PDA

View Full Version : Washing a car or bike with...laundry detergent?

TheJeanyus
03-20-2012, 10:11 AM
A guy at work told me he tried using laundry detergent after reading about how great it worked, and he was really happy with the results. Sounds weird to me, but here's what he did:

1. Pour 1 "capful" of Tide or similar liquid detergent in an empty spray bottle (he used a Windex bottle) and fill with water.
2. Shake it up to mix.
3. Spray it on, spraying heavily in areas with caked on dirt, bugs, whatever.
4. Drink beer for 20 minutes or so until it dries.
5. Rinse it off with the hose.

He said it's supposed to be especially good for the inside of wheel wells, too. He tried it on one of his Harleys and is going to try it on his F150 next. Anyone here tried it? Seems to me that if it removes bugs and other stuff that's "stuck" on, it would probably remove decals as well?

EHardy1971
03-20-2012, 10:20 AM
Step 4 sounds good :jester:. I don't know about using Tide though, and letting it dry. It seems like it would leave that chalky white residue on it to me. As a preventitive measure under wheel wells and fenders, CD-2 engine detailer works great. I use it on the Lightning on the engine of course, and under the wheel wells. It leaves a shiny, wet looking barrier and allows dirt and road grime to be rinsed off fairly easy. You can get it at Vatozone for about $6 a can.

http://www.detailingtricks.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/cd2_engine_detailer_12oz.jpg

QWKSNKE
03-20-2012, 10:43 AM
Yeah we used tide on the cars when I was growing up. Knowing what I know today, I don't recommend it on painted surfaces unless you plan to wax afterwards. It acts as a degreaser and can strip all of the oils from the paint

1Quik85GT
03-20-2012, 09:44 PM
Yeah we used tide on the cars when I was growing up. Knowing what I know today, I don't recommend it on painted surfaces unless you plan to wax afterwards. It acts as a degreaser and can strip all of the oils from the paint

very very on point Lee...

qkjuicedpony
03-21-2012, 06:56 AM
I wouldnt try tide. I do suggest a fabric softener sheet though. Take one and wet your car where the bugs and grime and are and then use the sheet on those areas. I use them on the front end, rocker panel area and windshield of every car i clean.takes bugs right off

QWKSNKE
03-21-2012, 07:40 AM
Tide does work well on driveways, concrete porches, etc.

I use a little Tide and a broom in my carport and my front porch several times a year. Works like a champ

DSkeet
03-21-2012, 07:56 AM
Any ideas for heavy oil stains on concrete surfaces? BTW, hi :)

rockylammon
03-21-2012, 05:52 PM
i own a detailing business and would NEVER use any type of detergent!!

ncontt
03-21-2012, 09:28 PM

Muriatic Acid...

click me (http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infxtra/infmur.html)

You can thank me later...;-) :chug:

EHardy1971
03-22-2012, 05:56 PM
New gaskets? :D

DSkeet
03-22-2012, 06:21 PM
New gaskets? :D

Stains are from old cars. Garage floor is nasty and driveway has a few spots too..

waypastcrazy
08-30-2012, 05:29 PM
Mr Clean magic eraser works well on bug and tar stains on vehicles.