PDA

View Full Version : 93 update

QWKSNKE
04-12-2005, 09:47 PM
Got the #4 piston and new ring installed tonight. Also got the heads torqued down, valves adjusted, crankshaft, timing chain, all bearings, main girdle, stud girdle, headers, oil pump, and oil pickup installed.

Tomorrow night's plans are for the intake, oil pan, and timing cover/water pump to be installed. Thursday night the motor will get put in the car :banana:

asilver2001gt
04-12-2005, 09:51 PM
damn you were working your ass off after i got off the phone with you

QWKSNKE
04-12-2005, 09:56 PM
Brian assisted as well :nice:

Italian LX
04-12-2005, 10:29 PM
Brian assisted as well :nice:
:yup:

This is kind of fun. . . close deadlines make it even more interesting. :evil:

Scothew
04-13-2005, 12:22 AM
told ya the :meth: worked to get brian working :)

Shorty
04-13-2005, 02:28 AM
good to hear it is progressing well. :nice:

EZ SPEED
04-13-2005, 03:58 AM
:nice:

natedawgg94
04-13-2005, 04:57 AM
:banana: :popcorn: i hear ya lee

Wall96cobra
04-13-2005, 05:17 AM
:banana: :popcorn: i hear ya lee

Hey you need to get back to work! :jester:

ChipR4cam
04-13-2005, 05:32 AM
Awesome.:banana:

svopaul
04-13-2005, 07:05 AM

This is kind of fun. . . close deadlines make it even more interesting. :evil:

The first one...yes....they get less interesting the more they happen ;) :jester: My problem is always lack of time so it gets pushed back to the deadline...

Sounds like everything is going well...you'll make it just fine :chug:

Craig K.
04-13-2005, 07:42 AM
Sounds great Lee! Just remember to double and triple check everything, don't want to overlook something simple just because your in a hurry

QWKSNKE
04-13-2005, 07:58 AM
I did..trust me.

Got familiar with the plastigauge as well. That crap isn't anything like I thought it was going to be

coupe
04-13-2005, 08:34 AM
Yea. Sucks. But it's a necessary evil.

You attempting true-street in Commerce?

Italian LX
04-13-2005, 08:43 AM
I did..trust me.
:werd:

Actually, the atmosphere is more relaxed than you would think. It's not like were balls-to-the-wall bustin' ass to get it done. :nice:

Italian LX
04-13-2005, 08:44 AM
Ummm.. . yeah. That is why were are pushing to get it running by Thursday.

QWKSNKE
04-13-2005, 09:14 AM

Actually, the atmosphere is more relaxed than you would think. It's not like were balls-to-the-wall bustin' ass to get it done. :nice:

Didn't really bust ass. Everything just flowed well

QWKSNKE
04-13-2005, 09:15 AM

not attempting. going to :nice:

Italian LX
04-13-2005, 09:39 AM
not attempting. going to :nice:
That's the spirit. :nice:

natedawgg94
04-13-2005, 10:53 AM
yeah lee you'll have a awesome week you get everything together and tuned then win in commerce that'd be sweeeeeeeeet. :banana: :metal:

natedawgg94
04-13-2005, 10:55 AM
hey you goin to ffw to?????

Wicked
04-13-2005, 02:31 PM
Yea. Sucks. But it's a necessary evil.

Where has he been?

J/K :jester: :jester:

And good luck Lee.

NightHawk756
04-13-2005, 05:01 PM
yeah lee you'll have a awesome week you get everything together and tuned then win in commerce that'd be sweeeeeeeeet. :banana: :metal:Win?? In True Street?? Not much winning to do in True Street unless you have a 9 second twin turbo car. :rolleyes: Other than the several et bracket winners. ;)

Italian LX
04-13-2005, 05:49 PM
Win??. . . Other than the several et bracket winners. ;)
I don't know about anyone else, but I would consider that winning. :shrug:

natedawgg94
04-13-2005, 06:02 PM
personally i'd consider bringing everything home in 1 piece winning myself

NightHawk756
04-13-2005, 10:05 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but I would consider that winning. :shrug:Alright there Captain Obvious! I have never considered the et brackets as really winning. You get a sticker and make about $40 after you deduct your entry fee from the $100. "Winning" True Street is taking home the trophy for fastest overall average. And the point I was making with my post was the fact that in a "street" class, it's rediculous that you have to own a 9 second car to be competetive for the top honors. Hence the :rolleyes: smiley. ;)

Italian LX
04-13-2005, 11:24 PM
"Winning" True Street is taking home the trophy for fastest overall average...
Well, then technically the only true winner would be whomever is at the top of the points standings at the end of the season. :P

QWKSNKE
04-14-2005, 05:00 AM
who gives a crap about winning. I just go to have a good time :nice: (I did win a clas my first year though $100+$100 gift certificate to comp cams)

oh yeah.. motor is ready to go in the car now :banana:

Italian LX
04-14-2005, 05:08 AM
oh yeah.. motor is ready to go in the car now :banana:
. . . and in true QWKSNKE fashion, it is already missing a valve cover bolt. :doh:

:D

natedawgg94
04-14-2005, 05:23 AM
is it goin to be running and in the car tonight

Wickd GT
04-14-2005, 05:42 AM
. . . and in true QWKSNKE fashion, it is already missing a valve cover bolt. :doh:

Brian, if you put new valve cover gaskets, you need to keep checking the bolts after you tighten them up. What I do is put a bit of rtv on the threads and put the bolts, then after about 15 minutes go again, you'l see they will be loose, once you tighten them again, cranck the motor and let it get warm. Let it cool off and retigthen them again.

Edgar

My car is ready, oil change and filter, new spark plugs, tranny blanket is on, fender modifications done, checked timing, the bars from the plate had a bunch of teflon tape sticking out the bars??? It took me Sunday about 3 hrs to clean it, check the solenoids, clean the carb, then wash it and wax it on Tuesday. Ready to be loaded Friday morning. Lets see if it will run, been having problems, don't know why car slow down, the only thing I can think is that the slicks could not grow because they were rubbing inside, at the inner front of the fender closer to the torque boxes. Will see. See you guys up there.

Edgar

ChipR4cam
04-14-2005, 05:43 AM
It's not really crazy that you have to have a 9 second car to win in a street class. It's crazy that you have to have a mid eight second car to win some true street events.

QWKSNKE
04-14-2005, 06:43 AM
It's not really crazy that you have to have a 9 second car to win in a street class. It's crazy that you have to have a mid eight second car to win some true street events.

I agree. There are a ton of high 9 second street cars in the larger cities

Italian LX
04-14-2005, 07:36 AM
Brian, if you put new valve cover gaskets, you need to keep checking the bolts after you tighten them up. . .
Lee is still running his stock gaskets. Although, I'm pretty sure it was lost sometime since the disassembly. My comment was just a joke since I don't think I've ever known Lee to have all 12 valve cover bolts on his Mustangs.

. . . except for when we first built this motor -- and that's only because I had bought all new bolt for them. ;)

svopaul
04-14-2005, 07:48 AM
Brian, if you put new valve cover gaskets, you need to keep checking the bolts after you tighten them up. What I do is put a bit of rtv on the threads and put the bolts, then after about 15 minutes go again, you'l see they will be loose, once you tighten them again, cranck the motor and let it get warm. Let it cool off and retigthen them again.

Edgar

Edgar, I don't agree here.....if you are using Cork gaskets then I would agree with your statement above but in 1992 Ford went to a steel O-ring gasket that is reusable and once tightened I have never seen bolts get loose using these gaskets. Being that Lee's car is a 93 he would have the steel Oring gaskets....I always upgrade all my engines to these if they did not come with them...reusable and makes removing a valve cover cake work if necessary since you don't have to do anything but toss it back on and tighten it up.

Wickd GT
04-14-2005, 08:04 AM
Edgar, I don't agree here.....if you are using Cork gaskets then I would agree with your statement above but in 1992 Ford went to a steel O-ring gasket that is reusable and once tightened I have never seen bolts get loose using these gaskets. Being that Lee's car is a 93 he would have the steel Oring gaskets....I always upgrade all my engines to these if they did not come with them...reusable and makes removing a valve cover cake work if necessary since you don't have to do anything but toss it back on and tighten it up.

I used them before, but I always lost my bolts, plus they leak on me, but that is because I have the engine sealed, for the vacum pump, that is one of the reasons I use the corke ones.

Edgar

coupe
04-14-2005, 08:09 AM
:werd: on the o-ring gaskets...Felpro has a steel o-ring gasket too. On another note: I bought some stainless phillips-head screws (1/4 x 20 thread) which I use for my valve covers...makes it so nice to just use a screwdriver. & they look pretty good being stainless. :nice:

NightHawk756
04-14-2005, 08:10 AM
Yes, I had actually forgot that there are some high 8 second cars in true street. I was referring to the sub 9 second cars.

My whole point was that it's getting a little rediculous. And the fact that even FFW has made comments on their concerns and Campisano, I think it was that spear headed the class. They started the class for those everyday cars to have a class that's fun and they could be competetive. Not for cars that have 30-40,000 dollars in mods that are basically race cars. But, it's their own fault. They didn't structure the rules in a fashion to keep it from happening.

They succeeded in one thing, it's still the most fun class out there. Just not very competetive for top honors. ;)

QWKSNKE
04-14-2005, 08:11 AM
Lee is still running his stock gaskets. Although, I'm pretty sure it was lost sometime since the disassembly. My comment was just a joke since I don't think I've ever known Lee to have all 12 valve cover bolts on his Mustangs.

. . . except for when we first built this motor -- and that's only because I had bought all new bolt for them. ;)

I have never lost a valve cover bolt from the engine running. Mine get lost because they fall and mysterioulsy dissappear in the k-member when I remove the valve cover for any type of work.

Italian LX
04-14-2005, 08:14 AM
. . . in 1992 Ford went to a steel O-ring gasket that is reusable. . .
Not sure when they actually made the switch to these type gaskets, but my '91 GT had them. They may have chaged mid-year in 1991 and mine got them because it was built in August.

. . .steel Oring gaskets....reusable and makes removing a valve cover cake work if necessary since you don't have to do anything but toss it back on and tighten it up.
:werd: x1,000,000

The best gasket ever! Not only are they reusable and require very little prep work, but they work really well. I would recommend them to anyone that purchases new valve cover gaskets. :nice:

NightHawk756
04-14-2005, 08:54 AM
I used them before, but I always lost my bolts, plus they leak on me, but that is because I have the engine sealed, for the vacum pump, that is one of the reasons I use the corke ones.

Edgar

I don't know what valve covers you run but that could explain it.....the Oring gaskets don't work with every valve cover. I've never had that trouble with them though :shrug:

DOH! Brad left his login on....this is svopaul ;)

Italian LX
04-14-2005, 09:49 AM
DOH! Brad left his login on....this is svopaul ;)
:hmm:. . . :evil:

svopaul
04-14-2005, 10:42 AM
:hmm:. . . :evil:

Sorry, can't do that to him...he would have equal chance to return the favor.

Scothew
04-14-2005, 11:01 AM
Sorry, can't do that to him...he would have equal chance to return the favor.

You did it to me!!!!

svopaul
04-14-2005, 11:22 AM
You did it to me!!!!

Come on...how many chances in a lifetime does one get to be logged in as admin? :D

Besides...we have a gentlemens agreement....You are still fair game :poke: :jester:

Scothew
04-14-2005, 11:29 AM
You just wont mess with him because he has a ticket book.

93Cobra#2771
04-14-2005, 12:01 PM

I have never lost a valve cover bolt from the engine running. Mine get lost because they fall and mysterioulsy dissappear in the k-member when I remove the valve cover for any type of work.

Anytime I EVER drop any nut or bolt when working on my car, that's the first freaking place I look, and it is ALWAYS there.

Italian LX
04-14-2005, 12:11 PM
Anytime I EVER drop any nut or bolt when working on my car, that's the first freaking place I look, and it is ALWAYS there.

I would say 95% of the time whatever is dropped, lands on the K-member. It's kind of good because you know exactly where to look.... I don't what I'd do if I ever got a tubular k-member. :huh:

svopaul
04-14-2005, 12:14 PM

I would say 95% of the time whatever is dropped, lands on the K-member. It's kind of good because you know exactly where to look.... I don't what I'd do if I ever got a tubular k-member. :huh:

Look on the ground :shrug: :poke: :jester:

svopaul
04-14-2005, 12:16 PM
You just wont mess with him because he has a ticket book.

I aint skeered of no stinkin ticket book.....but he has more opportunity than you to return the favor if I did post something....it's a mutual non-messing-with deal.

