PDA

View Full Version : Quarter horse power gains?

BIGDATOWN
03-23-2011, 08:50 PM
I have a mostly stock 90 mustang lx 5.0...What can I do with this tuning software to make the car even more impressive. Trying to do all I can with a stock h/c/i aod car. All bolt ons available and tuning I would really like to run a 8.50 in the 1/8th. The car runs 9.90 with just exhaust and a drop in air filter, and timing set at 15 degrees.

ncontt
03-24-2011, 06:57 PM
you got a stock converter in it? A decent gear in the rearend and a nice converter and getting it to hook will get you the best times.

QWKSNKE
03-24-2011, 07:16 PM
Tuning generally helps everyday driving bugs, economy, etc. There is usually some minor power gains that come along with it but generally not enough to justify a tuner for straight track car.

Agree with ncontt. Converter, gears, and sticky tires will best money spent.

BIGDATOWN
03-24-2011, 08:57 PM
Cool. Well fine tuning ability is I guess what I'm really after. I drive this car on very long trips quite often. Already have the sticky tires, doing gears this weekend, and got to make some extra money to be able to afford a converter lol

coupe
03-25-2011, 10:49 AM
With stock cam, heads, etc... the drivability should be pretty darn good.

Put a 4.10 gear, a 2500-2800 converter, and a shift-improvement kit in the car and it will not only drive even better, but it will probably run close to the 8's. :nice:

BIGDATOWN
03-25-2011, 11:06 AM
Well I already have some 3.73's that are going in the car this weekend. And the stall i'm going with will be a 3Kish 10" converter. Only reason I am wanting to even consider the tuning part is just for optimizing the best the car can be. And of course the best fuel economy lol

QWKSNKE
03-25-2011, 11:14 AM
On a stock vehicle you won't see gains.

BIGDATOWN
03-25-2011, 11:41 AM
For some reason I just find that hard to believe. Seems like you could really dial in for a perfect afr and whatever timing curve you would prefer.

SlowJoe
03-25-2011, 12:01 PM
Do you have a wide band?

TheJeanyus
03-25-2011, 12:22 PM
For some reason I just find that hard to believe. Seems like you could really dial in for a perfect afr and whatever timing curve you would prefer.
It might make 5-10 more hp, but you won't notice the difference at the track I don't think.

Control arms would be a better way to spend cash than a tuner at this point IMO.

QWKSNKE
03-25-2011, 12:59 PM

if a stock 5.0 was detuned from the factory then yeah you are right, but they weren't. Yeah you can change the timing curve but you did that when you adjusted base timing to 15 degrees. It does the same thing. Same thing is done when you mess around with the fuel pressure by bumping it up. That changes the a/f ratio because the fox EEC's do not have the ability to correct the a/f beyond a 'x' percent.

If you buy an aftermarket MAF then you would benefit from a tuner because all aftermarket MAF's require fine tuning to get the driviability back where it was in stock form.

5.0 pushrod cars are not like the 03-04 cobras and s197 mustangs where they are detuned from the factory and you can gain 30-40rwhp from a tune

BIGDATOWN
03-25-2011, 01:16 PM
No wideband, And I see what your saying qwk, A mass air is in the works also with a larger throttle body. And my factory bushings are shot, so new j&m control arms for the upper and lower are almost next on the list.

SlowJoe
03-25-2011, 02:10 PM
Wide band would be my first tuning tool!

BIGDATOWN
03-25-2011, 02:12 PM
I'm glad you brought that up to. If i purchase one do I just need one sensor or two? I would think one for each bank, but I am unsure what the average tuner does or needs.

SlowJoe
03-25-2011, 02:22 PM
I just had one in mine. But it was behind the X in the x pipe. I think one will do for your needs. I believe in a wide band!!! I will be hooking one up on my 87 f150 4x4 soon to tune it in.

BIGDATOWN
03-25-2011, 02:24 PM
I would assume you would just fine tune it with timing and fuel pressure? And do they offer a wide band that is set up for left and right bank just to be that much more accurate?

SlowJoe
03-25-2011, 02:36 PM
They have them anyway you want them.

