PDA

View Full Version : Need a CAI for the '95

Craig K.
05-31-2005, 10:02 AM
So now that I have pullies and an exhaust on the '95, the next step is to do a CAI (it does have a K&N drop in filter already).

I am looking on e-bay, and see all of these new CAI kits for anywhere from $22.00 to $100.00 and they all look the same. The really cheap ones (under $30) are engine compartment systems, the ones that are over $30 are in the fender systems.

All of these look to come with all the hard tubing, washable filters, and all associated hardware.

So what gives? Why on e-bay could I buy a CAI for $50 (cost of chipping included) where as a MAC or other system will run me nearly $100 more?

Is there something I am missing?

TheJeanyus
05-31-2005, 10:12 AM
I really like my Densecharger. MM&FF did a test on '03 Cobra CAIs, and the Densecharger came out on top. The plastic tubing should resist heat from the engine bay better than a metal intake, too.

QWKSNKE
05-31-2005, 10:25 AM
Craig,

I would really consider going with a good CAI setup if you are wanting to install one. Either one like the Densecharger that Joseph mentioned or something along the AFM pipe.(pricey but gets good reviews from people on other forums)
Especially if you ever plan to do HCI upgrades.

EZ SPEED
05-31-2005, 12:15 PM
I had the MAC "lookalike" from ebay that I got for about $28 on my 94 Cobra, worked great and was much better made than I expected. Fit perfect. :nice:

Oh...btw...mine was the one with the filter in the fender

It was aluminum tubing..not that cheap fake chrome crap either.

93Cobra#2771
05-31-2005, 12:39 PM
Avoid the ones that place an open air filter in the engine bay. Avoid the ones that put a SHARP bend directly in front of the MAF.

And remember, your factory airbox is a CAI... :D

94five0
05-31-2005, 01:37 PM
craig, i bet ya ya could buld one w/ home depot materials better than the ones tuners are askin for. i'm still not sure why i bought my bbk kit, its metal and it sits several inches from my block..can't be good for power. its a fender well model tho, so that might change everything..:D :shrug:

it looks pretty, but i can't tell a massive difference in performance. get heads and a cam.. :yup:

Craig K.
05-31-2005, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the advice/opinions.
I really don't see myself doing a real lot with this car, maybe a set of heads in the next years or so, maybe more, but being that it is my DD and I drive close to 100 miles per day, I won't go extreme with it.

I would like to do the CAI thinking that it may free up a little bit of power, might inprove milage (by a very small amount) and is a realatively cheap upgrade.

Just looking at the $30 dollar fender induction kits compared to the $130 fender kits, I just don't see any difference.

Concerning making one myself, I have thought of it, and might look into it a little.

Not sure what I will do, yet.

QWKSNKE
05-31-2005, 09:06 PM
on a stock car, you will not see any gains with the CAI (performance or mpg)

Sendero
05-31-2005, 09:16 PM
on a stock car, you will not see any gains with the CAI (performance or mpg)

:werd: I neither made nor lost any HP with my C&L setup. Unless you change H/C/I the stock Ford stuff will do.

Craig K.
05-31-2005, 10:52 PM
:werd: I neither made nor lost any HP with my C&L setup. Unless you change H/C/I the stock Ford stuff will do.

But the parts look so shinny and pretty, they must be worth a couple of HP.

:jester:

I guess for no I will be leaving the stock stuff on, if/when I come across a good deal, I will buy.

TheJeanyus
06-01-2005, 06:22 PM
That's what I did - I held on to the stock intake until I found a Densecharger on Ebay for $77 shipped.

ninjzx998
06-02-2005, 01:15 PM
I bought a $30 cheapie on ebay, stupid ACT sensor bung was the wrong thread and I had to drill it out and stuff it in. People were idiots when I called to complain. That said it cleared up some room in the engine bay and yes it was shiny and I got to dump the factory airbox, made intake pulling a lot easier.

95whitevenom
06-02-2005, 10:29 PM
AFM power pipe and a 80MM PRO-M its what i got and i like it.

ujslost
06-06-2005, 08:54 PM
I got one of those $30 from ebay and mine exits thru the fender. As far as HP, i dont think i gained any, but didnt do a dyno base on that mod either.
But i dont think there can be a differance in the expensive or the cheaper ones, i mean hell mines mandrel bent, fits perfect, its a pipe, whats could the big differance be really? see pics of mine below