PDA

View Full Version : Question

dylan020
04-26-2005, 10:25 PM
ok my friend has picked up an 85 Saleen. He's having trouble with the engine but we cant figure it out. We thought it was the carb but doesnt seem to be. When started, it sputters and the tach jumps. We did notice that on the driver side there is a box that several pretty good size wires come out of. One of the wires have dryrotted b/c of the coating thats been gone. Anybody know what this wire could be/do? thanks guys

QWKSNKE
04-27-2005, 04:54 AM
can you post a pic. Its been a while since I looked at a carb'd stang engine compartment

Wickd GT
04-27-2005, 05:23 AM
If is coming from a box that looks like a computer, that is your duraspark control box, any wire that are coming out of there are tofire the ignition, if they are like you said, they are grounding or arching. If the tach jumps defenetly is around there, look at the conection were the coil is, there is a green and a red wire conecting to the coil, make shure they are not strip or are corroded, that will make the motor do what you describing. That is a very rare car, an 85 saleen, not to many of them were done, hopefully it is not in bad shape.

Edgar

coupe
04-27-2005, 10:32 AM
:werd: Sound's like ignition. I've also seen the same symptoms from moisture in the distributor: the tach jumps all arond & car misses.

dylan020
04-27-2005, 10:33 AM
thanks guys, ill pass this on to him, much thanks for the help