SlowJoe
03-25-2011, 02:39 PM
:jester: but this was on a 02 gt with sct 3

http://www.streetstangs.net/showthread.php?t=13796

BIGDATOWN
03-25-2011, 03:11 PM
How would I dial in my afr if i have any trouble without a tuning program?

coupe
03-25-2011, 03:15 PM
How would I dial in my afr if i have any trouble without a tuning program?Adjustable MAF meters work pretty well, but they don't change the "MAF curve" which is really a requirement with alot of modifications. Your light amount of mods will probably not skew the A/F enough to make much difference. The O2 sensors should be able to keep up well enough. An adjustable fuel pressure regulator is a good idea anyway. :nice:

BIGDATOWN
03-25-2011, 03:45 PM
Any suggestions on a mass air thats affordable?

QWKSNKE
03-25-2011, 03:59 PM
No wideband, And I see what your saying qwk, A mass air is in the works also with a larger throttle body. And my factory bushings are shot, so new j&m control arms for the upper and lower are almost next on the list.

Without having a/market heads or intake, I don't think I would spend the money on a t/b. No hp gains will be seen

I'm glad you brought that up to. If i purchase one do I just need one sensor or two? I would think one for each bank, but I am unsure what the average tuner does or needs.

One w/band is all you need and install it on the left bank side of your midpipe. This would be the leanest bank in any situation. I would not run it all the time though. Just when you are dialing everything in

How would I dial in my afr if i have any trouble without a tuning program?

AFR for a stock engine is more less dialed from the OEM. Some engines like to be a little fatter with fuel and this can be easily done with an ajustable fuel press regulator or a higher volume intank fuel pump. While the injectors will compensate by shortening up the time they are open, the EEC can only compensate by a small margin. So if you jack up your WOT fuel press by, say, 3 pounds, the a/f ratio will fatten up because more fuel is shooting out the injectors.

The 2 best bang for your buck mods on 5.0 are heads or nitrous. The heads and intake on the 5.0 are HUGE bottlenecks for making power. Heads are costly though. Depending on how much money you wanna spend, here is what I would do......(in order)

*Adjustable fuel press regulator
*Advance timing and bump up fuel press, check plugs, wires, etc..
* 3.73 gears
*Converter and Baumann shift kit.
*Invest in some sticky tires for the track
* 75mm MAF (I wouldn't go any larger than this) No real performance gains but does open the intake tract some.

If that doesn't get you where you want, find a used Nitrous Express kit and jet it for a 100 shot.

QWKSNKE
03-25-2011, 04:02 PM
Any suggestions on a mass air thats affordable?

I think PMAS was the manufacturer of my last couple MAF meters.

BIGDATOWN
03-25-2011, 05:58 PM
So no to...headers,underdrive crank pulley,throttle body,electric fan,smog delete,1.72RR's? I will probably never be able to afford a huge chunk at a time enough to buy a good set of heads and intake. Best i'll ever be able to do is explorer stuff.

QWKSNKE
03-25-2011, 07:08 PM
So no to...headers,underdrive crank pulley,throttle body,electric fan,smog delete,1.72RR's? I will probably never be able to afford a huge chunk at a time enough to buy a good set of heads and intake. Best i'll ever be able to do is explorer stuff.

Combined the cost of all those items. That is $500 worth of stuff right there. Apply that $500 to the list I had in my earlier post. Those items in my earlier post will be more productive in ET reduction than any of the items you mentioned here.

Smog delete is a worthwhile mod since it is free. :D

Seriously as long as stock heads and intake are on the car, t/body, headers, RR's are really a waste of money and that money would be better suited elsewhere. I have NEVER had luck with electric fans. (and I have spent a shitload of $$$ on them) I always went back to the OEM clutch fan.

BIGDATOWN
03-25-2011, 07:13 PM
How important is that Adjustable FPR? And shift kit?

ncontt
03-28-2011, 04:26 PM
I would do the FPR for sure...super easy and relatively cheap, the shift kit is going to be a bit more involved!

BIGDATOWN
03-28-2011, 06:01 PM
As of right now my goal is getting my rearend rebuilt, and rear suspension. Then stall and shift kit then...motor mods. trying to go backwards to prevent from heartache lol