PDA

View Full Version : What intake to run on a DSS 308?

H8IMPORTS
01-12-2012, 03:17 PM
I have a DSS 308 (level 1) in my coupe. It has a X303 cam, Windsor J/r heads and right now a Explorer intake. I want a good all around intake but would like it to pull harder on top side. I have a Victor 5.0 and a Spyder intake at the house and was wanting to know if they might be better. I have someone wanting to buy the Explorer Intake and so I thought about selling it and using another one on my car. I dynoed my car and it only put 276 to the tires which to me is low but it was way to rich! So I also thought if I had a better flowing intake it would lean it up and hope it make more power that way as well. Later on I'm going turbo but for now it's a N/a car with a 125 shot. The car is 99% always on the motor though. (Nitrous is getting to expensive hince why I'm going turbo lol)

yellowSVT
01-12-2012, 06:01 PM
i have a bbk with fuel rails and amm hardware and gaskets nib....

BIGDATOWN
01-12-2012, 06:40 PM
I would say the victor 5.0 would do better than the spyder intake IMO

QWKSNKE
01-12-2012, 07:29 PM
I would say the victor 5.0 would do better than the spyder intake IMO

+1....

03slobra
01-12-2012, 07:36 PM
go with the victor or trade me the victor for my edelbrock rpm2 which would be perfect for what you got

H8IMPORTS
01-13-2012, 06:26 AM
Thanks but I dont want to buy any intakes right now and 03slobra I might do that if my intake wasn't show polished. I like the RPM 2's. I don't care for the regular RPM's. Lol.

So I guess my next question would be if the victor 5.0 will fit under the stock hood?

03slobra
01-13-2012, 11:52 AM
Yea it should

H8IMPORTS
01-14-2012, 09:00 PM
Thanks. Hope so. I will find out. Lol.

gearbanger
01-15-2012, 09:02 AM
My buddy had a Victor 5.0 intake and it worked very well. His car ran high 7's in the 1/8th N/A and 6'20's when boosted.

H8IMPORTS
01-17-2012, 09:41 AM
Can someone clean my thread up? :kungfu: Thanks

Also what about a Trick Flow Race intake. It's not the box upper its the race intake. I have one on my 91 GT I can take off and run on my coupe. I can run the Spyder intake on the GT. The GT is fixing to get a 200 shot so I don't think it will lose any down low from the Spyder intake. lol So would the Trick Flow Race be better than the Victor?

coupe
01-18-2012, 09:14 AM
I think the runners are a little longer, which would probably be beneficial to the 308 cubic inches. I'd try the trick flow. Use the Victor 5.0 on a 347+ or if you're gonna turn the 308 to 7500-8000.

waypastcrazy
01-23-2012, 04:26 PM
I think the runners are a little longer, which would probably be beneficial to the 308 cubic inches. I'd try the trick flow. Use the Victor 5.0 on a 347+ or if you're gonna turn the 308 to 7500-8000.I am not familiar with the efi stuff but I would think longer runners would add more torque down low and it would add a few more rpm to the power band. Is this correct or am i guessing again?lol

QWKSNKE
01-24-2012, 06:41 AM
Shorter the runner, the higher the rpm range

waypastcrazy
01-24-2012, 07:20 AM
Shorter the runner, the higher the rpm range Thinking I didnt ask that correctly. What I was trying to ask was longer would start the power band earlier widenening the rpm range.
adding a few more working rpm from beginning to end. like say 1000 to 5500 instead of 3500 to 7000 which would be a 1000 rpm added to the width (band).
is this correct?

H8IMPORTS
01-24-2012, 08:18 AM
What is everybody's thoughts on the Spyder Intake? I know the single plane intakes work well on Carb cars so it seems that it should work on EFI cars as well. I really want a top end car. IF I do any racing it's mostly top end runs on the Interstate in Mexico. I plan to pull the Trick Flow off my GT car and I may put a Edelbrock Preformer on there and get the car ready to sell. So I will have the Trick Flow R series, Victor 5.0 and the Spyder. I may still go with the R series. Guess I want to know the pros and cons. lol

Thanks

coupe
01-25-2012, 08:25 AM
If you really want a top-end car, you might consider more cam than what you have. The X-303 cam is decent, but it's probably not going to pull any farther than 6500, and that would be with some pretty good springs and better than stock lifters. Also, the windsor jr heads leave something to be desired, especially in stock form...are they worked at all? Heads and cam are the key to a top-end car.

The spyder is easy to install and remove, so it would definitely be worth a try...but I would get a cam from Ed Curtis asap. :nice:

QWKSNKE
01-25-2012, 08:44 AM
If you really want a top-end car, you might consider more cam than what you have. The X-303 cam is decent, but it's probably not going to pull any farther than 6500, and that would be with some pretty good springs and better than stock lifters. Also, the windsor jr heads leave something to be desired, especially in stock form...are they worked at all? Heads and cam are the key to a top-end car.

:

+1.................

QWKSNKE
01-25-2012, 08:46 AM
Thinking I didnt ask that correctly. What I was trying to ask was longer would start the power band earlier widenening the rpm range.
adding a few more working rpm from beginning to end. like say 1000 to 5500 instead of 3500 to 7000 which would be a 1000 rpm added to the width (band).
is this correct?

I wouldn't say widening the rpm range. Just puts it in a different spot.

jonosranger
01-25-2012, 09:36 AM
If he still has the stock rev limiter then changing cams is a waste. cause the x pulls to about 6500 as coupe said but the stock rev limiter is set at 6250. I had the x cam in my other car and loved it. Since i have changed to the Steeda 19 i hate it. The car dont pull nowhere near as hard. im goin to change it as soon as i find a good cam.

waypastcrazy
01-25-2012, 10:04 AM
I wouldn't say widening the rpm range. Just puts it in a different spot.
Ok thx.I really need to catch up on the efi intakes.Maybe look at some similar setups with dif intakes on dyno graphs to get me a visual on how they react.

H8IMPORTS
01-25-2012, 11:01 AM

The spyder is easy to install and remove, so it would definitely be worth a try...but I would get a cam from Ed Curtis asap. :nice:

I know my heads need to be bigger. I bought the complete motor and trans in a running car for 1500. Sold the body and int for a 1000.00. So I basicly only have 250.00 in a DSS 308, X303 cam, Windsor j/r heads and 250 in a T5 trans for my wifes car. lol I basiclly want a car as far as I can get it for what little money I have. (just like everybody else) The heads are one ones I have and don't have money for more and can't afford to get them ported right now. So all I can do now is just swap intakes. I plan on selling my race car and my GT car so I can put more money in this car and then I can go with better heads or port mine. But I agree I need better heads just can't afford them right now.

If he still has the stock rev limiter then changing cams is a waste. cause the x pulls to about 6500 as coupe said but the stock rev limiter is set at 6250. I had the x cam in my other car and loved it. Since i have changed to the Steeda 19 i hate it. The car dont pull nowhere near as hard. im goin to change it as soon as i find a good cam.

Thats good to know. I have a F303 I thought about putting in here but haven't yet. My old blue coupe had a F303 in it and I loved it but of course I had Edelbrock performers on it with a little 306.

jonosranger
01-25-2012, 11:35 AM
just did a friend of mines car. it was 331 with windsor jrs and cobra intake with x cam. it pulled really strong after cam change.(had steeda 19 in it). My old setup was stock bottom end 302, Edelbrock performers, X cam, Cobra intake, pullies, Long tubes, with Built AOD with 4000 stall, and 4.10 gear run 7.93 on motor in a 79 lx gutted on a 17" radial.

QWKSNKE
01-25-2012, 03:00 PM
I know my heads need to be bigger. I bought the complete motor and trans in a running car for 1500. Sold the body and int for a 1000.00. So I basicly only have 250.00 in a DSS 308, X303 cam, Windsor j/r heads and 250 in a T5 trans for my wifes car. lol I basiclly want a car as far as I can get it for what little money I have. (just like everybody else) The heads are one ones I have and don't have money for more and can't afford to get them ported right now. So all I can do now is just swap intakes. I plan on selling my race car and my GT car so I can put more money in this car and then I can go with better heads or port mine. But I agree I need better heads just can't afford them right now.

Thats good to know. I have a F303 I thought about putting in here but haven't yet. My old blue coupe had a F303 in it and I loved it but of course I had Edelbrock performers on it with a little 306.

The point that coupe and I both are making is... Use the intake that is more suited to the rpm range of your cam and heads. It really would be foolish to put a short runner intake on those heads and cam because you are losing potiential power at a lower rpm and gaining nothing where the rpm is best at You definitely want an intake with longer runners than what the victor offers with the current setup

H8IMPORTS
01-25-2012, 03:22 PM
The point that coupe and I both are making is... Use the intake that is more suited to the rpm range of your cam and heads. It really would be foolish to put a short runner intake on those heads and cam because you are losing potiential power at a lower rpm and gaining nothing where the rpm is best at You definitely want an intake with longer runners than what the victor offers with the current setup

Ok well I guess I will go with the Trick Flow. Thanks.

waypastcrazy
01-26-2012, 06:10 PM
Ok well I guess I will go with the Trick Flow. Thanks.

Good choice.
Matt and Lee know what they are talking about on that efi stuff.