PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations on vacuum caps & hoses

86GTPONY
01-12-2011, 07:33 PM
Can anyone make a recommendation? It seems like every other month I have to replace the vacuum caps on my Turbo Coupe. I been using OE style rubber and they just seem to crack and fall apart too often. Thanks!

jonosranger
01-12-2011, 07:52 PM
Just use vacuum hose and bolts or sticks!:jester::jester:

QWKSNKE
01-12-2011, 09:06 PM
have you tried the assorted caps you can get your local parts store?

86GTPONY
01-13-2011, 06:46 AM
have you tried the assorted caps you can get your local parts store?

Yeppers... (The rubber ones anyway) They all just disintegrate after a couple months. Interesting thing though, it's the caps on the vacuum tree. The caps & hoses that are right there at the wastegate never seem to have any problems. I have seen the "multi-colored" poly/plastic lookin ones at the parts store, but I seem to recall them not being very flexible. Another thing I also have to do is either hose clamp or zip tie the caps on because at 18 psi they tend to blow off - even if they're on real snug.

Craig K.
01-13-2011, 04:00 PM
I would recommend golf tees

actually I was going to say try using a worm clamp on them if you can get one on them.

waypastcrazy
01-15-2011, 04:31 PM
You need a check valve on the line that feeds the vac tree?or pvc is stuck open or vac lines could be routed incorrect.jmo

waypastcrazy
01-15-2011, 05:17 PM
Check lines routing just in case.Here is routing for #1 stock boost controller and #2 if you have the gillis type.:dunno:

waypastcrazy
01-16-2011, 09:49 PM
This is how I would try it.Tee the boost gauge and controller to the intake vac source as to keep them working proper.Then install pcv in the main line so it will not allow boost to back track through the vac tree..jmo thinking outside the box.:shrug: Also the gas vapor from vapor canister from the tank can and will deteriorate hoses.

EHardy1971
01-16-2011, 11:40 PM
Yeppers... (The rubber ones anyway) They all just disintegrate after a couple months. Interesting thing though, it's the caps on the vacuum tree. The caps & hoses that are right there at the wastegate never seem to have any problems. I have seen the "multi-colored" poly/plastic lookin ones at the parts store, but I seem to recall them not being very flexible. Another thing I also have to do is either hose clamp or zip tie the caps on because at 18 psi they tend to blow off - even if they're on real snug.
Those are the ones to get. I got tired of the rubber ones dry rotting all the time, and switched to the vinyl colored ones, and haven't had any problems with them. Theyre flexible enough, and last forever.:nice:

86GTPONY
01-17-2011, 07:35 AM
This is how I would try it.Tee the boost gauge and controller to the intake vac source as to keep them working proper.Then install pcv in the main line so it will not allow boost to back track through the vac tree..jmo thinking outside the box.:shrug: Also the gas vapor from vapor canister from the tank can and will deteriorate hoses.

I think my routing is fine - but I might try this & see what happens.

Those are the ones to get. I got tired of the rubber ones dry rotting all the time, and switched to the vinyl colored ones, and haven't had any problems with them. Theyre flexible enough, and last forever.:nice:

Thanks Eric!