PDA

View Full Version : Pbr Caliper Swap

joker
05-03-2005, 09:20 PM
Since Darren mentioned to me that I could keep my wheels if I swapped to the pbr calipers, I have been looking into this. What I am wondering is if swapping the spindles to 99+ spindles would allow you to run the 99+ pbr calipers without have to cut away on the stock sn95 spindles. If you look at the swap info, you dont take alot out of the sn95 spindles, but also, I figure it was engineered to a certain thickness for a reason.

svopaul
05-04-2005, 09:56 AM
It's not the spindle that gives clearance issues...it's the caliper mounting bracket.

joker
05-04-2005, 10:16 AM
Yea, it looks like I read the article wrong.

Still though, since the caliper mounting bracket works without shaving on a 99+ spindle, could you put the 99+ spindle onto the sn95? That way there wouldnt be any need to shave the mounting bracket.

Basically what I am asking I guess is could I switch everything (ie, spindle, mounting bracket, and calipers to 99+ style and have more clearance?

Just trying to find a way to keep those wheels without removing metal from any of the brake parts.

NightHawk756
05-04-2005, 10:22 AM
For the money, time and trouble, I would think just selling those and buying some Pro-Star XP's would be better. :shrug:

svopaul
05-04-2005, 10:23 AM
I haven't tried first hand with the Pro stars so I can't say. I can say that SVO wheels interfere with the '99 up calipers. You can bolt on the '99 up GT calipers but wheel fitment is going to be "per wheel"....like I said...SVO wheels don't clear the calipers...I do know that. You would have to try it....we could always take one of your Pro Stars and trial fit it on to Jon's '03 GT here....

joker
05-04-2005, 12:00 PM
we could always take one of your Pro Stars and trial fit it on to Jon's '03 GT here....

Damn I didnt think of that. If they wont fit the 99+ stuff I guess I will just trade them for some street wheels and tires, then buy the xp's later. The skinnies just dont seem like they would be very good for driving around town.

Sendero
05-04-2005, 01:20 PM
Modifying the spindles to accept 99+ brackets is SUPER easy. I did this on my 89GT which has the junkyard 5-lug swap and PBR dual piston calipers.

In the picture attached below, you just use a grinder to carry the curve straight out instead of allowing it to rise back up over the bolt holes. This is noted by the blue lines:

joker
05-04-2005, 01:53 PM
I understand nthat it isnt that hard and not that much metal is removed, but my question is how much could it possibly effect the structural rigidity? Have you ever heard of anyone breaking parts or having braqke failure because of this?

Sendero
05-04-2005, 02:39 PM
I understand nthat it isnt that hard and not that much metal is removed, but my question is how much could it possibly effect the structural rigidity? Have you ever heard of anyone breaking parts or having braqke failure because of this?

Off of 5mm of material removal? OEM spindles are heat treated so unless you weld to them, you'll be ok. For reference, that 5-lug swap has been on the 89GT for at least 30k miles now.

I can't believe this site is still up:
http://www.valleycomputers.ws/mustang/

You can see how little grinding you have to do in this picture:

http://www.valleycomputers.ws/mustang/SpindleSpacer.JPG

Craig K.
05-04-2005, 03:03 PM
Removing that little of material from an OEM cast spindle should be no problem at all.

I personnaly would do this and think very little of it, but that is me.

The 99 up spindles should fit with no problems, as I recall the ball joint has never changed on the SN95 cars, and may even be the same as the earlier Fox cars (only difference is the spindle is slightly shorter on the new cars compared to the older Fox's).

Sendero
05-04-2005, 03:11 PM
The 99 up spindles should fit with no problems, as I recall the ball joint has never changed on the SN95 cars, and may even be the same as the earlier Fox cars (only difference is the spindle is slightly shorter on the new cars compared to the older Fox's).

...and the steering arms are at a different angle from 94-95 to 96+.

Scothew
05-04-2005, 04:08 PM
off-topic.. damn that fox looked good nathan! a cowl hood the size of qwksnakes would have looked perfect on it.