PDA

View Full Version : Intake whistle...

Thunderstorm
05-25-2005, 07:52 AM
Alrighty then. This is my first K&N air filter, so this may be normal. I installed the K&N back when I installed the C&L intake on my car. Probably 2 months ago. Just yesterday, it starts this whistling thing when I rev the motor in neutral. Sounds like someone making the boat whistle noise by blowing into a bottle of beer. It's only temporary (i.e., it doesn't last through the throttle range). Just for a second at the beginning. Kinda annoying. The filter is way too new to need re-oiling, right??? I mean, after only 2000 miles?

Anyone seen this, or have a clue as to what it might be? It's coming from that general area. I checked the connections on the intake last night and they are all tight and flush. I am at a loss. Is this normal. Should I play the radio louder?

:dunno:

Sendero
05-25-2005, 09:07 AM
Alrighty then. This is my first K&N air filter, so this may be normal. I installed the K&N back when I installed the C&L intake on my car. Probably 2 months ago. Just yesterday, it starts this whistling thing when I rev the motor in neutral. Sounds like someone making the boat whistle noise by blowing into a bottle of beer. It's only temporary (i.e., it doesn't last through the throttle range). Just for a second at the beginning. Kinda annoying. The filter is way too new to need re-oiling, right??? I mean, after only 2000 miles?

Anyone seen this, or have a clue as to what it might be? It's coming from that general area. I checked the connections on the intake last night and they are all tight and flush. I am at a loss. Is this normal. Should I play the radio louder?

:dunno:

dE wh1Stl3 y0us3 h3rin d1s m0r3 @ir y0!

Seriously, my C&L tru-flow inlet pipe did the same thing. Most of the time if you stomped the throttle from a cruise you'd hear it briefly. Welcome to the world of mods, it just gets louder from here!

Sidenote: on the K&N, dependant on what kind of roads you drive you shouldn't have to re-oil your filter for a while. If you live on a dirt road, maybe every 6-10 months. I re-oil mine at least once a year, but its all city streets. When you do re-oil, make sure you don't have to go anywhere for a while. A lot of people spray on the oil and slap it on the car. This is a no-no because the oil is not dry enough and can become airborne, dirtying up your MAF sensor. I at least let mine bake on for 4 hours, with heat, before reinstalling.

Thunderstorm
05-25-2005, 10:48 AM
Well, sounds like I just need to get used to the fact that my car can now whistle...

Wonder if I can teach it to make the wolf whistle.. :rofl:

Save me from having to do it everytime I see a hot woman!!!

coupe
05-25-2005, 03:48 PM
Been in car for 2 months...then starts whistling? You ain't foolin' noone.
Prochargers will whistle a little. :D

99LS1
05-25-2005, 03:52 PM
My talon whistles pretty loudly, loud enough for Nathan to hear it over his car :D Need to get that checked into :think:

Italian LX
05-25-2005, 03:56 PM
I've got a whistling throttle body. :shrug:

Purple1995Pony
05-25-2005, 03:58 PM
just put a louder exhaust system on ...... :metal:

Wicked
05-25-2005, 04:24 PM
That sound is the engine sucking. My 02 GT did it when I removed the air silencer. I liked it.

Thunderstorm
05-25-2005, 08:58 PM
Been in car for 2 months...then starts whistling? You ain't foolin' noone.
Prochargers will whistle a little. :D

No, seriously just started when I got it back from the shop this week. Damned weird. I am getting used to it. I am wondering if when I re-oil the filter it will quit.

Thunderstorm
05-25-2005, 08:59 PM
That sound is the engine sucking. My 02 GT did it when I removed the air silencer. I liked it.

That's what everyone keeps saying. Apparently I was lucky it didn't do it until now. Just reminds me of popeye the sailor man or something. Kinda funny.

Thunderstorm
05-25-2005, 09:00 PM

:werd:

Those magnaflows didn't make the car any louder. :shrug:

slvrbullit
05-26-2005, 11:40 PM
I've got a whistling throttle body. :shrug:

My 75mm TB does the same thing.

Italian LX
05-27-2005, 04:59 AM
:werd:

Those magnaflows didn't make the car any louder. :shrug:
If you remove the cats, it will be louder. :burnout:

Italian LX
05-27-2005, 05:03 AM
No, seriously just started when I got it back from the shop this week. Damned weird. I am getting used to it. I am wondering if when I re-oil the filter it will quit.
These types of harmonic sounds tend to be hit or miss when they happen. When I first bought my throttle body, I heard it whistle all the time (usually at idle). However, sometimes, it wouldn't do it at all. :think:

Now, the only time I hear it is when someone else is in the car and they ask me "What's that sound?" :D

Italian LX
05-27-2005, 05:06 AM
Some intake whistles are more pronounced than you'd think. Since mine occurs usually at idle, I'd need open-headers to cover up the sound. :D

Thunderstorm
05-27-2005, 05:13 AM
If you remove the cats, it will be louder. :burnout:

Hmmm..ideas, ideas.....thank God I live in Alabama where we can still polute the air as much as we want! :rofl:

I heard a while back bama was on track to do the same vehicle "inspection" tag as other states (of course, to save the environment - not just for the money). Wonder where they stand on that.

Thunderstorm
05-27-2005, 05:14 AM
These types of harmonic sounds tend to be hit or miss when they happen. When I first bought my throttle body, I heard it whistle all the time (usually at idle). However, sometimes, it wouldn't do it at all. :think:

Now, the only time I hear it is when someone else is in the car and they ask me "What's that sound?" :D

:lol:

Uh...what sound??

banditmwp
05-27-2005, 05:18 AM

Kinda like the A/C vent in your living room?

:shrug: :jester:

Italian LX
05-27-2005, 05:24 AM
Kinda like the A/C vent in your living room?

:shrug: :jester:
:lol: :yup: