PDA

View Full Version : Seafoam Review

Scothew
05-06-2005, 10:23 AM
I went over by Craigs house last night to get his help running the Seafoam intake cleaning product through my car. I had tried this once but I didnt get enough in or let it sit long enough.

Craig poured half the can through my PCV vacuum hose on the drivers side of the engine while i sat in the car to work the gas to keep it alive.

After letting it sit about 20minutes, we cranked it up. It cranked up and idled fine, no smoking. I was thinking hmm maybe mine wasnt bad. Craig suggested I take it for a spin. I leave his house, start heading out and i noticed more and more smoke coming from the exhaust pipes. Short trip (2 miles maybe) it had stopped smoking.

Craig and I both decided to run the other half a can through the car. This time it was harder keeping the engine running since it still had some built up in it. Once it was all in adn the engine was off, craig poured a slight amount that was left in the can straight into the vacuum hose allowing it to puddle in the intake. We let it sit about 10minutes this time around.

Crank the car up, noticeable idle roughness, but not too bad as it was able to idle on its own. We let it idle about 5min as we clean everything up. As I leave, each hint of throttle produces more smoke. Driving out his road, the smoke was very noticeable at rpms under 2k. Once I got the main road, pulled out in first, then hit 2nd and ran it up slowing through the rpm's. Once the IMRCs opened at 3250, the smoke came out 10 fold! it blew smoke for about 20minutes worth of driving.

Now driving the car this morning after all of that, it seems to be running smoother and maybe a tad bit stronger. I havent ran it up to redline at WOT yet because of traffic around but for $6 bucks the can of seafoam was defintely worth it. I dont know how much good it did, but it defintely did something from the amount of smoke and crap it was blowing out.

Scothew
05-06-2005, 10:24 AM
woops, meant to put this in the review section.

edit: Lee beat me to it :doh: :nice:

99LS1
05-06-2005, 12:00 PM
did you change your oil when you got home?

Scothew
05-06-2005, 12:26 PM
No, am i supposed to or something?

99LS1
05-06-2005, 12:40 PM
Seems like you should to me, and the posts I read you should. All the crap running through your exhaust, I'm sure some of it will get into the oil pan. I'd at least check the dipstick to see if the oil looks dirtier than usual.

Craig K.
05-06-2005, 06:23 PM
Usually you do not need to change the oil when you run it through the intake.

You can run Seafoam in the crankcase (directly in the oil) after about an hour of run time (check the can for sure on the time) you need to change the oil.

Scothew
05-07-2005, 05:32 PM
FYI I ran a can through Anj's 01 v6 with 60k miles.. it smoked 10 times worse than my car that had 130k miles. Hers has mostly been city driven so I was guessing it has had some major build up. Man it was bad. After driving the car some, it seems alot more responsive and picks up speed more than it did before. Doesnt seem to be gasping for air as bad anymore either.

Thunderstorm
05-09-2005, 07:54 AM
What's the mileage recommendation for using this product on your car? Cars over 50K? 75k?

Scothew
05-09-2005, 09:15 AM
I dont know a recommendation honestly. I ran it on mine at 130k and anj's at 60k.

95GTMan
05-28-2005, 05:29 AM
I also gave this stuff a shot. I ran some through my car Thurs. afternoon and again yesterday afternoon. My car it produced lots of smoke, I guess since it has nearly 183,000 miles on it. Well it cured my bogging and hesitation problems while cruising, also my throttle responce is loads better. Another thing it cured was the bogging I was experiencing when the car would shift from first to second after taking off from a dead stop. The tick I am eperiencing is not gone but it is resonably quiet now, and my idle is a lot smoother. All in all I think this stuff is worth the 6 bucks. :chug:

Last thing I still have a some left so I was going to try it in the oil to see what it would do. I am going to add it to it and give it a couple of days then change my oil.