PDA

View Full Version : '11 Honda Odyssey (New Baby Hauler)

Italian LX
02-03-2014, 09:01 AM
Well, as many as you know, we have a third baby coming at the end of this month – that means the Ford Escape just won’t cut it anymore. In all of our research, we decided on a Honda Odyssey and found the perfect one last month via CarMax. It is the Touring Elite model, so (aside from any factory installed options) it has all of the available features. We’ve had it for almost three weeks now and love every aspect of it. (We’ve already reaped the benefits of not having to take two separate vehicle when even one person comes to visit.)

Obviously, there won’t be any performance mods on this ride (yet), but there are a few cosmetic and technological areas on which we’d like to improve.

Current mods:
Window tint
HID Fog Lights
Car Seats (x2) :baby: :baby:

Future Mods:
Third Car Seat :baby:
Secondary RES monitor (for rear facing occupants) :cool:
Interior camera (to keep an eye on the little ones) :D

Here’s a quick pic I took yesterday:

http://streetstangs.com/images/Odyssey-01.jpg

TheJeanyus
02-03-2014, 10:22 AM
Talked to Bradley Buchanan about custom coil overs and a turbo Acura V6 yet? :jester:

Should be a nice way to haul the kiddos around. It should get better mileage than a big SUV, anyway. :nice:

EZ SPEED
02-03-2014, 10:31 AM
Awesome Congrats :chug:

Italian LX
02-03-2014, 10:34 AM
Talked to Bradley Buchanan about custom coil overs and a turbo Acura V6 yet? :jester:
LOL

Should be a nice way to haul the kiddos around. It should get better mileage than a big SUV, anyway. :nice:
I'm hoping for decent mileage. It likely won't get near what the Escape got, but it certainly should be respectable for its size and features. It definitely drives better that any SUV I have been in -- this thing actually handle more like a car. And, in my opinion, it's one of the better looking minivans out there, so I'm not too embarrassed when I'm driving it around. (Not that anyone could see me through the tint. :D)

Italian LX
02-03-2014, 10:35 AM
Awesome Congrats :chug:
Thanks!

. . .and thanks for the tint recommendation. Shane did an excellent job on all 11 windows.

EZ SPEED
02-04-2014, 06:30 AM
Thanks!

. . .and thanks for the tint recommendation. Shane did an excellent job on all 11 windows.

you are welcome. Shane is the best guy for tint!!

NO2MORO
02-06-2014, 12:56 PM
Great choice!

Let me know when you need parts or major service.

Italian LX
02-06-2014, 01:23 PM
Great choice!

Let me know when you need parts or major service.
Thanks.

Actually, if you happen to know a source where I could buy some male/female OEM connectors, that would be very helpful. I need to interface with the DVD and NAV unit, but I'd rather not hack into the factory wiring.

Specifically, I need Connector 'E' (16P) on the Audio-Navigation unit and Connector 'A' (32P) on the Audio Display -- male and female of each.

Italian LX
02-07-2014, 08:05 AM
Here's a picture of what Alexis drove when we were married, and what she drives now.

. . . amazing what a difference 5 years and 3 kids makes. :D

http://streetstangs.com/images/Odyssey-02.jpg

TheJeanyus
02-07-2014, 11:40 AM
:rofl:

At least you guys still have the 'vert for her to enjoy once in a while. A lot of people have to give up their toys completely. :nice:

NO2MORO
02-07-2014, 11:50 AM
Thanks.

Actually, if you happen to know a source where I could buy some male/female OEM connectors, that would be very helpful. I need to interface with the DVD and NAV unit, but I'd rather not hack into the factory wiring.

Specifically, I need Connector 'E' (16P) on the Audio-Navigation unit and Connector 'A' (32P) on the Audio Display -- male and female of each.

I have a factory cabin harness, somewhere around the shop. I will look for it and get back with you.

NO2MORO
02-07-2014, 11:56 AM
[QUOTE=Italian LX;226409]Here's a picture of what Alexis drove when we were married, and what she drives now.

. . . amazing what a difference 5 years and 3 kids makes. :D

I know the feeling. For each girl we had we lost another stang. When #3 came along I lost the G8(Love that car, only GM product I would ever own). Mahaley wont drive a minivan. I've tried getting her a Odyssey but she wont have it. So we bought the "Beast" Expedition EL. Now she just gripes about fuel mileage. :jester:

Italian LX
02-08-2014, 08:30 PM
I have a factory cabin harness, somewhere around the shop. I will look for it and get back with you.
Thanks.

