PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Mustang GT issues....

Thunderstorm
05-05-2005, 12:08 PM
Well, I debated posting this but figured you might have some people with this car wondering what is going on. Just wanted to compile a quick list over here of crap that has been wrong on the car since buying it. A lot of TSB's have been released, so it looks like Ford has got most of them under control now.

I just took mine into the dealer this afternoon. A fortuitous event, since the rental is a F-150 and I have a bunch of crap to pick up from Home Depot! ;)

Stereo - CD skips randomly. Sometimes head unit ejects CD with Bad Cd error.
Fix - Ford issued TSB to finally start replacing head unit. Don't have number but tech writer knew about it. They may have to order unit.

Strut mounts - Popping noise in front end turning at low speeds.

TSB
05-9-11 FRONT SUSPENSION POPPING NOISE WHILE TURNING RIGHT OR LEFT - VEHICLES BUILT BEFORE 4/8/2005

Publication Date: April 27, 2005

FORD: 2005 Mustang

ISSUE:
Some 2005 Mustang vehicles built before 4/8/2005 may exhibit an intermittent popping noise from the front of the vehicle while turning left or right. The noise will typically occur during low speed maneuvers and may occur multiple times while turning.

ACTION:
On both sides of the vehicle, install a revised upper strut bearing assembly. If the vehicle was built before February, 2005 it may also be necessary to install a lower spring seat isolator if one is not already present. Refer to the following Service Procedure

Tranny sounds - (my personal fav..) Seems Ford forgot to install two bolts in the bell housing. Nice...

special Service Messages
18453 2005 Mustang Gt 4.6l With Manual Transmission Built Before 2/1/05 - Buzz/rattle Noise From Transmission Bell Housing Area
Some 2005 Mustang Gt Vehicles With A 4.6l Engine And Manual Transmission Built Before 2/1/05 May Exhibit A Metallic Rattle Or Buzzing Noise Coming From The Bell Housing Area At Approximately 2500 Rpm. This Noise May Be Intermittent, And May Be Caused By The Engine-to-transmission Separator Plate Resonating. To Service, Install 2 Bolts (part Number W500231-s439) Into The Two (2) Open, Threaded Holes In The Bell Housing. Torque To 33lb-ft (45 Nm).
Effective Date: 03/07/2005

Of course, haven't found anything yet on the vapor issues in the fuel tank neck. Seems some pumps out there won't work if you try to fill your car up. They shut off right after you pull the handle. Still waiting on this one...very odd.

Anyway, just FYI for 05 guys. Least Ford is doing something. Slowly...but something. ;)

Craig K.
05-05-2005, 12:37 PM
On the fuel vapor issue, if this happens to you, pull the nozzle head out as far as you can, so it is just into the filler neck, this should take care of the problem.

Permanent fix will probably be change the neck geometry or the flapper valve spring inside the tank inlet to a lower pressure, either of these fixes will allow the fuel to get into the tank quicker and prevent the fast vapor / fluid build up which is the prossible root cause. One last possible solution could be to open a vapor purge valve in the tank during the refuel process, or change the spring rates in the tank vapor valve
(don't ask why I know this, it brings back many bad work day memories...).

NightHawk756
05-05-2005, 04:28 PM
Tranny sounds - (my personal fav..) Seems Ford forgot to install two bolts in the bell housing. Nice...

:rofl:

banditmwp
05-05-2005, 06:38 PM
Of course, haven't found anything yet on the vapor issues in the fuel tank neck. Seems some pumps out there won't work if you try to fill your car up. They shut off right after you pull the handle. Still waiting on this one...very odd.

Anyway, just FYI for 05 guys. Least Ford is doing something. Slowly...but something. ;)

I've heard at work (from our weekly Ford updates) that they are working on a replacement fuel tank. :chug:

Thunderstorm
05-06-2005, 05:45 AM
I've heard at work (from our weekly Ford updates) that they are working on a replacement fuel tank. :chug:

:popcorn:

I'll be waitin....

Thunderstorm
05-06-2005, 06:00 AM
Ah ha.....didn't even see this. Nice of Ford to only replace this if the customer requests it.

18 March 2005
Robert Lane

Dearborn, Michigan. You pull up to the fuel pump at the local gas station and begin fueling your 2005 Ford Mustang, however, it fills very slowly. The condition may be described as, repeated fuel pump shutoffs when filling the fuel tank. According to Ford, should this condition occur, the fuel tank needs to be replaced.

While Ford has told dealers to replace the fuel tanks, the dealer will only replace the fuel tanks upon customer request. Further, Ford will not notify owners of 2005 Ford Mustangs of this condition.

Your Ford or Lincoln-Mercury dealer will install fuel tank part number "5R3Z-9002-AA" under provisions of the new vehicle warranty and the Federal emissions warranty.

This will be the next trip to the dealer.

NightHawk756
05-06-2005, 07:14 AM
See, this is the problem with brand new platforms. Always some kinks to get worked out. :doh:

93Cobra#2771
05-06-2005, 08:42 AM
Yet another reason why I never want to buy the first year of any new vehicle. There's always some bugs...