You just want to try to :poke: me to do something....to quote Bush Sr.....not gonna do it... :metal:

QWKSNKE
04-14-2005, 12:16 PM

I would say 95% of the time whatever is dropped, lands on the K-member. It's kind of good because you know exactly where to look....:D

It sucks because 50% of the time the little bolts end up in the hollow area of the k-member and you can't stick your hand in it to get it back out.

svopaul
04-14-2005, 12:17 PM
It sucks because 50% of the time the little bolts end up in the hollow area of the k-member and you can't stick your hand in it to get it back out.

I gave you the chance to go with a tubular K member :poke: :jester:

Italian LX
04-14-2005, 12:26 PM
Look on the ground :shrug: :poke: :jester:
Yeah, but everytime something hits the concrete floor, it deflect off somewhere before you can get down and see where it is going. Then you spend the next 15 minutes looking everywhere under and around your car. I've found sockets over 20 feet away from my car after they hit the ground. The worst is when the dropped item wedges itself under a nearby tool, box, tire, etc. :notnice:

93Cobra#2771
04-14-2005, 01:00 PM
Yeah, but everytime something hits the concrete floor, it deflect off somewhere before you can get down and see where it is going. Then you spend the next 15 minutes looking everywhere under and around your car. I've found sockets over 20 feet away from my car after they hit the ground. The worst is when the dropped item wedges itself under a nearby tool, box, tire, etc. :notnice:

Scothew
04-14-2005, 01:03 PM
hmm ideas of some sort of chemical resistant non bounce mat to slide under the front of the car when working on things like this would be a good product.

Italian LX
04-14-2005, 01:23 PM
hmm ideas of some sort of chemical resistant non bounce mat to slide under the front of the car when working on things like this would be a good product.
. . . or maybe get Ford to start making their K-members with magnetized "tray" areas so it will catch 100% of the tools you drop and add access panels in the hollow areas for easy parts-retreival. :D

QWKSNKE
04-14-2005, 01:26 PM
I gave you the chance to go with a tubular K member :poke: :jester:

Don't think I haven't considered coming and getting it today before I put the motor in tonight....

But I don't have enough time to install it or money

svopaul
04-14-2005, 01:40 PM
Don't think I haven't considered coming and getting it today before I put the motor in tonight....

But I don't have enough time to install it or money

Time? We're talking a few bolts and you already have the labor there.....Money...we can work that out.

I just hate for you to miss a perfect chance to do the swap if you plan to down the road anyway ;)

....not like I'm trying to twist your arm but you know how snowballing projects get anyway :metal:

QWKSNKE
04-15-2005, 05:33 AM
Car is back together. Finished up around 5:30 this morning. Now the OEM starter has finally went out. :fuss:

I am hoping my buddy that owns the shop where the car is at will be able to put a starter on it while I am in the bed recharging after staying up all night. If not, then I will be a little late leaving today for FFW.

banditmwp
04-15-2005, 05:50 AM
Car is back together. Finished up around 5:30 this morning. Now the OEM starter has finally went out. :fuss:

:banghead:

EZ SPEED
04-15-2005, 06:53 AM

I am hoping my buddy that owns the shop where the car is at will be able to put a starter on it while I am in the bed recharging after staying up all night. If not, then I will be a little late leaving today for FFW.

Damn, great time for the starter to go out......well it could have been worse and went out during the true street cruise.
The factory stater on my 93L went out with 205,000 miles on it ;)

joker
04-15-2005, 06:56 AM
Damn, great time for the starter to go out......well it could have been worse and went out during the true street cruise.
The factory stater on my 93L went out with 205,000 miles on it ;)
:werd: I can just see Lee, Brian, and wall push starting the car going into the staging lane

natedawgg94
04-15-2005, 07:19 AM
Yeah a push start would be something to see :metal: Lee dont look like I'm going to make it to ffw this weekend my dads got to work tommorrow and so do I so luck and hope everything stays together :chug:

svopaul
04-15-2005, 07:27 AM

That sucks!!! But glad you got it finished up. Have fun!

and if you feel tired just stab the throttle...that should wake you up :D

NightHawk756
04-15-2005, 09:01 AM
Congrats Lee! :chug:

Good luck at FFW!! Have fun! ;)

EZ SPEED
04-15-2005, 09:45 AM
:werd: I can just see Lee, Brian, and wall push starting the car going into the staging lane

Wouldnt be the first time....I think we have done that before :shrug:

Scothew
04-15-2005, 09:47 AM
So how much caffeine was injested between 5pm yesterday and 5:30 am this morning???

