PDA

View Full Version : Cam shaft towers?

rtusnake
05-16-2005, 07:08 PM
Wondering if you can take just one of the camshaft towers( camshaft cap clusters) without having to take the timing chains off or locking down the cams? This is my cobra motor btw. My left front one on the drivers side has a crack in it and I want to replace it. Any idea of how much a new one costs? Everytime I do something to my car something else has to be fixed to. :banghead:

rtusnake
05-16-2005, 07:12 PM
Well read my haynes manual and answered my own question. This pisses me off cause I was ready to put the motor back together. What would cause one of the towers to crack? This is right beside one of the bolts.

Sendero
05-16-2005, 07:15 PM
Well read my haynes manual and answered my own question. This pisses me off cause I was ready to put the motor back together. What would cause one of the towers to crack? This is right beside one of the bolts.

Picture? I'm guessing, but do those things have a torque rating?

Wicked
05-16-2005, 07:42 PM
Picture? I'm guessing, but do those things have a torque rating?

Everything has a torquet rating. Overtorque, or improper torque sequence, would be my guess as well.

rtusnake
05-16-2005, 08:28 PM
I can't get any pics cause I don't have a digital camera at the house. I was reading the manual and it says you have to take out each bolt 1/4 turn at a time in the reverse tightening squence until they come out by hand. Believe there is 12 bolts in both and you have to take both off. Just want to know what might have caused it.

Wicked
05-17-2005, 04:42 PM
I can't get any pics cause I don't have a digital camera at the house. I was reading the manual and it says you have to take out each bolt 1/4 turn at a time in the reverse tightening squence until they come out by hand. Believe there is 12 bolts in both and you have to take both off. Just want to know what might have caused it.

So if you take too many out while some others are tight, the tight ones are now share a much higher load than before.

QWKSNKE
05-17-2005, 07:17 PM
I am unsure what part you are referring to. Is what holds the cam in? If so, could it be that you do that sequence because of the valve spring pressure that would be against the cam lobes?

Wicked
05-17-2005, 08:08 PM
I am unsure what part you are referring to. Is what holds the cam in? If so, could it be that you do that sequence because of the valve spring pressure that would be against the cam lobes?

That's what I figured. If you loosen all of the bolts on one end, the bolts at the other end support all the spring pressures.

rtusnake
05-17-2005, 08:17 PM
Yeah thats what they do. I read some more and what wicked said is true. I guess if you don't take them off like said it may damage the other holder or maybe the cam