PDA

View Full Version : Battery Upgrades

RedSuperRanger23
04-22-2012, 03:53 AM
I'm probably going to be buying a new battery for my Mustang pretty soon and got to wondering if the Optima, Odyssey, etc. batteries were worth the cost. I may also relocate the battery to the trunk at the same time, so actual size/group isn't really an issue.

93cobra1928
04-22-2012, 10:02 AM
If you maintain them (trickle charge) they are good. If you don't, they are a huge waste of money.

banditmwp
04-22-2012, 10:25 AM
:no:

Coming from someone that sold AGM batteries for years.

TheJeanyus
04-22-2012, 01:01 PM
I had an Optima in the Cobra. I let it die once, and it would never hold a charge worth a damn after that. I won't buy another one, personally.

EHardy1971
04-22-2012, 06:35 PM
Optimas are nice, but they die with NO warning at all.

I had an Optima in the Cobra. I let it die once, and it would never hold a charge worth a damn after that. I won't buy another one, personally.
How did you charge it? They don't charge like regular lead acid batteries.

QWKSNKE
04-22-2012, 08:17 PM
I ran optimal for many years but the last two I bought did not last long. Seems that their quality has gone down the last 6 years or so

rtusnake
04-22-2012, 08:28 PM
I prefer the motorcraft batteries

TheJeanyus
04-22-2012, 08:42 PM
Optimas are nice, but they die with NO warning at all.

How did you charge it? They don't charge like regular lead acid batteries.
Jump started the car and drove it all day. After that if the car wasn't driven every 4-5 days it would die.

EHardy1971
04-22-2012, 08:55 PM
Jump started the car and drove it all day. After that if the car wasn't driven every 4-5 days it would die.
After they go 'dead', you have to recharge them in series with another battery from a 12 volt charger.

http://www.optimabatteries.com/product_support/charging.php

TheJeanyus
04-23-2012, 07:05 AM
Eh, it didn't do anything that a regular ol' Motorcraft battery won't do...except cost me a lot more. :shrug: Like I said, I don't see myself buying another one.

coupe
04-23-2012, 09:03 AM
I bought a USED Optima for my mustang about 8 years ago (had been in a race car previously)...It finally gave up this past year, so I bought one for the Viper too. It has been perfect so far. I bought an AGM/Gel specific battery maintainer for the car and I keep it plugged in all the time. It maintains the battery at the right voltage for increased life. I also have a Sears DieHard "Platinum" which is a re-packaged Odyssey battery. They're great batteries too!

If you don't need a sealed battery like these however, I recommend just getting a normal battery. I've had the best luck out of the top-level Advance Auto battery.

acproxer
04-23-2012, 05:10 PM
optima red top in the 87gt for 4yrs without a hiccup. mostly parked through the winter and it has never had a charger on it. i think its alot like other things, sometimes you get a good one sometimes you get a dud.

SilverBack
04-24-2012, 07:48 PM
I've got the biggest, highest CCA Advance Auto Platinum battery that would fit inside the Summit battery relocation box. I completely drained it once by accidentally leaving the key on overnight when fooling around with it for something a few years back. I recharged it and it's never given me any issues. It's been in the car since I got it on the road and it's got a lifetime warranty.

RedSuperRanger23
04-26-2012, 01:16 PM
I pulled my battery out last night and found the date sticker (5/06) so I'd say that it gave its moneys worth. I called the two closest Advance Auto Parts and they want $190 for a redtop Optima... I believe that's a bit high based on a google search, but I dunno.