PDA

View Full Version : Suggested order of tuning (via tweecer)

QWKSNKE
05-15-2005, 09:28 AM
Stole this from a post by Clint on the Tweecer forum. :D

1) Enter the MAF and injector slopes and offsets that will get the car running. This is usually a first guess of what the slopes and MAF curve should be. They do not need to be perfect at this point.

2) Enter cam specs and calculate the base injector timing. I would not recommend doing a WOT or heavy load pull at this point. This is just to get a base. What ever cells in the calculation are empty (N/A), I would fill in with logical numbers from surrounding cells. Again this is just to get a base injector timing table.

3) At this point the MAF and or slopes need to be dialed in. There are several approaches to do this.

3a) If you have the MAF curve from the manufacture, I would start with that, and then I would calculate the slopes using the EEC Analyzer. This is done on the "Injector Slope" dialog and not the PW vs KAMRF tab. This will get the slopes very close. After that I would fine tune the MAF with either a WB or KAMRF's. The object is to get the KAMRF's as close to 1.0 as possible if you are using a KAMRF method. If you are using a WB, the object is to get the LAMBSE's and WB readings as close as possible.

3b) If the MAF curve is unknown and the slopes are known, then you should leave the slopes alone and adjust the MAF to match the slopes. You can use either the KAMRF or WB method to do this.

3c) If the slopes and MAF are unknown then you can either adjust the MAF to match the slopes or the slopes to match the MAF. In most cases I would match the MAF to the slopes. It is easier to guess at the slopes than it is the MAF. This means that you should leave the slopes at some known value and adjust the MAF to match.

4) Now calculate the Throttle Body air flow and ISC Neutral air flow numbers.

5) Now you can do a few WOT pulls and fine tune the Injector timing.

6) I would now tackle the sea level load scaling. Run a data log through the EEC Analyzer and adjust the blue line up or down to match the red line.

The above six steps (overly simplified) have worked for me. Each car reacts differently and will require different adjustments. This is the main reason why I have not tried to publish a sequence of calculations. It is solely up to you. If I am missing some step here please jump in and add it.

Thanks Clint :D

86GT
05-16-2005, 02:24 AM
Hey that looks familar:popcorn:

Sendero
05-16-2005, 02:50 PM
3a) If you have the MAF curve from the manufacture, I would start with that, and then I would calculate the slopes using the EEC Analyzer. This is done on the "Injector Slope" dialog and not the PW vs KAMRF tab. This will get the slopes very close. After that I would fine tune the MAF with either a WB or KAMRF's. The object is to get the KAMRF's as close to 1.0 as possible if you are using a KAMRF method. If you are using a WB, the object is to get the LAMBSE's and WB readings as close as possible.

I have a question about this, basically "how do you do it"? I have a WB and read the Injector Slope help file (not the PW vs KAMRF help file) and it didn't follow what you have posted here.

So how would I use this with my WB?

Also, the settings button on the Injector Slope option, what do I need to put there. There are 4 fields for slope numbers and 2 fields for breakpoint, Do I need to put my stock settings in all those fields?

86GT
05-16-2005, 10:17 PM
3a was maybe a little vague. I guess I will have to elaborate a bit.

The settings tab on the "PW vs Required Fuel" dialog is supposed to represent the range of the calculation. This means that if you have 24lbs injectors then you will want to start with say 20 in the low setting and 30 in the high on both the low and high slopes. I would start with an increment of 0.25. If you have an A9L then select the "breakpoint as a function" option otherwise select "breakpoint as a scalar".

The calculation will now calculate all of the possible combination within the range that you specified in the settings dialog. Once the calculation is done, go back to the settings tab and narrow the range down around the previously calculated results and make the increment smaller. This will get the calculated results tighter.

With that all done the KAMRF's should be in pretty good shape. This is when you would use the PW vs KAMRF calculation to view how close you really are. I would then use the MAF tab, with the WB option to dial in the MAF points that are causing the KAMRF variations.

I will look into the help file to make it more precise.