont know if they make a maf conversion for the truck w/ two blade throttle body .....will look into fuel press reg /a/f ratio thing

darkhorse
12-28-2010, 01:10 PM
seems you have pointed me in the right direction .....after searching maf conversions....found speed density is "bank fired" , not true sefi which explains it all .... which will clear the way for heads cam ect.. all four injectors fire at same time instead of one at a time wow that sux might as well run a freakin carb....

THANKS.....

QWKSNKE
12-28-2010, 01:19 PM
seems you have pointed me in the right direction .....after searching maf conversions....found speed density is "bank fired" , not true sefi which explains it all .... which will clear the way for heads cam ect.. all four injectors fire at same time instead of one at a time wow that sux might as well run a freakin carb....

THANKS.....

A large percentage of fuel injected vehicles are this way. Including MAF systems.

Also, just because you smell 'raw gas' at the tail pipes does not necessarily mean it is rich. It means that the combustion is not burning efficiently. Need to check all iginitions components.
Do like Eric said and pull the plugs, see which cylinders look 'off'

86GTPONY
12-28-2010, 01:32 PM
A large percentage of fuel injected vehicles are this way. Including MAF systems.

Also, just because you smell 'raw gas' at the tail pipes does not necessarily mean it is rich. It means that the combustion is not burning efficiently. Need to check all iginitions components.
Do like Eric said and pull the plugs, see which cylinders look 'off'

:agree: Also, it shouldn't be too much a pita to convert to mass air. I used a $34 pigtail deal off ebay like this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Mustang-Mass-Air-Flow-MAF-pigtail-1988-1995-/280279951591?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4141fca8e7 and an a9l for my 86. I couldn't do a wire harness swap from an 89+ because it was totally different. Got it done in about 2 hours.

EHardy1971
12-28-2010, 02:48 PM
Somebody made a MAF conversion for these trucks (I have a '95 F-150 4x4 BTW), and may still make them. Summit used to carry them. Not ALL the F series/Broncos were bank fire. Being a '94 yours should be SEFI. The best way to check is by looking at the sticker on the computer where the bar code is. As was mentioned in another thread here recently, Ford changed a lot of stuff on the trucks from year to year, and sometimes at mid-year. But back on topic, like QWK posted, just because it smells like raw gas doesn't mean it's rich. If the plugs are brown, it sounds like the A/F is good to me.

darkhorse
12-30-2010, 09:25 AM
does the sticker on ecm say "sefi" or do i need a decoder ring ? the more research i do the more i realize i will most likely have to live with the non sefi setup due to the fact that there is no ecm that will take care of 4x4/e4od/sefi/maf/ obd1 no vehicle existed with that setup from ford , the lightning is maf/e4od/sefi config,but the 4x4 wont go into low range according to most info avail...

a/f ratio is prob good in combustion chamber ..just seems like a waste of fuel ...

EHardy1971
12-30-2010, 10:37 AM
does the sticker on ecm say "sefi" or do i need a decoder ring ? the more research i do the more i realize i will most likely have to live with the non sefi setup due to the fact that there is no ecm that will take care of 4x4/e4od/sefi/maf/ obd1 no vehicle existed with that setup from ford , the lightning is maf/e4od/sefi config,but the 4x4 wont go into low range according to most info avail...

a/f ratio is prob good in combustion chamber ..just seems like a waste of fuel ...
Yes, SEFI is what your looking for, for Sequential Electronic Fuel Injection. Yeah, you may have to live with what you have, OR, go with a custom tune. Considering how many of these trucks that were built, I've never understood why there wasn't much of an aftermarket for them. About all you can find for them that is F-150/Bronco specific, is the Edelbrock intake, BBK throttle body, headers, and K&N CAI. And the Edelbrock intakes are expensive.

darkhorse
02-05-2011, 08:49 PM
...edelbrock intake is indeed expensive... i kinda wanna put a carb on it ...seems i have no tuning options ..... and all the trappings of efi
(hoses wires and crap all over the place)
no obd-II tuneability, cant upgrade cam , no really practical way to add maf ... i keep seeing a edelbrock performer intake/carb/cam/heads package ,pertronix ignitor ignition....and just go knucledragger on it .... would be so easy ....

darkhorse
02-07-2011, 12:36 PM
i will start a thread in the right place...ha ha