PDA

View Full Version : Sn95 guys!! My fan doesn't work correctly

BIGDATOWN
04-12-2011, 08:19 AM
I have done everything I know to do. When you turn the a/c on, the fan will turn on to the low speed, other wise it will not run on by itself. When I unplug the sensor in the coolan rail, the fan turned on to the low setting then immediatly to the high speed bringing the temp down very quickly. I waited for the temp to get all the way to the A before I made the fan come on. Within a min it was all the way down the N. This car has a brand new radiator and a 160 stat in it. Please help me figure this out!

QWKSNKE
04-12-2011, 10:06 AM
Have you already replaced the controller that is mounted close to the radiator?

BIGDATOWN
04-12-2011, 10:19 AM
That I have not replaced. I am told it has three relays in it, but i'm not sure at all if they are replaceable.

QWKSNKE
04-12-2011, 05:19 PM
That I have not replaced. I am told it has three relays in it, but i'm not sure at all if they are replaceable.

no. you replace the whole assy

BIGDATOWN
04-12-2011, 05:24 PM
I called jim skinner and my price on it is 160 ish. So if I cant make for sure its bad, then I will just wire up this controller I bought. For some reason I have a slight suspision that once I change the temp in the computer with the quarter horse that it will start working again. Until then I just unplugged the ect and the fan runs constantly on high

EHardy1971
04-12-2011, 06:21 PM
That 160* T-stat might have something to do with it. Try a 180* and see if that cures the problem. Besides that, running too cool of a T-stat can lead to other problems as well. If it turns out to be the CCRM (constant control relay module), wait on buying a new one, I think I have one out in my shop.:nice:

BIGDATOWN
04-12-2011, 07:29 PM
That would be awesome eric. I am waiting to find the best deal on a quarter horse before I buy one. But when I get it I will program the computer for the 160 stat to help with the richness of running so cold and also change what temp the fan turns on high and low speed

93cobra1928
04-12-2011, 07:55 PM
Why do you want to run it that cold? It sounds like you are wanting to tune around an issue that you are creating.

QWKSNKE
04-12-2011, 08:11 PM
I called jim skinner and my price on it is 160 ish. So if I cant make for sure its bad, then I will just wire up this controller I bought. For some reason I have a slight suspision that once I change the temp in the computer with the quarter horse that it will start working again. Until then I just unplugged the ect and the fan runs constantly on high

Don't go through a dealer. Check with your local parts store.

And I agree with the others 160 is to cool of a thermostat. Need to stick with a 180. You might burn your fan up trying to keep a car that cool during the summer and the heater will struggle on cold days to keep the car warm. I have seen people try to run a 160 thermostat during the summer and have overheating problems because the thermostat would never close, which will not allow coolant to stay in the radiator long enough to cool down.

BIGDATOWN
04-12-2011, 08:14 PM
Ok I will try to change out the stat for a 180 and see what happens I guess

QWKSNKE
04-12-2011, 08:17 PM
the 160 stat was already in the car. And even with that low of a stat I can still control what temp it runs at with tuning of the fans. It just guarentees the stat will always be open. IF i can make the fans turn on with a lighter on the sensor than I will more than likely put a 180 in it, but the fans will still NOT turn on till it hits a ceratin temp either way.

yeah, typically fans will not kick on until 210+ degrees in a OEM setup and then turn off around 180-190 degrees.

BIGDATOWN
04-12-2011, 08:19 PM
Typically, at what position on the stock gauge is 210 degrees?

BIGDATOWN
04-12-2011, 08:21 PM
I let the gauge touch the L before I manually made the fan cool it down. I really hope the gauge is not that far off.

EHardy1971
04-12-2011, 08:26 PM
Don't go through a dealer. Check with your local parts store.

And I agree with the others 160 is to cool of a thermostat. Need to stick with a 180. You might burn your fan up trying to keep a car that cool during the summer and the heater will struggle on cold days to keep the car warm. I have seen people try to run a 160 thermostat during the summer and have overheating problems because the thermostat would never close, which will not allow coolant to stay in the radiator long enough to cool down.
:werd: Not to mention, you'll freeze your ass off in the winter with a 160* in there. Mine just barely gets warm enough with a 180*, a 3 row radiator, and an electric fan.

grabbinandstabbin
04-12-2011, 09:33 PM
the factory thermostat is a 217. the factory injection is designed to run at close to that temp. it sounds like the ccrm or the fan switch is going out. unless you are running aluminum heads there is no reason to run a colder thermostat IMO. hope this helps

BIGDATOWN
04-13-2011, 07:41 AM
I think I am fixing to invest in some aftermarket guages just to know the correct temp all the time!

93cobra1928
04-13-2011, 09:58 AM
I think I am fixing to invest in some aftermarket guages just to know the correct temp all the time!

Wise choice. It will be money well spent.

BIGDATOWN
04-13-2011, 11:44 AM
of course water temp is important. What else should I get?

grabbinandstabbin
04-13-2011, 12:51 PM
oil pressure gauge