Congrats on getting it all back together guys :)

TheJeanyus
04-15-2005, 11:01 AM
:chug: Can't wait to see it tearing up the track tomorrow! :burnout:

NightHawk756
04-15-2005, 08:38 PM
:werd: I can just see Lee, Brian, and wall push starting the car going into the staging laneThe only kicker with that would be, the rules don't allow it. The car has to start on it's on. So I'm waaaaaay glad it happened before going. That would have sucked!! :yup:

Italian LX
04-15-2005, 11:17 PM
The only kicker with that would be, the rules don't allow it. The car has to start on it's on. So I'm waaaaaay glad it happened before going. That would have sucked!! :yup:
Yeah, I already experienced my clutch cable taking a dumb on me last year right after the cruise... it definitely would suck to have another one of our cars go out this year for some stupid shit.

Anyway, the starter was fine... I believe Alan told Lee there was a wire loose on the starter itself. We had put it up on the rack right before we called it quits, but it seemed like all the wires on correctly. Oh well, I guess after working on the car till 5:30am, your judgement may be a little off -- I hope that's the only thing we missed. :huh:

On a good note, Chip drove the car all the way to Commerce tonight and it did fine.... aside from blowing a pipe off during one WOT run and running pig rich during the rest of the runs he did. Well, at least we know it's a safe tune. :D

QWKSNKE
04-15-2005, 11:19 PM
yay..we made it :banana:

TheJeanyus
04-18-2005, 06:00 PM
:chug: Can't wait to see it tearing up the track tomorrow! :burnout:
Glad to see it tear up the track instead of tear up on the track. You guys did a great job. :chug:

Italian LX
04-18-2005, 06:18 PM
You guys did a great job. :chug:
Thanks. :nice:

. . . now we have to work on it's fuel economy. :D

TheJeanyus
04-18-2005, 06:19 PM

[Track Announcer]Lots of smoke! Lots of smoke![/Track Announcer]

Italian LX
04-18-2005, 06:40 PM

[Track Announcer]Lots of smoke! Lots of smoke![/Track Announcer]
:rofl:

Did Matt ever confirm if he got the announcer's voice on the video? :shrug:

banditmwp
04-18-2005, 08:23 PM

Did Matt ever confirm if he got the announcer's voice on the video? :shrug:
Matt hasn't done shit since he got home. Pulling vids tomorrow night. :chug:

QWKSNKE
04-18-2005, 08:26 PM

yeah. 200 miles to almost a tank of gas on the interstate is not to good

Italian LX
04-18-2005, 08:28 PM
yeah. 200 miles to almost a tank of gas on the interstate is not to good
I was actually refering to all the fuel you were dumping at the top of the track. :D

banditmwp
04-18-2005, 08:34 PM
I was actually refering to all the fuel you were dumping at the top of the track. :D

The "street sweeper" has now become the "mosquito sprayer".

Italian LX
04-18-2005, 08:46 PM

The "street sweeper" has now become the "mosquito sprayer".

:lol:

. . . It's called DSP multi-tasking. ;)

banditmwp
04-18-2005, 08:48 PM
:lol:

. . . It's called DSP multi-tasking. ;)

:hmm:

Business opportunity?

COMING SOON TO A CITY NEAR YOU!!

boosted23L
04-18-2005, 08:52 PM

you noticed that too???? :P

Ponygirl
04-18-2005, 09:10 PM
According to the announcer...it was just from the nitrous. :rofl:

Italian LX
04-18-2005, 09:27 PM
Well, considering the last pass of T/S, he was right next to me around the 800' mark -- of course I noticed it. ;)

. . . not to mention seeing Chip's tail lights disappear on I-85 Friday night.

ChipR4cam
04-19-2005, 06:37 AM
Well, considering the last pass of T/S, he was right next to me around the 800' mark -- of course I noticed it. ;)

. . . not to mention seeing Chip's tail lights disappear on I-85 Friday night.

:yup: The smoke screen.

I think that's how Lee went a few rounds in the brackets. :D

Italian LX
04-19-2005, 07:01 AM
I think that's how Lee went a few rounds in the brackets. :D

The other guys thought he was spraying the track with oil, so they let off. :evil:

93Cobra#2771
04-20-2005, 07:46 AM

I'd rather see a lot of fuel smoke than freakin' antifreeze smoke any day of the week. Kudos for getting a nice rich tune on it for now... :D