PDA

View Full Version : clutch ?????

Shorty
12-30-2004, 12:04 PM
my car has decided the next mod will be a clutch. biggest reason being that it is leaking oil from the rear main. i tried to find on the BM where there was a clutch preference thread but couldnt find the thing. so ??? is:

what is the best clutch? i want something that grabs well, but has pretty good pedal.

what does it cost to have one put in?

does anyone here do it?

cant the rear main be put in while the tranny is down, if so how much extra should the labor be?

there are shops around here, but i would prefer when the time comes to keep my money with people i know.

svopaul
12-30-2004, 12:09 PM
We can do it for you here or the DSP crew can handle it for you as well.

Anderson Motorsport has one but is really just a reboxed Clutchmaster clutch....it works fine and holds plenty of power. I've seen a couple issues over the years with them but also seen it on other clutches...with volume of production there are expected problems here and there but I wouldn't expect a problem.

SPEC...We offer SPEC Clutches as well.....Never really had any trouble with them. On one car we thought it was clutch related but in the end was not....Joker, Scothew are both Running SPEC Clutches....Flashbang has the Anderson Clutch in his. I also have a SPEC in my SVO.

Those would be my two recommendations. ;)

joker
12-30-2004, 12:13 PM
my car has decided the next mod will be a clutch. biggest reason being that it is leaking oil from the rear main. i tried to find on the BM where there was a clutch preference thread but couldnt find the thing. so ??? is:

what is the best clutch? i want something that grabs well, but has pretty good pedal.

what does it cost to have one put in?

does anyone here do it?

cant the rear main be put in while the tranny is down, if so how much extra should the labor be?

there are shops around here, but i would prefer when the time comes to keep my money with people i know.

I really like the spec stage 3, but alot of guys here prefer a afm king cobra clutch opposed to the spec stuff.

Both SVP and DSP Im am sure could install the clutch for you.

QWKSNKE
12-30-2004, 01:20 PM
I really like the spec stage 3, but alot of guys here prefer a afm king cobra clutch opposed to the spec stuff.

Both SVP and DSP Im am sure could install the clutch for you.

Yep. I am not a Spec fan but I have not actually ever owned one. I have had good luck with the King Cobras. If you choose Spec you will need to go through Paul.

Like the others have said, either Paul or DSP can do the install.

slvrbullit
12-30-2004, 02:20 PM
I recommend the SPEC clutch, I have the stage 3 in my GT and also we have a King Cobra in our cobra and I do not like it that much, peddle feels lots harder than my SPEC 3.

A Stage 2 should be fine for your car that way as you mod the car you will not have to upgrade the clutch for quite some time.

Sendero
12-30-2004, 03:16 PM
My vote: Super King Cobra

tacbear
12-30-2004, 03:19 PM

What is the difference, I just bought a King Cobra?

QWKSNKE
12-30-2004, 03:26 PM
More clamping power than a king cobra. Pedal feel is about the same

Italian LX
12-30-2004, 04:01 PM
:stupid:

Shorty
12-31-2004, 03:16 AM
A Stage 2 should be fine for your car that way as you mod the car you will not have to upgrade the clutch for quite some time.

isnt the stage 3 better than the stage 2?

EZ SPEED
12-31-2004, 03:27 AM

:werd:

svopaul
12-31-2004, 08:25 AM
isnt the stage 3 better than the stage 2?

Different material for different power levels. The stage 3 will hold more power than the stage 2. But that doesn't mean you can't plan ahead....example. We installed a stage 3 in Joker's car....he chose that because of his future plans and therefore not having to buy a clutch twice. Not that the stage 2 wouldn't have held up fine but that is why they list different stages....just different material and disc designs. ;)

Shorty
12-31-2004, 01:16 PM
well that is what i thought, that it would grow with the car. but the way he has it worded it says otherwise. maybe just a misprint. :shrug:

svopaul
12-31-2004, 02:54 PM
I wouldn't go more than a stage 3 if you are going to grow into it.....they are still very streetable at that level....

Purple1995Pony
12-31-2004, 04:14 PM
I've got a SPEC Stage 2, the kevlar one and I like it a lot. no problems with it. Wife has a SPEC Stage 1, lightest pedal I ever drove besides a stock one or a hydraulic setup and it works great and she likes the feel of the light pedal. :banana:

Craig K.
12-31-2004, 04:48 PM
I have a Valeo (OEM supplier for Ford) King Cobra clutch in my car, I like it and have never had slip problems, even when launching at 5K on slicks.

joker
12-31-2004, 05:14 PM
Yea, shorty, I chose the stage 3 because I figured that if I did have the power to need a stage 3, then it would be better to have it already. The stage 2 would have been enough for my car for a little while, but at the same time a little overkill doesnt hurt. The stage 3 definitely is very streetable, and I am glad I decided to go with it over the stage 2.