My original intention was to get male/female connectors so that I can make extension cables and just splice into them, so a facotry harness wouldn't help; however, you made me think... if I had a replacement harness, I could hack it up and save the original one for if I ever want to return it to stock.

I lookd up online to see what part I would need and it seems that the audio harness for our van is Honda part 32118-TK8-A60. If you don't have what I need, I'll probably just keep an eye out on eBay and see if one shows up.

Craig K.
02-10-2014, 08:00 PM

At least you guys still have the 'vert for her to enjoy once in a while. A lot of people have to give up their toys completely. :nice:

Yeah, ummm that's me, thanks for the reminder.
Though I guess the ATV is my new toy. It ain't much but it's something.

Nice mini-van Brian and congrats on the up coming major mod to it

QWKSNKE
02-11-2014, 09:41 AM

I have probably put more miles on their vert than they have in the last few years. I have borrowed it twice :D

Can't remember why though :huh:

TheJeanyus
02-11-2014, 09:47 AM
Yeah, ummm that's me, thanks for the reminder.
Though I guess the ATV is my new toy. It ain't much but it's something.

Nice mini-van Brian and congrats on the up coming major mod to it
I know the feeling. Preparing to have a kid is a big part of the reason why I no longer have my F150 or the Corvette. Sold the F150 to get rid of the debt, sold the Corvette to pay off the rest of my debt other than the house and put some cash in the bank. Played around with motorcycles, but sold them too. If it weren't for my mom basically giving me the car for free, I wouldn't have my Mustang either.

When I was 18 and knew everything, I said I'd never be "that guy" who sold his toys to have a baby. As I got older I realized I wanted financial stability and a happy family more than a car sitting in the garage. Who knew I'd actually grow up one day? :jester:

Italian LX
02-11-2014, 03:54 PM
I have probably put more miles on their vert than they have in the last few years. I have borrowed it twice :D
You definitely put more miles on it than Alexis -- she hasn't driven it since Evan was born. (He'll be four in July.)

I only put about 100 miles on it each year... that equals about 10 runs to home depot and a couple trips to Anniston. LOL

Can't remember why though :huh:
I know you took it to the Friday car show in Gadsden at least once. I'm pretty sure you had it for at least a month or so during that time.

Italian LX
02-11-2014, 04:02 PM
I know the feeling. Preparing to have a kid is a big part of the reason why I no longer have my F150 or the Corvette. Sold the F150 to get rid of the debt, sold the Corvette to pay off the rest of my debt other than the house and put some cash in the bank. Played around with motorcycles, but sold them too. If it weren't for my mom basically giving me the car for free, I wouldn't have my Mustang either.

When I was 18 and knew everything, I said I'd never be "that guy" who sold his toys to have a baby. As I got older I realized I wanted financial stability and a happy family more than a car sitting in the garage. Who knew I'd actually grow up one day? :jester:

I guess I need to grow up too and start selling things. :huh:

Actually, I have considered selling the coupe a few times just because I know it will be a long time before I can find time to work on it. But then I think of how maybe it would be something that I can work on with Evan... so I talk myself into keeping it.

Who knows, maybe he'll grow up and not be interested in cars at all. At that point, I'll just sell it and buy me a boat or something. :jester:

Craig K.
02-11-2014, 05:34 PM

Actually, I have considered selling the coupe a few times just because I know it will be a long time before I can find time to work on it. But then I think of how maybe it would be something that I can work on with Evan... so I talk myself into keeping it.

Who knows, maybe he'll grow up and not be interested in cars at all. At that point, I'll just sell it and buy me a boat or something. :jester:

I am at that point now. My oldest son (14) is kinda of into cars, but I think really only because I am and he wants to talk to me about stuff. He is (and the other two) are really into sports (football and basketball) and Xbox.
I had want to do a full restoration to the 95 Cobra vert with them but rather of had cash to pay off stuff.
So now with the ATV I can take kids for rides one at a time and we spend time together that way which is nice.
I am still hoping maybe one of them gets the bug and I will help wrench on their cars...or plug in the computer for them

TheJeanyus
02-12-2014, 07:01 AM

Dibs on the Windsor. :D

Or do this with it! http://www.ilovesleepers.20m.com/photo.html Who needs legroom when you can do big smoky minivan burnouts! :jester:

coupe
02-12-2014, 07:32 AM
If we ever have another track day/dyno day, it will be trucks, vans, and sedans with baby seats... :D

Lemme know if you ever sell the vert.

Italian LX
02-12-2014, 07:33 AM
Or do this with it! http://www.ilovesleepers.20m.com/photo.html Who needs legroom when you can do big smoky minivan burnouts! :jester:

Holy crap! :lol:

A Honda Odyssey with a 418W... hmmm. :D

Italian LX
02-12-2014, 07:42 AM
If we ever have another track day/dyno day, it will be trucks, vans, and sedans with baby seats... :D
Yep. :yup:

Lemme know if you ever sell the vert.
A lot of people tell me that. I told Robert (the guy I bought it from) that I would give him first dibs, but I would certainly keep you in mind if he turns it down.

However, it's pretty unlikely that we would ever come to sell the GT. Although we don't get much use out of it now, it's great to have a convertible sitting around for nice cruising days. :cool:

rtusnake
02-12-2014, 01:08 PM
Streetvans.net? :jester:

NightHawk756
02-12-2014, 08:31 PM

:rofl::rofl:

Italian LX
02-13-2014, 07:45 AM
:lol:

Instead of a gun section, there could be a car seat section. LOL

TheJeanyus
02-13-2014, 10:18 AM
:lol:

Instead of a gun section, there could be a car seat section. LOL

Some car seats cost as much as a decent gun, so it sort of works. :jester:

rtusnake
02-13-2014, 10:18 AM
I did see some cool looking car seats at summit the other day

1sicklx
02-17-2014, 08:05 PM
A lot of people have to give up their toys completely. :nice:

:wave:

NO2MORO
02-24-2014, 08:42 AM
Thanks.

My original intention was to get male/female connectors so that I can make extension cables and just splice into them, so a facotry harness wouldn't help; however, you made me think... if I had a replacement harness, I could hack it up and save the original one for if I ever want to return it to stock.

I lookd up online to see what part I would need and it seems that the audio harness for our van is Honda part 32118-TK8-A60. If you don't have what I need, I'll probably just keep an eye out on eBay and see if one shows up.

My cost on the harness is 130 plus tax, msrp is 208.00

Side note: keep track of your oil consumption. I am replacing piston rings, on a daily basis on all V6 engines. VCM causing alot of problems.

Italian LX
02-24-2014, 08:56 AM
My cost on the harness is 130 plus tax, msrp is 208.00
Thanks. That sounds about right sonce most places online sell it for about $150. At that price, I'll probably just hack up the factory harness for now, and if I ever need to return it down the road, I'll buy a new one. In the meantime, I can keep an eye out on eBay.

Side note: keep track of your oil consumption. I am replacing piston rings, on a daily basis on all V6 engines. VCM causing alot of problems.
Good to know! I've heard about the VCM causing issues, but nothing specific.

Any particular year, or is it all of them with VCM. What mileage are the engines seeing before signs of failure?

NO2MORO
02-24-2014, 03:35 PM
Thanks. That sounds about right sonce most places online sell it for about $150. At that price, I'll probably just hack up the factory harness for now, and if I ever need to return it down the road, I'll buy a new one. In the meantime, I can keep an eye out on eBay.

Good to know! I've heard about the VCM causing issues, but nothing specific.

Any particular year, or is it all of them with VCM. What mileage are the engines seeing before signs of failure?

If you are ever in the Bham area, you can come by and go through our extra harness.

All VCM 08 and up. Accords get around 80k before having problems.
Your Odyssey will be lucky if it gets to 30k. I'm finishing and Odyssey that has 18k.

Italian LX
02-24-2014, 04:02 PM
. . . Your Odyssey will be lucky if it gets to 30k. I'm finishing and Odyssey that has 18k.
Ouch... at least it should be covered under warranty.

Is there a fix aside from just replacing the rings? How do they keep it from happening again?

Italian LX
02-25-2014, 08:39 AM
I did a little research and found this TSB that addresses an issue related to excessive oil consumption and the VCM:

http://honda-tech.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=254537&d

Our 2011 Odyssey was built at the end of the model year (August '11) and with a VIN of 092440, already had the software in place when it was sold.

I'll still keep an eye on oil consumption (as I doo with all of our cars).

NO2MORO
02-25-2014, 10:30 AM
Ouch... at least it should be covered under warranty.

Is there a fix aside from just replacing the rings? How do they keep it from happening again?

I did a little research and found this TSB that addresses an issue related to excessive oil consumption and the VCM:

http://honda-tech.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=254537&d

Our 2011 Odyssey was built at the end of the model year (August '11) and with a VIN of 092440, already had the software in place when it was sold.

I'll still keep an eye on oil consumption (as I doo with all of our cars).

As of now, for your Odyssey, just replace the rings. On the 08-10, update the firmware and rings. The replacement rings are the same part # as the factory installed rings.

The update allows the VCM disengage more often, taking it out of Econ mode.

My advice is to : When on long interstate runs, kick down on the throttle, causing it to run all cylinders. This should help clean the plug and rings.

I dont think the rings will help in the long run. Honda is kicking the can down the road untill they have true fix.

My educated guess is that, due to no combustion in the chamber during full VCM mode, the cylinders become more of a vacuum pump and pulls the oil past the rings and contaminate the plugs.

Italian LX
02-25-2014, 10:41 AM
As of now, for your Odyssey, just replace the rings. On the 08-10, update the firmware and rings. The replacement rings are the same part # as the factory installed rings.

The update allows the VCM disengage more often, taking it out of Econ mode.

My advice is to : When on long interstate runs, kick down on the throttle, causing it to run all cylinders. This should help clean the plug and rings.

I dont think the rings will help in the long run. Honda is kicking the can down the road untill they have true fix.

My educated guess is that, due to no combustion in the chamber during full VCM mode, the cylinders become more of a vacuum pump and pulls the oil past the rings and contaminate the plugs.

Thanks for the advise. Luckily, the van is being used mostly for short drives around town in traffic and doesn't stay in ECO mode for very long, but I'll keep what you said in mind when we take trips on the interstate.

coupe
02-26-2014, 08:48 AM
For what it's worth, a friend of mine bought a 2010 Odyssey pre-owned with 15k miles. They now have over 40k miles with zero issues; mix of city/hwy miles, including a few trips to Orange Beach.

Italian LX
08-30-2017, 04:24 PM
The Odyssey on the Dragon. . . .

:D

rtusnake
08-30-2017, 08:06 PM
Lol pretty good shot of it

Italian LX
08-31-2017, 07:22 AM
Lol pretty good shot of it

Thanks.

Yeah, the outside looked great... the inside, not so much, after two of the kids got car sick. :puke: :puke:

QWKSNKE
09-04-2017, 12:14 AM
Thanks.

Yeah, the outside looked great... the inside, not so much, after two of the kids got car sick. :puke: :puke:

EHardy1971
09-04-2017, 01:53 PM
Thanks.

:spit::spit::spit:

coupe
09-05-2017, 01:32 PM
:lol: Fun time I'm sure!

tacbear
09-08-2017, 11:45 AM
Hard to believe you didn't spring for the "Woody Luxury Package"!!!:metal:

Wall96cobra
10-22-2019, 06:32 PM
Brian, shouldn't you make a new post since it's paid off now?

rtusnake
10-22-2019, 06:49 PM
Time for a new one

Italian LX
10-23-2019, 01:57 PM
Hard to believe you didn't spring for the "Woody Luxury Package"!!!:metal:

Oh man... I need those wheels.

...:rofl:

Italian LX
10-23-2019, 02:01 PM
Brian, shouldn't you make a new post since it's paid off now?

LOL

Nah, Alexis is still super happy about the Odyssey, and it's just now hitting 60K miles.

What I need to do now is save up for my car replacement. As soon as this Civic dies, Daddy's going to need a new ride. LOL

....just not sure how long that will take... this thing just won't quit.

Italian LX
03-23-2021, 08:33 AM
What I need to do now is save up for my car replacement. As soon as this Civic dies, Daddy's going to need a new ride. LOL

....just not sure how long that will take... this thing just won't quit.
Well.... it finally quit. :joystick:

After 342,000 miles, my '07 Civic Hybrid finally left me stranded.

It was good while it lasted, but I'm now back with having a car payment.

Italian LX
03-23-2021, 08:37 AM
I ended up buying another Honda Hybrid, since I still commute back and forth to work from Oxford to Irondale, and needed to have something that gets good gas mileage.... especially with the gas prices continuing to climb.

http://streetstangs.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=8517&d=16165105413

Craig K.
03-24-2021, 04:06 PM
Should
Had bought a KIA, I could had gotten you a discount...nice looking Honda, is that built in Alabama?

EZ SPEED
04-03-2021, 11:55 AM
Clean looking ride :nice:

Italian LX
04-14-2021, 10:29 AM
Should
Had bought a KIA, I could had gotten you a discount...
Would love to have Stinger GT.... just wasn't in my price range.... nor was I willing to take the MPG hit.

Should
...nice looking Honda, is that built in Alabama?

Thanks!! No, the Insight is built in the Greensburg, Indiana factory.