PDA

View Full Version : Stock rotor longevity?

Scothew
04-25-2005, 11:48 AM
I am still running the stock cobra 13" rotors on my car now with 130+ thousand miles. They arent really showing bad signs of wear, but I can see lines all the way around them. They feel smooth to the touch though.

My brake pads have never worn down to a point where they make constant noise or anything. I have a lifetime warrenty on the pads so I replace them way before that point.

Should I just have my rotors turned or should I opt for new ones. I'd rather not spend the extra on that right now, but a set of stillens would be nice.

Also would stillen rotors work with my rabestos red pads. They are a semi-metallic. The only reason I ask is because I have the lifetime warrenty on them and its great to be able to just go get a new set whenever i want for free.

Sendero
04-25-2005, 01:02 PM
If they are the true originals with 130k+ miles, I'd go ahead an replace them. No use in getting them turned because they are probably to thin as it is!

Sendero
04-25-2005, 04:45 PM
SCOTT!!! Get THIS! (http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26434)

Scothew
04-25-2005, 05:00 PM
how about you buy that and I will buy your rotors for $120 :jester:

Wicked
04-25-2005, 05:05 PM
If you've got room to turn them, do it. There's a big difference obviously between 10/per to turn and new price. I just gave my old rotors to a friend or I'd give them to you. I'd measure them to get an idea of how much material you can remove.

QWKSNKE
04-25-2005, 05:16 PM
SCOTT!!! Get THIS! (http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26434)

those are bad ass!! and a good price

slvrbullit
04-25-2005, 07:29 PM
Scott we have the Raybestos Slotted and Cross Drilled rotors on our Cobra. They are nice and nowhere near the cost of stillens and the likes.

Craig K.
04-26-2005, 04:12 PM
I suggest measuring them and seeing how much you have left, the min thickness should be on the back.

If you have plenty of material on them, then turn them. If not, then buy new.