Shorty
12-31-2004, 10:34 PM
my pedal is already a hassle to work with. but i was telling Italian that i think it could be the quadrant or the cable. the clutch now has 120k so i dont think it is causing the stiff pedal. but i am definitely going to go as good as i can. no more than the car is going to be driven i should be able to deal with it. i sure dont want to replace a good clutch in the future.

Wicked
01-01-2005, 02:08 PM
I had Spec Stage 2 on a mildly modded 5.0. It was more than enough clutch. The stock clutch blew on a powershift. The Spec has a quick engagement and requires a few more RPM to drive smoothly. I loved mine.

Shorty
01-01-2005, 10:50 PM
what exactly do you mean more RPM to drive smoothly?

Wicked
01-02-2005, 10:08 AM
what exactly do you mean more RPM to drive smoothly?

The firction material is so "grippy" that it takes more finesse to smoothly feather it when taking off normally. Its one of those things that you will get used to very quickly.

Shorty
01-02-2005, 11:49 AM
i got you now. wasnt for sure if that was what you were refering to. :nice:

94five0
01-05-2005, 12:37 AM
another SPec stage 3 hurr.

( i've actualy got flashbang's Spec that was goin in his 331 turbo vert..)

defintly not d/d friendly..but nothin the drive train can't take.. i'll break this t-5, before blowin this clutch. its actually over kill for my setup, an i'm probly gonna get somethin alil more d/d friendly before FFW.. a great peice, but runnin this thing on the Dragon was murder..

Shorty
01-05-2005, 03:13 AM
the car is not a daily driver but i do plan to have it ready for the Oct Dragon Run. guess i will just have to deal with it. i just have a problem with only doing stuff one time.

coupe
01-14-2005, 10:49 AM
The clutch's spring tension (the ultimate clamping force) is a bit higher & thus it's less variable with your left foot: more like either on or off. That's my biggest complaint with the Stg. III, but some can live with it. I just picked up a clutch directly from SPEC yesterday. Always good to support the local economy I think.

Shorty
01-14-2005, 12:42 PM
i didnt realize that Spec was a local company.

93Cobra#2771
01-14-2005, 02:58 PM
Old school FMS Heavy Duty here - grandfather of the King Cobra clutches out there. Been flawless for 30k miles, and my left leg is now stronger than my right...

Wicked
01-14-2005, 03:52 PM
i didnt realize that Spec was a local company.

Yep, Hueytown area. I picked my stage 2 up there as well.
I had the spec stage 2 in heavy traffic nearly everyday for about 4 years while going to UAB.

Shorty
01-15-2005, 03:03 AM
Yep, Hueytown area. I picked my stage 2 up there as well.
I had the spec stage 2 in heavy traffic nearly everyday for about 4 years while going to UAB.

cool little piece of info. last time i drove the car the pedal felt so stiff after driving the Ranger for a few weeks. i have also read the quadrant can cause a stiff clutch so i am going to change that out before the new one goes in. i just dont think the stock 120k mile clutch should be so stiff. but maybe it is. other than if your quadrant is worn out what are the advantages to installing a aftermarket one. steeda is the one that i was looking at.....any opinions on those.

qkjuicedpony
01-15-2005, 06:07 AM
btw...i have a billet quadrant and adjustable cable for sale if you need it :D

Wicked
01-15-2005, 11:50 AM
cool little piece of info. last time i drove the car the pedal felt so stiff after driving the Ranger for a few weeks. i have also read the quadrant can cause a stiff clutch so i am going to change that out before the new one goes in. i just dont think the stock 120k mile clutch should be so stiff. but maybe it is. other than if your quadrant is worn out what are the advantages to installing a aftermarket one. steeda is the one that i was looking at.....any opinions on those.

The stock quadrant auto-adjust mechanism strips and causes slack in the clutch pedal and cable. I had a steeda on mine I think, came with the T5 swap.

coupe
01-15-2005, 10:19 PM
I may be interested in that quadrant qkjuice. Whatcha askin?

qkjuicedpony
01-16-2005, 09:59 PM
50 for it and the cable

coupe
01-17-2005, 05:39 PM
think I'm buying the Steeda double-hook quad...it's $34.95. no need for a cable; I like the stockers.

93Cobra#2771
01-18-2005, 06:21 AM
I've got the Forte firewall adjustable unit, myself...

QWKSNKE
01-18-2005, 06:52 AM

Same here.

Shorty
01-19-2005, 02:36 PM

never heard of that one.

93Cobra#2771
01-19-2005, 02:59 PM
They were the original firewall adjustable system, believe it or not...

QWKSNKE
01-19-2005, 03:53 PM
They were the original firewall adjustable system, believe it or not...

:yup:

94five0
01-19-2005, 04:05 PM
i gotta bbk one from summit.. came w/a quad, cable, f/w adjuster..lil snafu we ran into when settin up my trannie setup.. dump the clutch it reset back to the factory position..