PDA

View Full Version : Low RPM tranny chatter....

Thunderstorm
06-03-2005, 10:34 AM
I thought this might be cleared up when they put the missing bolts in the bell housing, but it hasn't. In 1st and 2nd, when in low rpms (like starting off in second), the tranny makes a noise like marbles in a tin can. Chatters until RPMs pick up. Is this just normal business for the Tremec?

99LS1
06-03-2005, 10:36 AM
the car is trying to stall from taking off at too low of an rpm? :shrug:

Thunderstorm
06-03-2005, 10:47 AM

No, not really...motor's not lurching or anything. I was just giving examples. It's just low rpm's in low gears. Chatters until about 1500-2000. First or second gear.

Thunderstorm
06-03-2005, 10:58 AM
You know, I was thinking about it and you have a good point. Do you think because 2nd is such a short gear, it chatters until the rpm's pick up? This happens mostly in traffic jams. I don't creep along in 1st usually because the throttle is too touchy. I usually sit i second cause the car won't stall out and is less "jumpy". When I do get to move along and I hit the gas, it chatters until it reaches close to 1000K or more. Then it disappears. So it's not the motor wanting to stall, cause there isn't a lurch...but the tranny vibrates until rpms pick up. Maybe I am just not used to all the little quirks of a 5 speed. (Last 7 cars were autos...) :shrug:

Wicked
06-03-2005, 04:02 PM
Just a quirk of the Tremec 3650. I notice some ocassionally. Some are worse than others.

Does the noise seem to be coming from the shifter? May need better isolation from the tranny. I am just thinking about how loud the gear noise was after I put the Steeda Triax shifter on and left out the rubber isolators.

TheJeanyus
06-03-2005, 04:26 PM
Just a quirk of the Tremec 3650. I notice some ocassionally. Some are worse than others.
:werd:

Does the noise seem to be coming from the shifter? May need better isolation from the tranny. I am just thinking about how loud the gear noise was after I put the Steeda Triax shifter on and left out the rubber isolators.
:werd: I can't remember if you have an aftermarket shifter or not, but they'll make that little noise a lot more noticeable than the stock shifter (atleast on the pre-'05 Mustangs).

M1Speed
06-03-2005, 10:39 PM

when i first got my car, It was making a similar noise. But i agree it sounded like the engine was stalling. i wasnt giving enough gas upon releasing the clutch.

Thunderstorm
06-03-2005, 11:47 PM

Sounds more like it's right at the bell housing, which is why I thought it might be the heat shield rattling - hence the addition of the bolts that were missing might have cured it. But no. I can feel it in the shift knob but the noise is underneath the car. The best way to describe it is to put marbles in a tin can and sit it on top of a belt sander. Chattering metal...