PDA

View Full Version : 4v guys.. C Head headers on B Heads

Scothew
04-27-2005, 03:57 PM
http://forums.modulardepot.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=58707

Read that thread and starting with my post (sorry dont know how to link an exact post from there) and the one right above it and tell me what you think about that.

According to them, 03 headers would work fine on our B head 4v's. I wonder if there is anything to gain from it acctually.

Also would the mid-pipe bolt up properly? Or if it would, can any mid-pipe from a 4v pretty much bolt up to our stock headers (i.e. a catted X from a 99/01 or 03 work on our cars?

Sendero
04-27-2005, 07:18 PM
I am just not seeing how a rectangular peg can fit in an oval hole. Not going to happen.

Wall96cobra
04-27-2005, 08:01 PM
I am just not seeing how a rectangular peg can fit in an oval hole. Not going to happen.

It will be fine because the 03 exhaust ports are so much bigger than the b or c heads. Although I really don't see where it would net any substantial gains, I mean I see what they're saying that the 03 headers have larger ports so it should be less restriction but any aftermarket 96-98 or 99-01 4v header should be made where that is not a restriction anyway. As far as the mid pipes bolting up the main difference is gonna be in the hanger location (96-98 mid pipe hanger is in a different location than 99-04) but it would "probably" still work.

Sendero
04-27-2005, 08:07 PM
It will be fine because the 03 exhaust ports are so much bigger than the b or c heads.

Thats true, but it seems like to things would happen when you did this:

1. Kill all exhaust scavenging because of turbulence leaving the port.
2. Invite exhaust port cracking. Like the older flatheads, when you ran a header that was to big the material around the port would start to crack.

This is the first I have ever heard of this. Granted I have never seen a C style head up close, but it looks like the exhaust header for the C head is way larger than the B head.

QWKSNKE
04-27-2005, 08:19 PM

2. Invite exhaust port cracking. Like the older flatheads, when you ran a header that was to big the material around the port would start to crack.

This is the first I have ever heard of this. Granted I have never seen a C style head up close, but it looks like the exhaust header for the C head is way larger than the B head.

As long as it lines up, bigger is good. I can't see any reason why there would be cracking especially when dealing with an aluminum head.

Wall96cobra
04-27-2005, 08:30 PM

I can't see how there would be turbulence when the primary tube is larger than the exhaust port, now if you put a set of 96-01 headers on a 03/04 4v then yes there would be alot of turbulence. I also don't see any way that the exhaust ports would crack and there is NO difference in the exhaust ports from the B to C heads, the exhaust ports did not change until the 03 4v heads.

TheJeanyus
04-27-2005, 08:46 PM
I can't see how there would be turbulence when the primary tube is larger than the exhaust port, now if you put a set of 96-01 headers on a 03/04 4v then yes there would be alot of turbulence. I also don't see any way that the exhaust ports would crack and there is NO difference in the exhaust ports from the B to C heads, the exhaust ports did not change until the 03 4v heads.
There will be turbulence leaving the exhaust port due to the sudden expansion into a larger vessel. It takes a little time (distance down the tube) for the flow to develop, and eddys form along the edges.

QWKSNKE
04-27-2005, 09:05 PM

oops. I thought the 'c' heads were 03 4v heads

Sendero
04-27-2005, 09:49 PM

:crazy: I'm confusing myself.

96-98 B Head = Oval Port
99-02 C Head = Oval Port
03+ DOHC & Navi's = Rectangular Port

...and Joseph caught what I meant. It's like slapping 1 3/4" Headers on a stock 5.0, you'll kill the bottom end curve. But I doubt there is that much difference in exhaust manifolds between the 96-98's and 99-02's.

I need to just stay out of any technical posts until Wednesday of next week. Damn, exams are hindering my thought process.

:doh:

TheJeanyus
04-27-2005, 09:53 PM
Damn, exams are hindering my thought process.
:stupid: But one of my exams has to do with developed/undeveloped flow, so I got that part. :D

Sendero
04-27-2005, 09:59 PM
:stupid: But one of my exams has to do with developed/undeveloped flow, so I got that part. :D

Ughh...

Statics (Departmental Exam)
Probablility and Statistics for Engineers (Hardest Elective evAr!)
Advanced C++ Programming (bull$h1rt class)
C++ Lab

All in three days. :(

TheJeanyus
04-27-2005, 10:04 PM
:ot: :hijacked:

Machine Design II (Finished, for better or worse)
Controls and Automation (Final tomorrow)
Introduction to Materials Engineering (Final tomorrow)
Heat Transfer (Final Tuesday)
ME Lab II (Final project Friday)

I might actually make Dean's List this semester. :banana2:

Scothew
04-28-2005, 09:44 AM
There will be turbulence leaving the exhaust port due to the sudden expansion into a larger vessel. It takes a little time (distance down the tube) for the flow to develop, and eddys form along the edges.

Thats the exact reason that I was curious about. I just didnt know how it would effect it.

TheJeanyus
04-28-2005, 09:56 AM
It'll cost you some low end, but in the higher rpms I think it would be ok. I'm not sure, though, that there would be any real advantage to doing it on a NA car.

96GTS
04-28-2005, 12:00 PM
:crazy: I'm confusing myself.

96-98 B Head = Oval Port
99-02 C Head = Oval Port
03+ DOHC & Navi's = Rectangular Port

...and Joseph caught what I meant. It's like slapping 1 3/4" Headers on a stock 5.0, you'll kill the bottom end curve. But I doubt there is that much difference in exhaust manifolds between the 96-98's and 99-02's.

I need to just stay out of any technical posts until Wednesday of next week. Damn, exams are hindering my thought process.

:doh:
Navi's have oval ports as well:slap: but bigger intake ports ;)

Sendero
04-28-2005, 12:30 PM
Navi's have oval ports as well:slap: but bigger intake ports ;)

Dammit, I give up. Nobody talk to me until May 4th. :mad: