PDA

View Full Version : 95 Cobra with Pullies Question

Craig K.
06-02-2005, 11:30 PM
I have the new pullies on now, the concern that I have is that the belt almost touches between the water pump and the idler pullies, due to the increase diameter of the water pump pulley.

I have heard that you should either remove the idler pulley, or run the belt over it (bypassing it).

My belt is about to break (hope I make it home) so I will be buying and installing a new one tomorrow.

Do any of you guys (Eric, Tommy, Jase) have experience with this?

natedawgg94
06-03-2005, 04:01 AM
Do you have the smog pump deleted? If you do and are not running a dummy pully you can use a k6905 belt it works pretty good.. :chug:

EZ SPEED
06-03-2005, 04:44 AM
I ran stock pullies on the 94 Cobra and was using a smog delete pulley so that I could run a stock belt.
Sorry I cant be more help.

QWKSNKE
06-03-2005, 05:23 AM
What pulleys do you have? The stock underdrives or did you buy some new underdrives

95whitevenom
06-03-2005, 07:19 AM
Dude I have ASP's on my 95 cobra and im not bypassing the idler pulley and im still using the stock size belt.

93Cobra#2771
06-03-2005, 08:30 AM
Sounds like you are bypassing the smog. If so, there is an alternate routing for bypassing the smog...

Craig K.
06-03-2005, 09:55 AM
I do not plan on bypassing the smog.

I have aftermarket under drives (not sure of the brand) crank is reduced, water pump and alternator are larger.

There is very little space between the water pump pulley and the idlar pulley (not tensoner).

The stock belt is thin, so there is a slight gap between the two sections of the belt at that point (at the water pump pulley and the idlar pulley).

Occroding to the ASP website, on Cobra's only, you remove the idlar pulley and run the stock belt.

The stock Cobra belt is 105", the stock GT belt is 104.5".
Tommy and I talked about this last weekend, we are not sure what is differerent on the Cobra to make the belt 0.50" longer.

EZ SPEED
06-03-2005, 09:58 AM
Tommy and I talked about this last weekend, we are not sure what is differerent on the Cobra to make the belt 0.50" longer.

Supposedly the Cobra already has an underdrive pulley on the waterpump. Lee will correct me if I am wrong about this.

Here is what I have in my files I got from another board:

94–95 Cobra Specs
Here is a list of items that are unique to the Cobra vs the GT (94-95)
If anyone has anything to add to this list feel free to e-mail me.

Engine/trans

The Cobra engine was under rated at 240bhp from the factory compared to the GT's 225bhp and was only available with a 5 speed and 3.08 rear end gears.

Cast iron GT40 heads
Cast aluminum Cobra intake manifold
Crane 1.7 rocker arms
24lb fuel injectors
Cobra specific ECU (computer)
"Cobra" stamped valve covers with build sticker and signature
Engine oil cooler
Front mounted power steering fluid cooler
Lightened flywheel
Phosphate coated transmission gears
Overdriven waterpump pulley
Cobra specific camshaft
Cam specs: Duration: 227°/Intake & 270°/Exhaust
Lift: .485/.485 Intake/Exhaust
Lobe separation: 118.5°

Suspension/Brakes

13" Front brakes
11.65" rear brakes
"Cobra" embossed front calipers
Cobra specific brake booster
Cobra specific rear sway bar
Cobra specific shocks/struts/springs
K-member that is slightly stiffer than the GT's
No strut tower brace

Interior
Steering wheel center / Airbag cover embossed with "Cobra"
White faced gauges
160mph speedometer
"Cobra" embroidered floor mats

Exterior
Cobra specific 17" wheels
Cobra specific rear spoiler with integrated 3rd brake light
Cobra specific front bumper cover
SVT emblem on decklid (95-up, not on 94)
Cobra emblems on front fenders (no 5.0L emblems)
"Crystal" (clear) headlights
Round cobra specific foglights

Other info:
The 94-95 Cobra came with a 60mm throttlebody (like the GT), not the 65mm alot of people believe it to have. The 93 cobras came with a 65mm.
Although the 94-95 Cobra came with 24lb injectors it still uses the same MAF (mass airflow meter) as the GT. The Cobra specific computer compensates for the 24lb injectors.

QWKSNKE
06-03-2005, 10:09 AM
Supposedly the Cobra already has an underdrive pulley on the waterpump. Lee will correct me if I am wrong about this.

Here is what I have in my files I got from another board:

:yup:

I thought it was all pulley's though. Didn't realize it was just the water pump pulley

Craig K.
06-03-2005, 11:45 AM
I am kinda thinking of trying to get a slightly smaller OD idler say a 3" instead of the factory 3.5".

Then I would use the GT belt length (104.5").

Bypassing the idler just doesn't seem right, and there is barely enough of a gap between the water pump and idler (when the belt is installed) to see light.

93Cobra#2771
06-03-2005, 12:36 PM
So they changed the pulley setup on the 94's vs. the 93's? 93's had an underdrive crank pulley, overdrive (smaller) WP pulley, and all other pullies were the same as the standard 5.0. :shrug:

Craig K.
06-03-2005, 04:08 PM
Well I ended up going to Napa and got a 3" OD idler pulley vs. the stock 3.5" OD pulley (My bearing was starting to go bad anyhow).

Then the frustration began.
I first went with a belt that was 104.25" (stock GT is 104.5") this was too short.

Then I tried my original belt with the new idler, this worked fine (but my belt is bad, only a four groove now).

So I went back to Napa and got an original call out belt, the only problem was the belt in the package was not the correct part number, and was way to short.

So Napa ran to Vestavia Hills for me and got a correct belt, only this one was just a hair short.

So we mesure my belt on the car, and it was 106.375" (stock Cobra is supposed to be 105").

So Napa checked and they have one. There sizes go from 104.25 to 105 to 106.375.

The 106.375" fit fine, but the tensioner is slithgly to the soft side, but after driving into work (35 miles) it seems to be fine.

I just love changing things from stock.....ugh

94five0
06-04-2005, 11:04 PM
i've got march underdrives and all my emission equipment. smog, alt, ps.. sans my cats. works fine w/ my stock serp. belt. :shrug: