PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer Loading - What is to close?

Sendero
04-18-2005, 05:51 PM
I've been toying with the idea of rebuilding my current sub box and changing its configuration. Instead of the normal rear seat delete, the sub box occupies the space of the former rear seat bottom. The subs are 10" JL Audio's firing straight up with a Rockford Fosgate Punch 125 amp providing the power. (Its bridged and driving both subs) Each sub has their own 0.8 cu.ft. sealed space to work with. Materials are a mixture of 3/4" MDF and layered Fiberglass.

My complaints are mostly sub response and range. For some reason the box feels like its a half of beat off with the windows up and a full beat off with the windows down. Also, the box doesn't have the gut shaking low range that some of my other boxes have had (with the same subs and amp). I am fairly certain it has to do with my box construction and firing configuration.

What my main question is: Without changing any other components or box size, can I change to a down firing configuration and achieve the proper response and range? How close is too close to the subwoofers (in regards to a solid surface for the sub cone to couple with, example being the distance between the cone and the floor pan? Is there any other components you would change to help my cause?

Majority of my music is played with emphasis on sound instead of teeth rattling bass. Although I do like a little "Salt Shaker" every once in a while.

Any help would be appreciated!

Sendero
04-20-2005, 07:40 AM
:bump:

Scothew
04-20-2005, 09:36 AM
staying sealed is important for the SQ portion of it IMO. When you say downfiring, are you still going to have the sub enclosed completely, or teh magnet free air?

I would say at least half an inch clearence between the farthest part of the sub that sticks out would be needed before it touched anything. That would give a little bit of extra room in the even you hit a bump or something and the box moved or flexed.

DSkeet
04-20-2005, 01:37 PM
I've been toying with the idea of rebuilding my current sub box and changing its configuration. Instead of the normal rear seat delete, the sub box occupies the space of the former rear seat bottom. The subs are 10" JL Audio's firing straight up with a Rockford Fosgate Punch 125 amp providing the power. (Its bridged and driving both subs) Each sub has their own 0.8 cu.ft. sealed space to work with. Materials are a mixture of 3/4" MDF and layered Fiberglass.

My complaints are mostly sub response and range. For some reason the box feels like its a half of beat off with the windows up and a full beat off with the windows down. Also, the box doesn't have the gut shaking low range that some of my other boxes have had (with the same subs and amp). I am fairly certain it has to do with my box construction and firing configuration.

What my main question is: Without changing any other components or box size, can I change to a down firing configuration and achieve the proper response and range? How close is too close to the subwoofers (in regards to a solid surface for the sub cone to couple with, example being the distance between the cone and the floor pan? Is there any other components you would change to help my cause?

Majority of my music is played with emphasis on sound instead of teeth rattling bass. Although I do like a little "Salt Shaker" every once in a while.

Any help would be appreciated!

I imagine the bass response isn't as good as it could be firing up and inside the cabin also. There is probaby a way you could change to a downfiring design and get a better low end response, however, I think that you may need more space to get the sound you need. I will show this thread to our box-builder Walt and see what he recommends. If anyone would know it would be him! Oh, BTW what car is this in and do you have the exact measurements of your current box?

David

Sendero
04-20-2005, 01:48 PM
I imagine the bass response isn't as good as it could be firing up and inside the cabin also. There is probaby a way you could change to a downfiring design and get a better low end response, however, I think that you may need more space to get the sound you need. I will show this thread to our box-builder Walt and see what he recommends. If anyone would know it would be him! Oh, BTW what car is this in and do you have the exact measurements of your current box?

David

Its in my 96 Cobra. Its a custom built box (by me) that has a flat 3/4" MDF top surface that the speakers mount to and a formed fiberglass bottom that takes the shape of the floorpan.

If you take your rear seat out, my box occupies the space where the rear seat used to be.

DSkeet
04-20-2005, 02:08 PM
Its in my 96 Cobra. Its a custom built box (by me) that has a flat 3/4" MDF top surface that the speakers mount to and a formed fiberglass bottom that takes the shape of the floorpan.

If you take your rear seat out, my box occupies the space where the rear seat used to be.

Walt read this thread and said if you absolutely want to keep them where they are and want to downfire them and get decent sound, you need to do around 1.5 cu ft sealed and leave about 4-5 inches of space between the cone and the floor. However having to go bigger like this may screw the whole look of what you are going for. If you could post pics of what you have in there now it would be easier to see what can be done. :dunno:

AngelEyes
04-20-2005, 08:13 PM
Its a custom built box (by me)
By who???????