PDA

View Full Version : What is the difference in a SCT2 and a SCT3?

QWKSNKE
03-27-2011, 08:58 AM
Got a deal on a CAI and SCT2 and before I buy any tunes I am curious if I should sale it and by a SCT3

Dale McPeters
03-27-2011, 10:13 AM
Is it an X-Cal?

SlowJoe
03-27-2011, 12:37 PM
i think X3 has more options. and bugs fixed in data log.

EHardy1971
03-27-2011, 12:53 PM
I take it that it's unlocked Lee, but do you know how many tunes are left on it?
i think X3 has more options. and bugs fixed in data log.
:yup: And IIRC, you can send your X2 to SCT and have it re-programmed to X3 specs for about 100-$150 bucks (about the same price to get one unlocked). If you sell that X2 outright Lee, I may be interested in it for the Lightning if the price is right. :nice:

QWKSNKE
03-27-2011, 01:08 PM
Is it an X-Cal?

yes

I take it that it's unlocked Lee, but do you know how many tunes are left on it?

:

I am not sure if I am reading your question right. As far as I know there are no tunes loaded on it. So I should be able to buy some and load them up whenever I have the money. Right? Or is there a limitation how many times this can be done?

SlowJoe
03-27-2011, 01:11 PM
not sure on how many times you can do it.

01silver freak
03-27-2011, 01:27 PM
i think they have three unlocks

EHardy1971
03-27-2011, 01:42 PM
I am not sure if I am reading your question right. As far as I know there are no tunes loaded on it. So I should be able to buy some and load them up whenever I have the money. Right? Or is there a limitation how many times this can be done?
In the menu it should say whether it's locked or unlocked. If it's unlocked, it should have 3 tunes on it. If it has 3, you're good to go. If it has 2 or less, the vehicle that has the other tune on it has to be returned to stock, otherwise you won't be able to use it on any other vehicle because it's locked to that one vehicle's VIN. Once it's completely unlocked (back to 3 tune files) it can be used on any vehicle (as long as it's a Ford, etc that the tuner is designed for) you choose. As far as buying custom tunes from SCT, you can buy and download up to 3 IIRC. If the tuner is locked, you can send it to them (or probably have them e-mail you the unlock files) for a fee of $150 from what I've read over on Lightning rodder. I was thinking about buying a used and locked tuner over there awhile back (they usually go for about $75ish) and having it unlocked for the L.

SlowJoe
03-27-2011, 01:52 PM
And you can only change cars 5 times. my sct x3 only had one tune in it.

QWKSNKE
03-27-2011, 02:09 PM
In the menu it should say whether it's locked or unlocked. If it's unlocked, it should have 3 tunes on it. If it has 3, you're good to go. If it has 2 or less, the vehicle that has the other tune on it has to be returned to stock, otherwise you won't be able to use it on any other vehicle because it's locked to that one vehicle's VIN. Once it's completely unlocked (back to 3 tune files) it can be used on any vehicle (as long as it's a Ford, etc that the tuner is designed for) you choose. As far as buying custom tunes from SCT, you can buy and download up to 3 IIRC. If the tuner is locked, you can send it to them (or probably have them e-mail you the unlock files) for a fee of $150 from what I've read over on Lightning rodder. I was thinking about buying a used and locked tuner over there awhile back (they usually go for about $75ish) and having it unlocked for the L.

Yes it is suppose to be unlocked. I have to take the seller's word on it and will know for sure when I receive it.

Side note, I would NEVER consider buying a tune from SCT. Waste of money when you can buy from more reputable shops for the same price or less

SlowJoe
03-27-2011, 03:18 PM
Side note, I would NEVER consider buying a tune from SCT. Waste of money when you can buy from more reputable shops for the same price or less

+1 who are you thinking?

EHardy1971
03-27-2011, 07:16 PM
Yes it is suppose to be unlocked. I have to take the seller's word on it and will know for sure when I receive it.

:werd: And from the pic, it looks to have the three basic tune files, plus a custom tune. :nice:

EHardy1971
03-27-2011, 07:22 PM
And you can only change cars 5 times. my sct x3 only had one tune in it.
It's one tune, but 3 levels or stages from my understanding, which is why it's locked to one vehicle. It's one tune and the other two "tunes" or "stages" are files that are add ons to the original tune. Hence the reason it has to be returned to stock to be unlocked.

QWKSNKE
03-27-2011, 09:59 PM
:werd: And from the pic, it looks to have the three basic tune files, plus a custom tune. :nice:

No. Per the seller there are no tunes loaded on it. I believe it has been wiped clean.

The 'changes' reflect what Joe mentioned earlier in this tread where they can only be reprogrammed a maximum of 5 times. There are 4 opportunities left now. When I get the programs for my car, there will only be 3 left, etc..

EHardy1971
03-27-2011, 10:18 PM
No. Per the seller there are no tunes loaded on it. I believe it has been wiped clean.

The 'changes' reflect what Joe mentioned earlier in this tread where they can only be reprogrammed a maximum of 5 times. There are 4 opportunities left now. When I get the programs for my car, there will only be 3 left, etc..
Ok. He ordered it unlocked and cleared as opposed to ordering it with the 3 standard/generic tune files. That's the way you want to go if you're going to go with specific bolt ons and a custom tune/tunes, like if you want a N/A tune for the street and a nitrous tune for the track. LFP has that option (loaded or clear) on their SCT's in their stage 3 Lightning packages that I've been looking at.

QWKSNKE
03-28-2011, 08:33 AM
Ok. He ordered it unlocked and cleared as opposed to ordering it with the 3 standard/generic tune files. That's the way you want to go if you're going to go with specific bolt ons and a custom tune/tunes, like if you want a N/A tune for the street and a nitrous tune for the track. LFP has that option (loaded or clear) on their SCT's in their stage 3 Lightning packages that I've been looking at.

Seems to me that would be the best way to go. I have never heard of anyone using the stock SCT tunes so that would be a wasted change

SlowJoe
03-28-2011, 09:51 AM
I think all new sct's are sold through dealers/tuners now.

EHardy1971
03-28-2011, 10:40 AM
Seems to me that would be the best way to go. I have never heard of anyone using the stock SCT tunes so that would be a wasted change
Yeah, it seems like you would be leaving a lot on the table with a stock tune. But here's the one from LFP with the pre-loaded tunes
http://www.lightningforceperformance.com/SCT_Handheld_Power_Flash_Tuner_-_Preloaded_Tunes.html

and the blank one
http://www.lightningforceperformance.com/SCT_X3_Xcalibrator_Tuner_-_Blank_Tuners_(For_Custom_Tuning).html

...butseeing how LFP has been doing the L's for a long time, and people speak highly of their e-mail tunes, I *might* give them a shot.
I think all new sct's are sold through dealers/tuners now.
:yup: I don't think you can buy directly from SCT anymore.